Monoproce Monoliths good or just blatant bad copies.

Did Monoprice totally rip off Audeze's designs?

• Total voters
Mar 2, 2018 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

omegaorgun

Previously known as FireLion
So I was listening to a interesting podcast where it was mentioned how Monoprice basically ripped off Audeze's design. They compare it to having a real Ferrari vs a Kit car that looks like a Ferrari. Not one but two designs, the isine is even more obvious than the m1060.

Should Monoprice have tried to make it not so obvious and at least tried to house the driver in a more unique enclosure?

EDIT:I actually ended up buying an m1060c from a head-fi member as I am not ready to buy something like an Audeze just yet but it might lead to me eventually getting one so I guess it's a matter of perspective. If I was Audeze I would just sell the vegan pads and make a profit from that.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't think there's any question when it comes to the M300 in-ear planar -- even the accessories are almost identical. With the M1060, it's a little more "very heavily inspired", I'd say.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't think there's any question when it comes to the M300 in-ear planar -- even the accessories are almost identical. With the M1060, it's a little more "very heavily inspired", I'd say.

Now if Audeze created a $300-$400 planar...might blast Monolith sales right in the kisser. Huge market at this price point compared to $1000+.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 13
Hmmm, yeah, I don't thank that's ever going to happen, not counting the iSINE LX and iSINE 10.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 13
Hmmm, yeah, I don't thank that's ever going to happen, not counting the iSINE LX and iSINE 10.

If you look at the TH-X00 at around $400, how many of those sold? Maybe they could build a lite version of one of the premium sets based on an older design just like the th-x00.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 13
If you look at the TH-X00 at around $400, how many of those sold? Maybe they could build a lite version of one of the premium sets based on an older design just like the th-x00.

A little confused about your question... Fostex TH-X00 isn't planar, it has biodynamic drivers, and while the design itself looks nice, it's not particularly all that unique or iconic, unlike the Audeze designs. They look an awful lot like a lot of other headphones made by Foster for Denon.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 13
there's only so many designs for headphones that work, and for things like that whatever the overseas oem's do is to keep costs lower, and try to keep that within parameters of a functional build. Which again i am guessing limits design aspects.
That's my useless comment for the day

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 13
A little confused about your question... Fostex TH-X00 isn't planar, it has biodynamic drivers, and while the design itself looks nice, it's not particularly all that unique or iconic, unlike the Audeze designs. They look an awful lot like a lot of other headphones made by Foster for Denon.

Not a question. I know they are not planar. I am talking about the business model that fostex took on with massdrop. Re-sell an existing design with some changes at a price point that more people are willing to buy.

Sell 20 headphones at $1000 = $20,000

or

Make a cheaper version and sell 100 at $450 = $45,000

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 13
Not a question. I know they are not planar. I am talking about the business model that fostex took on with massdrop. Re-sell an existing design with some changes at a price point that more people are willing to buy.

Sell 20 headphones at $1000 = $20,000

or

Make a cheaper version and sell 100 at $450 = $45,000

I'd probably be one of the people joining such a hypothetical drop if they did one, but the only designs I can think they might be willing to recycle would be the discontinued EL-8 series. The basic design of the LCD series is something that lives on in their existing lineup and I can't imagine they would consider any of those designs "old" really.

Mar 2, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #10 of 13
Imagine the warranty nightmare there though.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 13
It
I'd probably be one of the people joining such a hypothetical drop if they did one, but the only designs I can think they might be willing to recycle would be the discontinued EL-8 series. The basic design of the LCD series is something that lives on in their existing lineup and I can't imagine they would consider any of those designs "old" really.

Audeze
Topic of discussion here

Yup, I'll put it on top.

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #13 of 13
I actually ended up buying an m1060c from a head-fi member as I am not ready to buy something like an Audeze just yet but it might lead to me eventually getting one so I guess it's a matter of perspective. If I was Audeze I would just sell the vegan pads and make a profit from that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back