Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jan 11, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #6,512 of 8,051
Had the m1060 for about 5 days now. Want to throw a few things out there for newer folks since there seem to be a lot of people considering them and not taking the dive (myself included until a week ago) due to a vocal minority.

1) These are wonderful headphones and worth every penny completely unmodded. A few have mentioned ringing and such, and I *might* have heard a strange resonance once in 20+ hours of listening. But even if that strange aberrant resonance happened once every 20-30 hours of listening, it's nothing that would prevent me from enjoying them fully.

2) These are much easier driven than people give them credit for. I was really worried about whether or not they would work with my sources. I had nothing to fear. They work just fine on an LG V20 in normal and if you trick it into Aux mode they are wonderful at about 45-50 out of 70 volume. Fiio e12 has NO problem driving them loudly at 33% on the pot. but kills Soundstage (a general gripe of mine with that amp). Fulla1 works grand from my pc as well.

3) Did I mention Mods are NOT required. Sure, in the future I might look into adding the fazor and maybe trying the paper towel or new pads, but it's not likely something that you you'll need to do first thing.

4) They're super duper comfy on the ear and these are the first headphones I've ever wished I could get a little more clamp force with just because they tend to shift around when you move your head. In fact, that might be my first mod. Changing the headband to give a little more firm fit.

In the end I think the reason you're seeing so many mods are because these are such fantastic headphones to start with. Whether it be cars, computers, or headphones, mod communities spring up around equipment that is great to start with and inspires people with a passion to make them even greater.

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #6,513 of 8,051
Had the m1060 for about 5 days now. Want to throw a few things out there for newer folks since there seem to be a lot of people considering them and not taking the dive (myself included until a week ago) due to a vocal minority.

1) These are wonderful headphones and worth every penny completely unmodded.

I don’t have these (yet!) but having read almost all of this thread, I’m convinced I would like them without modifications.

I’ll admit I’m a little surprised at your claim of how easy they are to drive, but that makes me even more inclined to get them.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #6,514 of 8,051
I’ll admit I’m a little surprised at your claim of how easy they are to drive, but that makes me even more inclined to get them.

Tbh, I was surprised as well. In normal mode on my v20 full volume is too loud, but I'm hanging out around 60, so it's definitely near the end of the volume, but not maxed. Tricking it into auxiliary mode was plenty gain to listen comfortably in the middle of the volume range.

Although it's worth remembering that the LG v20 has an amp that on the level of most mid level DAPs.

I wouldn't trust that they'd run off of just any old phone. But if you've got a decent DAP (around Fiio X5) or even a marginally good DAC/AMP you should be fine.

Jan 11, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #6,515 of 8,051
Tbh, I was surprised as well. In normal mode on my v20 full volume is too loud, but I'm hanging out around 60, so it's definitely near the end of the volume, but not maxed. Tricking it into auxiliary mode was plenty gain to listen comfortably in the middle of the volume range.

Although it's worth remembering that the LG v20 has an amp that on the level of most mid level DAPs.

I wouldn't trust that they'd run off of just any old phone. But if you've got a decent DAP (around Fiio X5) or even a marginally good DAC/AMP you should be fine.

I have the V20, so your experience will translate pretty well, I think. :darthsmile:

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #6,516 of 8,051
In the end I think the reason you're seeing so many mods are because these are such fantastic headphones to start with. Whether it be cars, computers, or headphones, mod communities spring up around equipment that is great to start with and inspires people with a passion to make them even greater.

I would totally agree. They certainly are not perfect, but I found them well worth their price right out of the box. Their sound can be rough around the edges at times, but you definitely get the wall-of-sound effect, which to me is worth $300. The 5k ringing didn't really show up on my pair. Not sure if that's something Monoprice has fixed, or perhaps there are just some serious quality control issues.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #6,517 of 8,051
Well, I have been listening to my M1060's now for 3 weeks. The bass has really improved, tighter and more extended. The high's are there, better and not bright. I think I might hear the 5k resonance, but not all the time. So far they are keepers. They will not replace my Koss ESP950 electrostatics.

Jan 11, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #6,518 of 8,051
Well, I have been listening to my M1060's now for 3 weeks. The bass has really improved, tighter and more extended. The high's are there, better and not bright. I think I might hear the 5k resonance, but not all the time. So far they are keepers. They will not replace my Koss ESP950 electrostatics.

i own both as well and find that I listen more to my 1060's. Might just be the music I listen to the most is better suited to the 1060's. But the 950's are NOT shabby ... just different.

Jan 12, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #6,519 of 8,051
Definitely easy to drive but respond well to being amped up. The ringing only shows up a little on certain tracks in a very high range but I haven't noticed it in a long time so either gone with fazor mod or just burned out but it never was bad and had to go to certain tracks to even find it. It could be that those who had issues with the ringing listen to different music than I do.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #6,520 of 8,051
Definitely easy to drive but respond well to being amped up. The ringing only shows up a little on certain tracks in a very high range but I haven't noticed it in a long time so either gone with fazor mod or just burned out but it never was bad and had to go to certain tracks to even find it. It could be that those who had issues with the ringing listen to different music than I do.
I just got my m1060 and would mostly agree with that. Listening just from the headphone jack on the side of my laptop they sound pretty good but on my tv receiver they sound about 30ish percent better.
Now I tried listening to them through my ps4 controller and wow it was bad just just awful. I turned the sound all the way up and still at low levels and the distortion was through the roof.

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #6,521 of 8,051
i own both as well and find that I listen more to my 1060's. Might just be the music I listen to the most is better suited to the 1060's. But the 950's are NOT shabby ... just different.

For me it's the other way around, much prefer the ESP950 over the M1060, even with it's lighter bass presence (the Loki helps the bass feel satisfactory, would be too lacking for me without EQ). I do like the M1060 for tinkering around with mods and movies, but the ESP950 has a certain musicality about it, is much better in detail with a clearer, smoother sound, and much lighter and more comfortable. The speed and fluidity of sound is also incredible on the ESP950. Finally demoed Dolby Atmos Headphone last night on XBox One, using the ESP950 (optical out -> Gustard X20U DAC -> STAX 323S Driver unit -> ESP950)...Why did I not do this sooner! My M1060's are apart right now due to the strap system mod I'm developing for them, so they couldn't be tried. Only headphone I like better than the ESP950 is my modded TH-X00PH - which is much more musical and dynamic than an M1060 with unbeatable bass quality and quantity.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #6,524 of 8,051
Just one question.... do any of you who enjoy the m1060 have any experience with hd650s?

Before getting the M1060, I borrowed my bro-in-law's HD600 and HD650 while he tried out my Focal Elear. Neither of the Sennheisers were for me. They weren't bad per se, just extremely boring to me, I find the M1060 much more musical and interesting. They were the reason I ended up selling the Elear to my bro-in-law, and are the reason I'll be looking to sell my pre-fazor LCD-2 Rev 2's.

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #6,525 of 8,051
Before getting the M1060, I borrowed my bro-in-law's HD600 and HD650 while he tried out my Focal Elear. Neither of the Sennheisers were for me. They weren't bad per se, just extremely boring to me, I find the M1060 much more musical and interesting. They were the reason I ended up selling the Elear to my bro-in-law, and are the reason I'll be looking to sell my pre-fazor LCD-2 Rev 2's.

Hey just curious since you seem to love the 1060 as much as I do, what if any mods do you use? I don't use any but since getting them my other headphones(though not as high end as yours) have been just gathering dust.

Thanks

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back