Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Aug 6, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #7,306 of 8,051
I haven't heard anything about them not making the m1060 anymore. Where did you get that idea?
If I look on Amazon or eBay there are not many for sale.

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #7,307 of 8,051
Is anybody on this forum still printing plastic mods for these headphones. Considering buying a set

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #7,308 of 8,051
I installed the rear fazors, which necessitated removal of the foam/sponge discs. With the removal of the foam I'm finally hearing some improvement in the sound. Much less warm sounding now, but I'm finding the treble a bit too harsh. I'm also not crazy about having no dust protection for the drivers. I know some have used speaker grill cloth or cut up a pair of nylons and glued that material to the grills, but if like to find a.more elegant solution.

Ideally, I'd like to find a much thinner foam that would fit behind the rear fazors, allowing me to continue using them. Any suggestions? I did see the 2mm thick custom foams being sold on eBay by a dealer in China for $7.99, but I'm not sure they'll fit with the fazors.

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #7,309 of 8,051
I installed the rear fazors, which necessitated removal of the foam/sponge discs. With the removal of the foam I'm finally hearing some improvement in the sound. Much less warm sounding now, but I'm finding the treble a bit too harsh. I'm also not crazy about having no dust protection for the drivers. I know some have used speaker grill cloth or cut up a pair of nylons and glued that material to the grills, but if like to find a.more elegant solution.

Ideally, I'd like to find a much thinner foam that would fit behind the rear fazors, allowing me to continue using them. Any suggestions? I did see the 2mm thick custom foams being sold on eBay by a dealer in China for $7.99, but I'm not sure they'll fit with the fazors.
I also found the removal of the foam made the treble a little harsh. I did the fuzzor mods to tame this and now the treble is great.

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #7,310 of 8,051
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #7,312 of 8,051
Well, it looks like Brainwavz will be making micro-suede earpads. I just got an email announcing them. Other announcements include two new headphones. A $600 planar called the Alara to release in October and the $250 HM100 (a upgraded version of the HM5) in September.

Anyways, the micro-suede pads will be their oval and the XL Rounds which might be a good fit for the M1060/C and for only $30. Here is a screenshot of the email.

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 8.01.05 AM.png

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #7,313 of 8,051
Hi just jump into the M1060 few days.
Tried several mods, now stay on: Removed the grill. Replaced the thick foam by a black pantyhose, Removed the pad side felt and swap to a Acoustic Research AR-H1 rectanglar pads (I have several pads such as ZMF, HM5, D7000, Shure840, K701 etc but stay on this AR-H1 finally)

I tried towel paper and fuzzor but perfer a much open sound so.

However, I don't know anyone try this STRANGE mod before. I'll call it: a CUP WINGS.
You may take it a quick try of this Wing effect by a stupid easy demo:
Use 2 piece of cardboard, or normal letter envelope also works. Hold the cardboard behind the phone, just like put your palm behind your ears. You can hear a sound change immediatly.
You may adjust the cardboard angle, distance and position(around the cup rim), to feel how the imaging change quite obvious. Then found your sweet spot of Wings placement.

What I found is, these Wings will acts as a reflector. It will get a better control sounding if you find a sweet position.
And it also will affact the soundstage distance and direction. For example you can shift the stage a little to front, if you place the Wings on the front side of cups.
The Wing's angel will change the stage size, smaller size have a better details and intimated sound.

Now I'm thinking how to attach these Wings on the cup, but still can process an easy adjustment of angel and position.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #7,314 of 8,051
I don't know anyone reminded this before?
I'm now using the stock cable to make it balance, and found that there is an internal short circuit on L and R ground..... I guess they short both grounds at the Y join.
I don't know just my cable, or all Monoprice stock cable like this. Don't use the stock cable to make it balance, it's just a waste.......

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #7,315 of 8,051
Hello everybody, I hope you all have been well.

I was one of the early adopters of the M1060, I got the revised version with the different jacks and treated timber, however within 2 weeks the wood had cracked during a night when I had the warm aircon in my room going.
Due to a mishandling of my emotions I sold them because I was so distraught my headphones cup ring had cracked, I look after all my gear meticulously and I couldn't stomach knowing they had that.

During my time with them, I had performed the paper towel mod and the vegan pads from audeze were rolled out instead of the defaults it comes with, I was exceptionally happy with the headphones performance.
Since then, I have not been able to find a headphone that comes close, everything sounds terrible and I've been wanting to re-purchase them and do it all again, except for the following which I'm hoping to get answers to..

1. I had the 2nd revision, have there still been reports of cracking in the cups even these days?
2. Provided Audeze is no longer selling the vegan pads, do I have any alternatives that will provide the same effect?
3. Is there anything else I should know since the early days of the 2nd revision coming out / paper towel / vegan pads. (I'd really prefer not to trawl through the many many pages added since my last visit a while ago)

If anybody is interested this is the order I've gone through headphones so far:
• Audio Technica ATH-AG1
• Philips Fidelio X2
• Monoprice M1060 w/ Paper Towel and Vegan Pads mod
• Philips Fidelio X2HR
• Modhouse Audio Argon MK3
• HyperX Revolver S

All of them have been sold, I have no headphones just my speakers atm.
I ran them all on the JDS Labs Element.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #7,316 of 8,051

I was one of the early adopters of the M1060, I got the revised version with the different jacks and treated timber, however within 2 weeks the wood had cracked during a night when I had the warm aircon in my room going.
Due to a mishandling of my emotions I sold them because I was so distraught my headphones cup ring had cracked, I look after all my gear meticulously and I couldn't stomach knowing they had that.

