Monoprice Monolith THX 887 - Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #48 of 359
Just got home from work. Got the 887 out and plugged in to the RME ADI-2. Buttons feel solid, but the volume knob position indicator is VERY hard to see. Sounds great, sounds like A+ solid state amplification. The 887 is really pushing the beryllium drivers of the Verite to provide some incredible punch and slam. Much bigger stage and more open than ADI-2 AMP portion. Very clean details and top notch resolution. Noticeably less organic than BHC+SB, and Mjolnir 2. Just about what I remember the 789 being, maybe a tad bit more body, although I did not own the Verite at the time that I had the 789.
I appreciate that the 887 has the little extra width to allow the RME to stack on top without spilling over the edge like it did on the 789. The 887 also stacks nicely under the Liquid Platinum. Will look into more detailed impressions with comparisons vs the ZDT Jr, Liquid Platinum, and Mj2 when I get more listening with the Verite/887 combo. But so far all is great.
IMG_7216.JPGIMG_7219.JPG
gx8dB7NhGLL3pWpa8

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #50 of 359
How's the build quality? Anyone also have an Asgard 3 to compare?
Build quality seems solid. It doesn’t feel cheap aside from the power button and input selector which are a bit underwhelming feeling. I listened to the Asgard 3 a few weeks back at the schiitr And I was not that impressed. I definitely would say the 887 is going to be cleaner and providing a much faster application of the vérité driver. In terms of build quality and feel though, the Asgard 3 will be hard to beat.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #51 of 359
Just got home from work. Got the 887 out and plugged in to the RME ADI-2. Buttons feel solid, but the volume knob position indicator is VERY hard to see. Sounds great, sounds like A+ solid state amplification. The 887 is really pushing the beryllium drivers of the Verite to provide some incredible punch and slam. Much bigger stage and more open than ADI-2 AMP portion. Very clean details and top notch resolution. Noticeably less organic than BHC+SB, and Mjolnir 2. Just about what I remember the 789 being, maybe a tad bit more body, although I did not own the Verite at the time that I had the 789.
I appreciate that the 887 has the little extra width to allow the RME to stack on top without spilling over the edge like it did on the 789. The 887 also stacks nicely under the Liquid Platinum. Will look into more detailed impressions with comparisons vs the ZDT Jr, Liquid Platinum, and Mj2 when I get more listening with the Verite/887 combo. But so far all is great.

gx8dB7NhGLL3pWpa8

MAN, you have a nice collection!:thumbsup:

Shane D

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #52 of 359
Build quality seems solid. It doesn’t feel cheap aside from the power button and input selector which are a bit underwhelming feeling. I listen to that has guard three a few weeks back at the schiitr And I was not that impressed. I definitely would say the 887 is going to be cleaner and providing a much faster application of the vérité driver. In terms of build quality and feel though, the Asgard 3 will be hard to beat.

It should be better for double the price.

Shane D

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #54 of 359
Thanks. All the amps aren’t staying, was just trying to find what I liked best with the VO. I’ll likely be keeping only the 887 and then building another BHC+SB since I just sold the one I had.

I am in the same boat. I have a Vali 2 which will eventually morph into a Lyr 3. I will likely move my Liquid Spark as I have an LCX. I think/hope I will be replacing my Burson Fun-Classic with my (on the way), 888, also known as the SP200.

Shane D

PS: I have a Koss E95X system arriving today or Monday and I will have to see if I like that. I will hopefully have all this figured by/after Christmas.

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #55 of 359

gx8dB7NhGLL3pWpa8

I would be Really interested to see if you prefer the Liquid Platinum or the 887 and what kind of music you listen to. I wish there were local meets around here to compare all these wonderful toys. That would be an Amazing Saturday or Sunday!

