Monster Miles Davis Tribute thread
Mar 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,966 of 2,269
Hey Dubbed Man ,so you got the MDs , how you liking them? some pretty powerful bass on these dude ! when i amp these up with my solo srg2 and Yamaha rig the mid bass is mind blowing ,i don't really like jazz music much ,even on these but heavy rock and metal they sure can pound it out 
happy_face1.gif
, and you just gotta love that trumpet case , its so cute 

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #1,967 of 2,269
well i have W3s and the MDT and an e6 is on the way.  I'm fairly new to the audio scene but i've read a lot about amps increasing clarity, sound stage, bass, etc.  I bought the e6 to test to see if amping is something i really wanted out of my portable music before dropping $100 on something better.  Just looking at other amp options that might benefit my 2 headphones.

Quote:
well i only have my ZO2 - and i don't consider the ZO2 as a proper amp.
Why are you needing to amp these?

I think, for the MDT's looking at something like the E11 or even the E6/5 would be a better option - as they need no bass, and don't really need any more colouring - they are very much alive as it is.

MG7's were dead, and were resurrected by the ZO2 - type thing.

What I'm saying is that the ZO2 brings a beautiful fullness to the sound + a bassheads dream of bass - it isn't really "just" an amp.

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #1,968 of 2,269
Quote:
would really love to hear your impressions on how these sound with an amp as i have been looking for one recently.

I know the question wasnt directed at me, but with my Titanium HD sound card, the bass becomes quite visceral; this is with the card set to audio creation mode. I almost think it tips it over the edge of excessive (but that's just me).
Through the Schiit Valhalla, it sounds a little too mushy(although I feel this is because it's already taking a smooth IEM and rounding the notes even more).
All in all, they do benefit from amping, but anything flat or meaty seems to overpower the bass.

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #1,969 of 2,269
I know that my opinion wasn't being solicited, but I'll offer it up as well since I've got the ZO2v3 and have just gotten the SoundMagic A10.

MDTs w/ZO2v3:

If you like head rattling bass, it's going to be difficult to beat this combination. I don't know if I know anyone who could handle the bass produced at anything above the "Yellow" contours on the ZO. There are a few drawbacks I noticed though.

1. There is a reduction in the soundstage with the ZO. Things sound quite a bit more intimate and the mids lose any airyness they may have had. I wouldn't go as far as to call it veiled, just not as open.
  2. Some sparkle and crispness lost in the highs.
  3. Anything over a greenish/yellow on the contour causes the bass to get pretty sloppy. The MDT is already a little slow in the bass, the extreme bass boost of the ZO can make things intolerable. 

MDTs w/Soundmagic A10:

As soon as I fired up the MDTs with the A10 a smile spread across my face. The natural warmth of the sound from the A10 seems to be a perfect pairing with the MDTs. I was especially happy that the added warmth did not come at a cost of soundstage or detail/clarity/sparkle in the mids and highs. The bass boost is much more subtle than I expected and does a great job of limiting itself to what i'd guess is 800hz and below. There is a slight loss of soundstage, but I think that's only a because the bass is so prominent. I think the reason the bass boost is less noticeable is that even with it off, bass with the A10 is "brought forward" in the mix. It just seems to be more noticeable than when listening without the A10. I wouldn't really call it a boost per-say, just more...full. To be honest I'm trying to come up with some draw backs to the MDTs on the A10, and at this point I'm at a loss. Depending on how the A10 does with boosting my phone and Zune in my car, I may have to put my ZO on the For Sale forum.

All of my listening was done using my Zune 8GB player and HTC Arrive (Sprint) listening to a variety of tracks and qualities from WMA Lossless to MP3 192. Steely Dan/FM, Steely Dan/Peg, Mord Fustang/Lick The Rainbow, Starry Eyed (Minnesota Remix), Cassie/Me&u(LoBounce Remix), Crosby Stills & Nash/Dark Star, VibesquaD/Dangerface

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #1,970 of 2,269
thanks for your insight!

Quote:

I know the question wasnt directed at me, but with my Titanium HD sound card, the bass becomes quite visceral; this is with the card set to audio creation mode. I almost think it tips it over the edge of excessive (but that's just me).
Through the Schiit Valhalla, it sounds a little too mushy(although I feel this is because it's already taking a smooth IEM and rounding the notes even more).
All in all, they do benefit from amping, but anything flat or meaty seems to overpower the bass.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #1,979 of 2,269
  Those Admins at HeadFi LOL!!! Aprils Fools!!!!!!!! (Is that what happenned?)

no it didn't - and it wasn't a april fools joke (if only)
Still no explanation behind it :wink:

Ok some MDT feedback:
Liking them, but not loving them.

My 2nd set will be going up for sale on ebay

Here is my full review of the MDT's
FYI: I make no money, nor have any sponsors on my site - so I'm only linking to my website, as I have my review there, and WILL NOT (after being banned experience) be posting it here. Sorry.

In short:
Mid-bass centric, lil drowned out mids and highs.
they really benefit from EQ'ing

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,980 of 2,269

no it didn't - and it wasn't a april fools joke (if only)
Still no explanation behind it :wink:

Ok some MDT feedback:
Liking them, but not loving them.

My 2nd set will be going up for sale on ebay

Here is my full review of the MDT's
FYI: I make no money, nor have any sponsors on my site - so I'm only linking to my website, as I have my review there, and WILL NOT (after being banned experience) be posting it here. Sorry.

In short:
Mid-bass centric, lil drowned out mids and highs.
they really benefit from EQ'ing

Glad you are back. I'm surprised in the review how poorly you rated the mids in these I feel like that is the strength of the headphone Mids then Bass then Highs with none in the 3 areas being worse than good to very good. I'm loving mine my Atrio's have been retired to my Gym/Workout headphone. I listen to the MDT's at work during the day and if I have listening to do swap to the HFI-780 at home to mainly have a change from an in ear to over ear while at home.

I'm still very curious about the Denon D2000's but at the moment am content and likely will be for awhile as the wallet is a little empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back