Monster Cable Quality?
Mar 12, 2006 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

peterpan188

100+ Head-Fier
I have just built a PIMETA (yet to be in a case), and I started wondering how the quality of Monster Cables are. I saw a Mini to RCA monster cable is selling for 18 bucks, do u guys think its worth it?
I know that many would say making my own cable would be more cost efficient, and I will someday in the summer start making some cables, but before that I need something thats will last till that time. What is your experience with Monster cables?

Thank you

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpan188
I have just built a PIMETA (yet to be in a case), and I started wondering how the quality of Monster Cables are. I saw a Mini to RCA monster cable is selling for 18 bucks, do u guys think its worth it?
I know that many would say making my own cable would be more cost efficient, and I will someday in the summer start making some cables, but before that I need something thats will last till that time. What is your experience with Monster cables?

Thank you

We don't really like Monster round here, firstly because they are often overpriced and secondly because they have rather questionable business practices.

However, for your $18, if it's an interlink 200, I'd say pass on it, but if it's an interlink 400mk2, then it's a pretty decent cable for the money. However note that it uses a very bulky connector around the miniplug that puts a lot of strain on the jack and limits its placement somewhat.

You might do better with one of these: http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...hort-16-in.php.

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #3 of 6
Would this be the interlink 400 mk2 you are talking about? This wasn't what I metion before, which is this, but it looks like what i saw in the picture from radioshack of a interlink 400mk2 you metioned.

The one from headroom looks very nice, but it kinda over the price range counting the shipping into it. I was looking for somthing less than 20.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
We don't really like Monster round here, firstly because they are often overpriced and secondly because they have rather questionable business practices.

However, for your $18, if it's an interlink 200, I'd say pass on it, but if it's an interlink 400mk2, then it's a pretty decent cable for the money. However note that it uses a very bulky connector around the miniplug that puts a lot of strain on the jack and limits its placement somewhat.

You might do better with one of these: http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...hort-16-in.php.

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

the second part 100% total agreement.i am still wating to get sued for using the "Rickmonster" title from time to time considering how many suits were for far less
very_evil_smiley.gif

the first part is less so.there are low to mid level products that are actually a bargain and while I do not have specific model numbers off hand can say the lower cost portable cable is pretty darn good for the price and the low-mid price toslink cables as good if not better than anything out there at the same price point.
The higher cost products may or not be quality or even a perfect match for some systems but no way I spend that much to find out and especially so since my taste in interconnects and speaker cables run totally opposite to what they sell.

Rickmonster Supremus Rex
icon10.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpan188
Would this be the interlink 400 mk2 you are talking about? This wasn't what I metion before, which is this, but it looks like what i saw in the picture from radioshack of a interlink 400mk2 you metioned.

The one from headroom looks very nice, but it kinda over the price range counting the shipping into it. I was looking for somthing less than 20.

At the price, the Interlink 400 is a much better sounding cable than the second, however the miniplug will exert more force on the jack as it is bigger, heavier, and the cabling is much heavier.

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

At the price, the Interlink 400 is a much better sounding cable than the second, however the miniplug will exert more force on the jack as it is bigger, heavier, and the cabling is much heavier.

Truly the weak spot of all portable audio.No matter how high the quality,and most are severely lacking there using easily deformed springy metal as the contact point,the strain of a plug+cable weight+everyday use in motion beats the crap out of this connection and is the most common reason for portable gear failure.

The Mini TRS is small and light but sucks as a connector.The TRS is a good solid connection but sucks for sqeezing into tiny spaces.The RCA also too bulky for portable duty and can pulls out slightly losing ground contact.......

doomed we are,all doomed
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back