Monster; Miles Davis Tribute vs. Miles Davis Trumpets, how do they compare?
Dec 16, 2011 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

imy14lionheart

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has tried both of these iems, and what they could tell me about their respective sounds and comfort etc? I've looked around but couldn't find a proper comparison, thanks in advance guys.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 19

Quote:
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has tried both of these iems, and what they could tell me about their respective sounds and comfort etc? I've looked around but couldn't find a proper comparison, thanks in advance guys.

I too would like to know the answer to your question. 

But the way things are leading, it seems that the best way to find out the answer is to buy the iem your self and compare. 

Just from guesing, I think the tributes might be a little better because most companies base their price on how the demand is, and it seems that a lot of people has given the Tributes a good review.  So it must be better.  Also, i feel demand is related to how good a product performs...But this is just a guess.....

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
and it seems that a lot of people has given the Tributes a good review.  So it must be better.

Please don't ever post a comment again.

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:

don't you think that was a bit too harsh? 
blink.gif

He seems new to these forums so you can't really expect all his comments to be precise..

There aren't a lot of reviews for the trumpets quite yet here at head-fi. 
I do appreciate the sexy design Monster created though!
wink_face.gif

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:

Y?

Id like to ask why shouldn't post a commen ever again?  Please answer?

I think your F$/kin rude.  

I think I know why.    

You must be one of the famous and coolest Person in this forum and you don't have to think before you type.   

As I lurk more and more in this forum, im starting to realize some people here are pathetic. I think you're one of them.  

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 19
Here's one comparison:

"Comparison purposes:

Miles Davis Tributes

Lol, I put in my MD's after not using them for awhile and they sounded overly warm, muffled, lacking clarity like many nubs often complain. I readjusted my fit by removing the inner air pressure and inserted deeper like I usually wear. Sorry, it's been awhile. I also remembered they like power so I hit the gain switch. All better, he he.

Everything is just lusher, weightier and meatier than the Trumpets. It is warmer but not lacking in detail just brightness. In fact, I think the MD's are actually more resolving. I hear things I don't on the Trumpets. I think the differences are a case of coloration and presentation versus resolution tbh. The quality of the overall bass is also better though it's a more mid bassy, always on, low end presentation rather than low/sub bass like the Trumpets that lets you breathe more.

Presentation is more intimate with less air and separation but nothing puts me off personally and actually prefer it for some genres. Due to the added warmth the tone isn't as good as the Coppers and Trumpets for Brass, horns or whatever else resides up there.

So the basic differences are more mid bass and less treble presence and clarity. More present and linear bass response with rich forward mids which can be a good or bad thing depending. Where the Trumpet is more extroverted and flashy the Tributes are more relaxed and seductive. The Tributes are really best for more thinly mastered older recordings or genres that take advantage of the Tributes coloration. Original B-52 masters come to mind from my AB playlist for example. Doesn't have to be Jazz from the 40's.

Curious, I wonder what a ported Tribute would sound like? Hmm....."

The full post is here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/532192/new-miles-davis-trumpet-not-tribute-earphones/240#post_7777093

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 19
That is a little harsh man. The individual was just trying to find the right link to the right place. The search bar can be a little difficult especially when it is a very broad topic such as this.

To me, I prefer the tributes for some reason. However, again, I only had the trumpets for a day (from best buy) and then returned it because I thought it was lacking the lows I preferred. You do have to consider I like a little mid-bass bleed. Some people don't like it, but it is my cup of tea.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 19
Figure I'd create an account to reply to this thread... Been a long time reader on Head-fi though :) ... 1/2 of my google searches wind up giving me an answer from this site, hah.

Miles Davis Tribute vs Miles Davis Trumpet Comparison

I had the Tributes for several months, and have now had the Trumpets for several months as well (sold my Tributes and bought the Trumpets for $250 when they first came out at BestBuy... I have no clue why BestBuy was having a sale on a brand new item that was still in the back of the store and they only got one in stock, but whatever haha).

Bass
The Tributes obviously have more bass. But the bass is also a lot more "in your face, don't ignore me!" type of bass - for lack of better words. You feel bass in almost every part of the song, it doesn't really go away. Add in the fact the headphones are heavier... a lot heavier... than the Trumpets (which weigh about as much as stock iPod earbuds, maybe a bit more adding in the in-line control dongle which is pretty big). This weight, the earbud being "closed", and just having more bass in general, makes the Tribute a lot more of an "intense" experience. I would have to almost mentally prepare myself to get ready for it before putting them in to listen to music (that's an exaggeration, but the idea behind it is true). It feels like you're locking yourself into music world, shutting yourself out from the rest of the world and going for a ride.

