Monster Hunter World
Feb 6, 2018 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Monsterzero

Headphoneus Supremus
Any Head-Fiers enjoying the latest MH?

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 59
I've been playing a little on PS4. Haven't had too many chances to play since we're working on the CanJam NYC preview right now, but I'll be playing more once the schedule opens up a little. I've been enjoying the bow and sword/shield. I know that @Tom Yum Goong, @Stillhart and @bunnynamedfrank have played it as well. Maybe we can pick their brains a little too. :wink:

Feb 6, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 59
I started using the Insect Glaive yesterday...apparently theres more to this weapon than simply clipping under the monster and mashing the o button...Who knew?! :)

Any other weapon suggestions?

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 59
Feb 6, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #7 of 59
I started using the Insect Glaive yesterday...apparently theres more to this weapon than simply clipping under the monster and mashing the o button...Who knew?! :)

Any other weapon suggestions?

Every weapon plays differently. Think of them like different characters in a Street Fighter type game or different classes in a RPG. The nice thing is you can change up whenever you want. It took me a while to settle on a "main" weapon but I'm fine with that. I experimented a lot and I enjoy almost all the weapons but I kept coming back to one that just felt the most awesome to me: the hammer.

I don't expect this will be for everyone so I suggest just trying lots of weapons. It'll be a while before you have to really pick a main and even then you don't HAVE to as long as you're okay farming up the parts for lots of different weapons.

The Glaive pretty much requires that you get all of your buffs from the kinsect before going to town, so there's that build-up phase. I loved it in the training area, but apparently I'm crap when it comes to actual hunting with it. :p

I can already tell you Stillhart's suggestion: Hammer. Hammer. Hammer.

The glaive is a "technical" weapon so it takes a little more work to play it well. But because of that, it can also be more rewarding when you do get the feel for it. I've discovered that a more simple weapon at the start was really helpful for me as a noob because learning the monsters' moves and timing is really important and doing that while also wrestling with the controls on a complex weapon isn't the easiest thing to do. That's why the weapons with more simple move sets are often recommended to beginners (e.g. Sword and Shield, Dual Blades, Long Sword, Hammer, Bow).

I just bought it. Probably going to start on it Wednesday night.

Woo!!

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #8 of 59
I just bought it. Probably going to start on it Wednesday night.
Hot diggity daffodil! I just hit rank 4, and I'd love to join you if you want company on a hunt/forage.

The glaive is a "technical" weapon so it takes a little more work to play it well. But because of that, it can also be more rewarding when you do get the feel for it. I've discovered that a more simple weapon at the start was really helpful for me as a noob because learning the monsters' moves and timing is really important and doing that while also wrestling with the controls on a complex weapon isn't the easiest thing to do. That's why the weapons with more simple move sets are often recommended to beginners (e.g. Sword and Shield, Dual Blades, Long Sword, Hammer, Bow).
Yeah, I'm super rusty with the MH franchise, so coming back and picking up a bow felt comfortable. I'm kinda itching to try the gunlance and horn, but those'll wait until I get more of the game's timing down. The bow also feels incredibly rewarding when you hit that perfect Dragon Pierce from head to tail, often breaking one or more areas in the process.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 59
That's why the weapons with more simple move sets are often recommended to beginners (e.g. Sword and Shield, Dual Blades, Long Sword, Hammer, Bow).

I started off with the dual blades but I found after awhile it didnt do enough damage,at least the ones I can currently upgrade to.

I still need to give hammer and long sword a day in court,but today im gonna try and get good with the glaive.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 59
Yeah, I'm super rusty with the MH franchise, so coming back and picking up a bow felt comfortable. I'm kinda itching to try the gunlance and horn, but those'll wait until I get more of the game's timing down. The bow also feels incredibly rewarding when you hit that perfect Dragon Pierce from head to tail, often breaking one or more areas in the process.

Check out Arrekz's bow tutorial. Makes me want to give it a go!

I started off with the dual blades but I found after awhile it didnt do enough damage,at least the ones I can currently upgrade to.

I still need to give hammer and long sword a day in court,but today im gonna try and get good with the glaive.
I think you need the elemental or status DB's to really max their effectiveness. They don't do big "HOLY CRAP!" damage, but they can output constant dps with short animations so you have time to dive out of the way when needed. I'll say that my first "wall" in the game was Anjanath and I used the water DB to beat him. I'm not a huge fan of the play style, but in that instance, it really worked for me. These days, I'll take on anything with the hammer. :-D

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 59
DB also needs stamina modifiers to allow for more time in demon form. There are insects (I forget the name at the moment) scattered around that reduce the amount of stamina spent when you consume them. As a bow user, I grab them every time I pass one. And of course once you add on elemental and status damage, the damage output really kicks up. Also don't forget to eat meals before and during hunts.

Anjanath was a wall for me in expeditions. For a while I was using the base bow and armor, and I couldn't do enough damage before he fled. In the main story he wasn't an issue since the limit was much longer. I could avoid his fire and charges with reasonable consistency, taking my time and playing it cautiously. Once I upgraded to a third-tier bow I could hunt him before he departed.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 59
DB also needs stamina modifiers to allow for more time in demon form. There are insects (I forget the name at the moment) scattered around that reduce the amount of stamina spent when you consume them. As a bow user, I grab them every time I pass one. And of course once you add on elemental and status damage, the damage output really kicks up. Also don't forget to eat meals before and during hunts.

Anjanath was a wall for me in expeditions. For a while I was using the base bow and armor, and I couldn't do enough damage before he fled. In the main story he wasn't an issue since the limit was much longer. I could avoid his fire and charges with reasonable consistency, taking my time and playing it cautiously. Once I upgraded to a third-tier bow I could hunt him before he departed.
Wiggly Lichi!

There's also Dash Juice and eventually armor and weapon mods that reduce stamina use.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 59
I sunk something like 600 hours into MH 3/4/Generations combined, so you can bet your bottom dollar I'm playing MHW!
Unlocked the Nergigante hunt yesterday, main weapons are Hunting Horn and Gunlance (Gunlance + blast damage is just too dang satisfying).

Quick tip: Make extra double sure to unlock the Palico gear thing in the Rotten Vale. Will save you a load of time when you farm for materials.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #14 of 59
I sunk something like 600 hours into MH 3/4/Generations combined, so you can bet your bottom dollar I'm playing MHW!
Unlocked the Nergigante hunt yesterday, main weapons are Hunting Horn and Gunlance (Gunlance + blast damage is just too dang satisfying).

Quick tip: Make extra double sure to unlock the Palico gear thing in the Rotten Vale. Will save you a load of time when you farm for materials.
I got the Plunderblade last night. I was trying to trigger the event to get it the wrong way so I couldn't get it for the longest time. I figured it out now though! Looking forward to leveling it more!

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 59
Here's a dumb question...How does one go about changing the arrow types for the bow?
I cant seem to use anything other than the close range coating.Ive crafted other types of coatings but theyre 'X' out.What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back