Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 5, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #8,026 of 8,051
Anyone have a compendum of mods to do on the m1060? Currently looking at doing the hexagon grill side v5 by Atilllla and DrSchnickistein's front side trochoid fazor. Also pad swapped to the Dekoni Choice Velour pads as well. Anyone else on the forum have a clue on how to fix the wood cracking on the m1060? Not afraid to take it apart, but the extra effort to do so kinda sucks
Don't know of one but I've been documenting my mods on the Avantone Planar in a similar way. It might be useful for this thread to have a complete list.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #8,027 of 8,051
Don't know of one but I've been documenting my mods on the Avantone Planar in a similar way. It might be useful for this thread to have a complete list.
Yeah, still trying to figure out which fazor would be better PockyG's or DrSchnickistein's seems like both have a different design and would probably effect the sound differently.

Jan 6, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #8,028 of 8,051
Yeah, still trying to figure out which fazor would be better PockyG's or DrSchnickistein's seems like both have a different design and would probably effect the sound differently.
What problem are you trying to solve with a fazor?

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #8,029 of 8,051
What problem are you trying to solve with a fazor?
The biggest problem for me are the mids, sounds like something is missing from them so hoping the fazors will be able to bring them back and fix them up a bit. I am just unsure of what the difference between @PockyG and @DrSchnickistein fazors designs are.

Edit: I do eq, but it would be nice for the headphones to not need a bunch of eq to sound good as there are times when I do not have the eq software available to me

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #8,030 of 8,051
The biggest problem for me are the mids, sounds like something is missing from them so hoping the fazors will be able to bring them back and fix them up a bit. I am just unsure of what the difference between @PockyG and @DrSchnickistein fazors designs are.

Edit: I do eq, but it would be nice for the headphones to not need a bunch of eq to sound good as there are times when I do not have the eq software available to me
A fuzzor mod would probably tame the highs in such a way that the mids re-appear. You could try a fazor mod but if the print doesn't have high enough tolerances then it could create slight distortions.

Right now Oratory is tinkering around with my pair to figure out why it sounds the way it does.

Here is an image of my mod vs stock. "Raw" being my modded M1060 and "Target" being the stock M1060

Heldaeus Mod M1060.png

My mods are:
  • Full Alcantara Vesper Audio Pads
  • LOSODO Grill w/ removed aluminum mesh
  • Fully felt lined front and back volumes (Fuzzor mod)
  • Removed stock foam

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #8,031 of 8,051
A fuzzor mod would probably tame the highs in such a way that the mids re-appear. You could try a fazor mod but if the print doesn't have high enough tolerances then it could create slight distortions.

Right now Oratory is tinkering around with my pair to figure out why it sounds the way it does.

Here is an image of my mod vs stock. "Raw" being my modded M1060 and "Target" being the stock M1060

Heldaeus Mod M1060.png

My mods are:
  • Full Alcantara Vesper Audio Pads
  • LOSODO Grill w/ removed aluminum mesh
  • Fully felt lined front and back volumes (Fuzzor mod)
  • Removed stock foam
The legendary Oratory1990, was thinking of sending my pair in, but felt like it would be a bit of a commitment to wait as I know hes quite the busy man. His original m1060 eq worked wonders for me, might try out doing fuzzors instead of fazzors if I don't like the sound. Thanks!

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #8,033 of 8,051
Hello, I’ve read a lot in this forum but this is my first post. I want to ask if someone got an extra pair of HE-560 headbands from the 10$ deal. I live in Norway (think I bought the pair from the guy over here) so the shipping of 57$ is a bit steep. Or if you have any other recommendations for headband replacements.

I’ve done the fuzzor mod on the ear-side with some fuzzy Velcro filt, 2-3mm thick, and I’m not sure if I liked it before the mod, (new to audiophile, mud it sounds kind of muffled) could the thickness and fuzz remove clarity? I did enjoy the vocals getting warmer with the velcro (was able to listen at louder volume so the bass got more impressive too) Should I try to do the mod again with 1mm hard felt and double sided tape?

I also wonder if the ibasso dx160 is powerful enough to drive these headphones? balanced output 6,4Vrms (from power calculator I get 800 something mW)

Currently have ThieAudio Legacy 3 CIEM, Sennheiser HD650 (insane sweet vocal, plays nice on the ibasso dx160, but hope m1060 to replace these), Meze 99 Noir Massdrop (To much bass/love the air from open back so gonna sell these)

I also enjoy modding things so just come with suggestions.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #8,034 of 8,051
wonder if the ibasso dx160 is powerful enough to drive these headphones? balanced output 6,4Vrms (from power calculator I get 800 something mW)

the dx160 is driving my m1060c's in balance output with no issues. I've also used my HE-400i's, and haven't had any issues.

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #8,035 of 8,051
Hello all,

I've been reading this thread with great interest - it's a brilliant source of info.

I've struggled enough with my AKG K702 - their sound profile simply doesn't work for me. Initially I planned to buy and mod some T50rp MK3, but that led me to the 1060... And I managed to score a really nice looking pair of 1060c from eBay at a great price, hopefully they're arriving tomorrow! Can't wait to try them.

The previous owner is including the standard backs as well as an open back kit he has in place. I'll experiment a bit over the next week and figure out whether I want to amend the sound profile any more.

I'm intrigued by fuzzor mod -- just last week I had my Yamaha MOX8 open to overhaul the keybed, and I used up a sheet of thin adhesive felt I had lying around to amend the action and dampen etc, so the fuzzor idea is right up my street!

It sounds like pretty much everyone replaces stock pads? If so, it seems my best options here in UK are
- Dekoni Elite Velour
- Brainwavz XL Micro Suede
Any advice on which would be better / the comparative change in sound with these two?

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #8,036 of 8,051
Hello all,

I've been reading this thread with great interest - it's a brilliant source of info.

I've struggled enough with my AKG K702 - their sound profile simply doesn't work for me. Initially I planned to buy and mod some T50rp MK3, but that led me to the 1060... And I managed to score a really nice looking pair of 1060c from eBay at a great price, hopefully they're arriving tomorrow! Can't wait to try them.

The previous owner is including the standard backs as well as an open back kit he has in place. I'll experiment a bit over the next week and figure out whether I want to amend the sound profile any more.

I'm intrigued by fuzzor mod -- just last week I had my Yamaha MOX8 open to overhaul the keybed, and I used up a sheet of thin adhesive felt I had lying around to amend the action and dampen etc, so the fuzzor idea is right up my street!

It sounds like pretty much everyone replaces stock pads? If so, it seems my best options here in UK are
- Dekoni Elite Velour
- Brainwavz XL Micro Suede
Any advice on which would be better / the comparative change in sound with these two?

Welcome to the thread and site, and congrats on getting a M1060C on the cheap. You may find more targeted info for modding your M1060C in THIS thread that is specifically for the M1060C.

Feb 18, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #8,038 of 8,051
Anyone driving their M1060 specifically with the Monolith Amp/Dac 122459?

It's out of stock right now but I'm probably going to get it for the M1060s I got a hour or so ago. Would love to hear your opinions on them together.

Otherwise, the Magnius/Modius is the 2nd choice I might shoot for if I get impatient waiting for them to restock the Monolith version.

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #8,039 of 8,051
1EB8268D-FC77-4817-9EAC-05C5A28959D6.jpeg

780C247D-7480-482E-99B6-D9E31E40FB31.jpeg

My finished mod of the M1060

Users who are viewing this thread

Back