Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Oct 17, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #7,381 of 8,051
Thanks for the response. It was difficult to assess how much the pads vs fuzzor mod contributed since most people review them with both mods done. I think the 1060 or 1060C will be a future headphone for me. I used to have the he400i and enjoyed them a lot. I found that even with the grills removed the soundstage wasn't as big as I wanted. How much more do the 1060 improve on this?
Considerably. The 1060 are bigger headphones and have a bigger soundscape. Bigger than HE-400i and even the HE-560. But that is with the leather Audeze earpads and fuzzor mod. With the mods, these are my favorite headphones of all the ones I’ve owned.

Oct 17, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #7,382 of 8,051
Thanks for the response. It was difficult to assess how much the pads vs fuzzor mod contributed since most people review them with both mods done. I think the 1060 or 1060C will be a future headphone for me. I used to have the he400i and enjoyed them a lot. I found that even with the grills removed the soundstage wasn't as big as I wanted. How much more do the 1060 improve on this?

I owned the HE-400i for several months. They were my favorite headphone until I got into the Monoprice Monolith line. Although I didn't have them at the same time to do a back to back comparison with them, I remember thinking

"Man, the M1060s have more this or that vs the HE-400i."

Soundstage, bass, and detail were the big ones that stood out to me. Since it has been so long since I listened to the 400i I can't say for sure, but I feel like the soundstage was somewhere between 25-50% greater. At least when you removed the foam behind the grill s on the M1060.

Removing the foam also seemed to increase detail, but it also sharpened up the highs to the point that it bothered me. However the fuzzor mod fixes that. I don't have the vegan pads so I don't know what they do to the sound.

Oct 19, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #7,383 of 8,051
so my xd 05 decided to crap out blew one of my opamps or something, replaced it with the original one. Was fine for a while and now it wont work at all. Wont be recongined by the computer . Anyways can someone recommend a quality amp dac under 2-300 that wont just break and can power the m1060s.

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #7,384 of 8,051
Schiit modi 3 + magni 3 is pretty hard not to recommend nowadays.

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #7,385 of 8,051
so my xd 05 decided to crap out blew one of my opamps or something, replaced it with the original one. Was fine for a while and now it wont work at all. Wont be recongined by the computer . Anyways can someone recommend a quality amp dac under 2-300 that wont just break and can power the m1060s.

I picked up a used Audio-GD NFB 11.28 (DAC/AMP Combo) for under $300 and it is great! You might be able to find one too. But I've also got a chance to try out the new JDS Labs EL Amp at RMAF a few weeks ago and it sounded even better and is under $300. The EL DAC is another 200 on top of that, but you don't have to get them together. You can run them separately.

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #7,386 of 8,051
M560 oval pads!
I finally got around to making a new set of M560 plates that enable the use of HyperX oval pads. Much better than my old 3-D printed plates, which were simply the same dimensions as the original plates. These new plates extend a little above and below for oval pads but don't look bad at all, actually integrate with the overall headphone better than I thought they would. The plates are a two-piece design so more complex to print than the old ones. There is an inner flat plate that snaps into an outer plate. This sandwiches the four magnets in place without the need of tape or adhesive. The outer plate has a raised grooved lip. The HyperX pad is fitted in under the lip and is held in place without the need for adhesive. This new design solves the M560 fit problem for me. The HyperX pads I am using are velour so some bass is sacrificed in exchange for the roomy, comfy fit. I was going to give up on the M560 due to fit issues if this didn't work, but I am happy with the fit now, so I'll hang on to them. They are my only closed can, or should I say open/closed can.

When the original pads on my M560s wore out I just cut the stock plates out of them and put brainwavz lambskin oval pads on. The standard plates fit snugly into the brainwavz and hold the pads well. I also tried brainwavz velour which are my favourites for comfort but the loss of bass was too much.

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #7,387 of 8,051
Anyone tried this?
I can't describe very well but the result like some kind of DSP more then tuning. And I like it very much!
Everything becomes fast, dynamic with layer. Especially on some upbeat music like Lose Yourself To Dance by Daft Punk.

Funny that I also try this but nothing special like above.

I try this without foam and grill.

Trying these suggestions out is another enjoyment generated by 1060

Oct 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #7,388 of 8,051
Trying these suggestions out is another enjoyment generated by 1060
If you have an open mind to try alternative mod. Highly recommand what I found this on the other forum (member: OlafR).
4_parts.gif
3_coin.gif

18-10-21_05.22.38.jpg

Honestly I'm not joking.
This mod very similar as my early thought on this post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...anar-headphones.820107/page-488#post-14419062

I'm going to improve this reflector with a magnetic attach base and a telescopic pole.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #7,389 of 8,051
If you didn't look ridiculous enough wearing M1060s, well there's a solution... haha.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #7,392 of 8,051
It must sound good because we have upgraded ourselves to aliens, aliens can do anything including listening to music at a level not appreciable by ordinary people ...

However, truly, I think the suggestion has some meaningful factor in it.

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #7,394 of 8,051
If you have an open mind to try alternative mod. Highly recommand what I found this on the other forum (member: OlafR).

Honestly I'm not joking.
This mod very similar as my early thought on this post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...anar-headphones.820107/page-488#post-14419062

I'm going to improve this reflector with a magnetic attach base and a telescopic pole.

These are priced pretty low compared to most of what I've seen.
Might try this out if I get a pair, as odd as it looks :dt880smile:

The magnet base would be a good idea I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back