Shane Delaney

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #56 of 359
@Shane D I listen to 75% electronic music (all over the place, except rave/mainstream) and about 10% metal, 5% rock, 5% indie, 5% movie soundtrack.
I assume you're looking for a comparison of "sound quality performance." I've kind of come to discover that this "best performer idea" isn't really something that can be absolute and objective. For instance comparing the LP to the Mj2 to the BHC+SB to the ZDT Jr, it's more a game of trade-offs and finding which character traits are most important to you. I can appreciate one amp over the other if judging based on detail retrieval, and the opposite if judging on stage size or imaging... Many times I prefer one amp over the other on a song to song basis. It would probably be safe to argue that if you make the jump to an amp (or source, or headphone) in a completely different price bracket you will have less compromises in each area and more positives.
Considering the price difference though, it's pretty easy to choose the 887 over the LP unless tube rolling is something that is a must have or you're specifically interested in having an amp that can change character profiles. The 887 also has an extremely low noise floor for IEMs, whereas the LP is NOT going to be your friend for sensitive IEMs. The 887 also has selectable gain which is a huge plus for anyone without a pre-amp as the gain is pretty high on the LP.

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #57 of 359
@Shane D I listen to 75% electronic music (all over the place, except rave/mainstream) and about 10% metal, 5% rock, 5% indie, 5% movie soundtrack.
I assume you're looking for a comparison of "sound quality performance." I've kind of come to discover that this "best performer idea" isn't really something that can be absolute and objective. For instance comparing the LP to the Mj2 to the BHC+SB to the ZDT Jr, it's more a game of trade-offs and finding which character traits are most important to you. I can appreciate one amp over the other if judging based on detail retrieval, and the opposite if judging on stage size or imaging... Many times I prefer one amp over the other on a song to song basis. It would probably be safe to argue that if you make the jump to an amp (or source, or headphone) in a completely different price bracket you will have less compromises in each area and more positives.
Considering the price difference though, it's pretty easy to choose the 887 over the LP unless tube rolling is something that is a must have or you're specifically interested in having an amp that can change character profiles. The 887 also has an extremely low noise floor for IEMs, whereas the LP is NOT going to be your friend for sensitive IEMs. The 887 also has selectable gain which is a huge plus for anyone without a pre-amp as the gain is pretty high on the LP.

Too bad our tastes are so different. I understand you on there is no "best", as it it is just preference. My Beyerdynamic T5P.2's sound Great with my Cavalli amps VS my Vali 2 or Burson Fun-Classic. I am now finding that the amps can fit the headphones. My Grado's sound great with the Vali 2. And on it goes. I would love to try the Platinum. As far as the 887 goes, it seems that most of the THX comparisons coming out are pretty even, between the 789, 887 or 888. As they should be, except for minor features.

Shane D

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #58 of 359
I'm starting to notice an undesirable mid-forward sound to the 887. It's not disproportional forward really, just very present without much engagement. This may be cause of the Verite tuning being revealed/exaggerated.
The staging and instrument placement is also quite unique on the 887 after listening to all tube amps for the past month or so. Almost like the 887 doesn't know where to put stuff at times so it kinda just awkwardly guesses where it should go. Less cohesion compared to LP or Mj2.

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #59 of 359
@ Shane D Switching back to the Liquid Platinum after a couple hours on the 887;
It's obvious how much more 3D the LP is compared to the 887. The 887 stage is bigger in general, but the imaging and frontal depth is better on the LP. Cymbals have 3D texture that's more lifelike and produces a sound that is representative of an actual cymbal rather than the sound that a cymbal makes as with the 887.
On the other hand the 887 is much more linear than the LP (currently running Bugle Boy tubes) and 887 has more reach in the lower bass regions as well.
The 887 is also ridiculously fast.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #60 of 359
@ Shane D Switching back to the Liquid Platinum after a couple hours on the 887;
It's obvious how much more 3D the LP is compared to the 887. The 887 stage is bigger in general, but the imaging and frontal depth is better on the LP. Cymbals have 3D texture that's more lifelike and produces a sound that is representative of an actual cymbal rather than the sound that a cymbal makes as with the 887.
On the other hand the 887 is much more linear than the LP (currently running Bugle Boy tubes) and 887 has more reach in the lower bass regions as well.

I have become a big fan of the "Cavalli sound" with the LCX and the Liquid Spark.

I don't care for neutral anything.
My 888 will be completely shaped by my Schiit Loki.
The Vali 2 (and Lyr 3) can by tuned via tubes.
The LCX certainly has its own sound.

I wonder how the Lyr3 would sound against the LP?

Please keep your thoughts coming.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back