Clarity
The Trumpets don't lack bass, but it is definitely cleaner and not so in your face. The Tributes seem to have a "muddy" bass, almost like you would expect from a pair of jazz headphones This isn't bad, I loved the Tributes to death, but it is different. The Trumpets definitely have less bass power (but the power is still there for sure, and it seems like they're more picky than the Tributes when it comes to really applying that power), but are clearer. I feel like I can hear the kick of the bass drum in the actually recording studio, whereas with the Tributes I would hear the bass, but it just seemed more like bass you would hear from an Usher song or something (not that dramatic, but I feel like I can hear more tiny-small things things with the Trumpets).

Final Comparisons (as my attempt to organize things was failing)

- The Tributes are more "exciting" and fun to listen to. If I had both still sitting right next to me and needed to get pumped up for something, I would pick the Tributes.

- The Trumpets are much more of a Head-Fi type headphone in my opinion. I feel like I can pick apart things much better, and these seem to bring out the best (and worst) parts of recordings.

- Build quality is about the same for both - it's great. The Trumpets first look like they could snap because they're so thin in certain areas, but I've never had a single worry about breaking them.

- I found 2 or 3 earbud tips that worked great with the Trumpets. But with the Tributes, I was constantly switching different ones around because nothing ever seemed to be "perfect." This seemed strange, as they are both super-tips... but the Trumpet's super-tips are a bit different in terms of shape than the Tributes.

- Both headphones are eye-catching, especially with the blue cords. But the Trumpets definitely have brought more looks and more comments than the Tributes. They have a very expensive look to them in almost every part of the headphone - the in-line controller shines with a silver/gold finish... and even the part that connects the two ends together has a gold center to it - just adding to the expensive "wow" factor.

- The Trumpets have an in-line controller has mentioned. This not only makes iPod listening much easier, but also turns quite a few heads - it's the one piece that people look at first, it seriously stands out like crazy.

- Finally... Both have very cool blue-colored cables... But the Trumpets have "flat" style cabling. This makes the cable more eyecatching, far more than the Tributes which it could be tough to tell if the cable was even blue, for sure (if you're into that)... But more importantly it means they don't get tangled up. My Tributes would constantly get tangled up - even after just a minute in my pocket lol. And the cabling is "grippy rubber", meaning untangling them was a chore. It's literally night and day in this category, the Trumpets barely ever get tangled - even after hours in my pocket.

Long Story Short...
The Trumpets seem a lot cleaner and more precise. Almost like you would use them to critique music, wanting to hear every little detail - good or bad. The Tributes seem a bit more "in your face" powerful. They are more taxing to listen to - being heavier, more in your face, and more intense overall. But, the Tributes do have a certain feeling to them that makes them fun to listen to, and a bit more exciting - I found myself tapping my foot or dancing without realizing it more with the Tributes.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 19
ArcAngel66
Thanks a lot for your input it was detailed and pretty much explains what both iems are like. I too made an account a while back because most search results brought me here anyway and the community is awesome. I'll keep everyone's opinions in mind.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
Figure I'd create an account to reply to this thread... Been a long time reader on Head-fi though :) ... 1/2 of my google searches wind up giving me an answer from this site, hah.

Miles Davis Tribute vs Miles Davis Trumpet Comparison

I had the Tributes for several months, and have now had the Trumpets for several months as well (sold my Tributes and bought the Trumpets for $250 when they first came out at BestBuy... I have no clue why BestBuy was having a sale on a brand new item that was still in the back of the store and they only got one in stock, but whatever haha).

Bass
The Tributes obviously have more bass. But the bass is also a lot more "in your face, don't ignore me!" type of bass - for lack of better words. You feel bass in almost every part of the song, it doesn't really go away. Add in the fact the headphones are heavier... a lot heavier... than the Trumpets (which weigh about as much as stock iPod earbuds, maybe a bit more adding in the in-line control dongle which is pretty big). This weight, the earbud being "closed", and just having more bass in general, makes the Tribute a lot more of an "intense" experience. I would have to almost mentally prepare myself to get ready for it before putting them in to listen to music (that's an exaggeration, but the idea behind it is true). It feels like you're locking yourself into music world, shutting yourself out from the rest of the world and going for a ride.