During my time with them, I had performed the paper towel mod and the vegan pads from audeze were rolled out instead of the defaults it comes with, I was exceptionally happy with the headphones performance.
Since then, I have not been able to find a headphone that comes close, everything sounds terrible and I've been wanting to re-purchase them and do it all again, except for the following which I'm hoping to get answers to..

1. I had the 2nd revision, have there still been reports of cracking in the cups even these days?
2. Provided Audeze is no longer selling the vegan pads, do I have any alternatives that will provide the same effect?
3. Is there anything else I should know since the early days of the 2nd revision coming out / paper towel / vegan pads. (I'd really prefer not to trawl through the many many pages added since my last visit a while ago)

• Audio Technica ATH-AG1
• Philips Fidelio X2
• Philips Fidelio X2HR
• HyperX Revolver S

Thanks in advance guys.

Do you have a price point? I've heard the M1060 a few times and it was very boring and lifeless (both not modded), had a Fidelio X2 but returned them-a bit bloated bass with highs rolled off like the M1060. I haven't heard any of the other headphone you mention but there are quite a few headphones I'd take over the M1060 in its price range: HE400i, custom built Ypsilon S2, EL-8 open (if you can still find one, close out sale $350 IIRC), HD58X, custom built Nhoord Red V2, HD6XX, K7XX, DT-990 premium. I do listen at fairly low levels so its one reason why to me the M1060 is a bit boring and lifeless I've been told.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #7,317 of 8,051

• Audio Technica ATH-AG1
• Philips Fidelio X2
• Philips Fidelio X2HR
• HyperX Revolver S

Thanks in advance guys.

Sennheiser HD58X...

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #7,318 of 8,051
Do you have a price point? I've heard the M1060 a few times and it was very boring and lifeless (both not modded), had a Fidelio X2 but returned them-a bit bloated bass with highs rolled off like the M1060. I haven't heard any of the other headphone you mention but there are quite a few headphones I'd take over the M1060 in its price range: HE400i, custom built Ypsilon S2, EL-8 open (if you can still find one, close out sale $350 IIRC), HD58X, custom built Nhoord Red V2, HD6XX, K7XX, DT-990 premium. I do listen at fairly low levels so its one reason why to me the M1060 is a bit boring and lifeless I've been told.

I appreciate your response David, I also didn't find the M1060 very appealing until I performed the mods. I haven't liked any of the headphones I listed except the M1060, yourself and VRacer-111 have both mentioned the HD58X, lots of options otherwise though, I've always been afraid of the Sennheisers as even the bass boosted versions are apparently meak.
Given I use them for a lot of video and game content I enjoy an articulate headphone that can communicate the vocals and instruments clearly and have powerful bass that you can feel the impact but not let it bleed into anything above it which would cause that muffled wooly sound.

I've seen almost all those headphones thrown around before, it confuses me even more when there are so many options but I've heard conflicting information on them. (You did listen to the M1060 unmodded though so the headphones you're recommending likely don't have a comparible signature, the bass of the M1060 is boosted quite a bit post-modding)..

I really might have to go drive an hour to a headphone shop up Sydney way to go do some listening myself.. :frowning2:

Aug 13, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #7,319 of 8,051
I appreciate your response David, I also didn't find the M1060 very appealing until I performed the mods. I haven't liked any of the headphones I listed except the M1060, yourself and VRacer-111 have both mentioned the HD58X, lots of options otherwise though, I've always been afraid of the Sennheisers as even the bass boosted versions are apparently meak.
Given I use them for a lot of video and game content I enjoy an articulate headphone that can communicate the vocals and instruments clearly and have powerful bass that you can feel the impact but not let it bleed into anything above it which would cause that muffled wooly sound.

I've seen almost all those headphones thrown around before, it confuses me even more when there are so many options but I've heard conflicting information on them. (You did listen to the M1060 unmodded though so the headphones you're recommending likely don't have a comparible signature, the bass of the M1060 is boosted quite a bit post-modding)..

I really might have to go drive an hour to a headphone shop up Sydney way to go do some listening myself.. :frowning2:

I do very much love my M1060 post mod as well. Still my favorite headphone in my collection.

The HD58X is indeed a very impressive headphone that I bought at a whim and fell in love with almost immediately. It took a lot of work to feel the same with the M1060. I will say that it won't come close to the M1060's linear bass extension, but for an open back dynamic it is a very impressive performer. However for most of the range, I think the HD58X will be more than a match for the M1060.

M1060 has a wider soundstage but doesn't have the same depth as the HD58X. M1060 is like having a powerful 2.1 speaker setup in a nice big room. HD58X is like having a 7.1 with a smaller subwoofer and room.

It's very interesting to compare these two since they're both extremely unique to each other. I find myself neglecting my other headphones since these two do everything I really want.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #7,320 of 8,051

• Audio Technica ATH-AG1
• Philips Fidelio X2
• Philips Fidelio X2HR
• HyperX Revolver S

Thanks in advance guys.

Have you considered the M1060c? I purchased them and love them dearly after I modded them to open back. The ring is all aluminum so no cracking issues, they are supposed to possess better 106mm driver than what is on the original 1060.
What I did is reached out to one of the 3D printer guy on here and he made me a open back honey comb grills for 7 dollars. I then purchased a thin foam from Amazon that a seller has listed for 12 dollars and used the thin one out of the two thickness foams he provided. The sound is nothing short of excellent. The sound is right up there with my Beyerdynamic DT 1990. I nearly one year with them with zero issues right from the get go.
IMG_20180428_220034.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back