Clarity
The Trumpets don't lack bass, but it is definitely cleaner and not so in your face. The Tributes seem to have a "muddy" bass, almost like you would expect from a pair of jazz headphones This isn't bad, I loved the Tributes to death, but it is different. The Trumpets definitely have less bass power (but the power is still there for sure, and it seems like they're more picky than the Tributes when it comes to really applying that power), but are clearer. I feel like I can hear the kick of the bass drum in the actually recording studio, whereas with the Tributes I would hear the bass, but it just seemed more like bass you would hear from an Usher song or something (not that dramatic, but I feel like I can hear more tiny-small things things with the Trumpets).

Final Comparisons (as my attempt to organize things was failing)

- The Tributes are more "exciting" and fun to listen to. If I had both still sitting right next to me and needed to get pumped up for something, I would pick the Tributes.

- The Trumpets are much more of a Head-Fi type headphone in my opinion. I feel like I can pick apart things much better, and these seem to bring out the best (and worst) parts of recordings.

- Build quality is about the same for both - it's great. The Trumpets first look like they could snap because they're so thin in certain areas, but I've never had a single worry about breaking them.

- I found 2 or 3 earbud tips that worked great with the Trumpets. But with the Tributes, I was constantly switching different ones around because nothing ever seemed to be "perfect." This seemed strange, as they are both super-tips... but the Trumpet's super-tips are a bit different in terms of shape than the Tributes.

- Both headphones are eye-catching, especially with the blue cords. But the Trumpets definitely have brought more looks and more comments than the Tributes. They have a very expensive look to them in almost every part of the headphone - the in-line controller shines with a silver/gold finish... and even the part that connects the two ends together has a gold center to it - just adding to the expensive "wow" factor.

- The Trumpets have an in-line controller has mentioned. This not only makes iPod listening much easier, but also turns quite a few heads - it's the one piece that people look at first, it seriously stands out like crazy.

- Finally... Both have very cool blue-colored cables... But the Trumpets have "flat" style cabling. This makes the cable more eyecatching, far more than the Tributes which it could be tough to tell if the cable was even blue, for sure (if you're into that)... But more importantly it means they don't get tangled up. My Tributes would constantly get tangled up - even after just a minute in my pocket lol. And the cabling is "grippy rubber", meaning untangling them was a chore. It's literally night and day in this category, the Trumpets barely ever get tangled - even after hours in my pocket.

Long Story Short...
The Trumpets seem a lot cleaner and more precise. Almost like you would use them to critique music, wanting to hear every little detail - good or bad. The Tributes seem a bit more "in your face" powerful. They are more taxing to listen to - being heavier, more in your face, and more intense overall. But, the Tributes do have a certain feeling to them that makes them fun to listen to, and a bit more exciting - I found myself tapping my foot or dancing without realizing it more with the Tributes.

Yes, i just changed my Trumpets into a Tribute just moments ago, and i can say the same thing as well, tributes are much better.

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 19
Sorry to bring up an ancient thread lol, but I just got the Monster Trumpets practically in new condition for £32 on eBay and they're awesome. Took some tip swapping but they are way better than I thought they were going to sound. They actually sound very much like the Final e4000, but more cohesive, less bass bloat and with better resolution, especially on the edges of the soundstage. Would they have represented the same value if I'd bought them at £242 when they first appeared... probably not, but if I'd paid £100-150 they wouldn't be out of place with sets at the similar price these days. Love the tip collection... they're going to be great with other sets in the collection :)

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #15 of 19
Sorry to bring up an ancient thread lol, but I just got the Monster Trumpets practically in new condition for £32 on eBay and they're awesome. Took some tip swapping but they are way better than I thought they were going to sound. They actually sound very much like the Final e4000, but more cohesive, less bass bloat and with better resolution, especially on the edges of the soundstage. Would they have represented the same value if I'd bought them at £242 when they first appeared... probably not, but if I'd paid £100-150 they wouldn't be out of place with sets at the similar price these days. Love the tip collection... they're going to be great with other sets in the collection :)

If you need replacement or backup ear tips, then get in touch with these guys and they might even send to Scotland for cheap:

https://earphonesplus.com/replacement-earbud-tips-for-monster-earphones/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back