Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 21, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #6,363 of 8,051
i'm sure this was an accident but it's pretty ironic considering the reports of fire on cheap prusa i3 clones LOL
3dprinter lol.png

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #6,364 of 8,051
I'd always judge a sound demo on headphones. Too many variables you can miss on speakers.
When I listen to your sound demos I always try to use the most neutral sounding headphones, for me that is my SHP9500 with hm5 velour pads, Id say they do a good job and your sound demos do help a lot, the only quirk is that some headphones like HD600 sound bassy when in real life the have like no bass. Also I would love if you did a video about your modded m1060's, or maybe just a sound demo?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #6,365 of 8,051
Those are Plastidip, they give matte rough finish and can be peeled off if not desired. I have some leftover after painting my car parts, the cheapskate in me stopped me from getting a new can of glossy spray paint for a few pieces of ABS. Will the rough surface change the sound compared to a smooth polished surface? Maybe, but it is impossible for me to find out. Totally dig the badass matte look!

Oh boy, the courage I needed to face the lady cashier when I was buying that pair of pantyhose....

Thanks for reading my impressions about my LCD-1060. They are definitely keepers after these mods!

Hamster
Thanks for the write up !!
I prefer Organza cloth. Available in multi-colors. Acoustically more transparent than most materials available to us, and you can buy it without being embarrassed.
A win/win
:)

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #6,366 of 8,051
I also listened to m565 and 1060 side by side same song on your sound demo's.. and they sounded very similar... Could it be the computer speaker s i'm listening on?

Night and day difference for me. I have had the 1060s for a while and I love them... They are stock because I loved how they sounded so I didn't want to mess with it. They keep getting better and better. I ordered the 565 after it came out for another portable option to go along with my Philips Fidelio L2 and they sounded like someone was holding a pillow over the pads. I mean I am fine with dark headphones but they were terrible to me. There is one review out of 3 on Amazon and they had the same experience as me so I don't think it was a faulty pair. Either way I could never imagine a reason for someone to not spend the extra $100 on the 1060s. I just thought I would chime in because I know it is hard to tell sometimes in those sound demo videos, I watch all his reviews as well as the sound demos but I personally think they took a big step backwards with the 565. And yes I switched back and forth between them when I had them both and the difference was astonishing.

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #6,370 of 8,051
can someone tell me why everyone on dms3tv discord is telling me m1060 is trash?

Dude honestly the m1060 is just ok. And occasionally you hear the ringing when certain high pitched sounds come about and its a little annoying. There are better uses of 300 dollars. That being said I think its better than the he400 series and its not ridiculously expensive being a planar and all. Either spend more money or be prepared for the modding life.

Dec 22, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #6,371 of 8,051
Dude honestly the m1060 is just ok. And occasionally you hear the ringing when certain high pitched sounds come about and its a little annoying. There are better uses of 300 dollars. That being said I think its better than the he400 series and its not ridiculously expensive being a planar and all. Either spend more money or be prepared for the modding life.

Maybe but there is either some unit variation or something with the ringing, I have had them for a couple months and have never heard it. I have pretty good ears and can hear up to 18.5hz. To me they are a smooth balanced headphone, my pair is anyway. Smooth but detailed but present treble with no sibilance at all, slightly recessed mids but still great and bass that is tight and controlled while also diving to the depths. The bass is why I never did the vegan pads or any other pad because I know it would affect the bass and together with everything else it makes it a near perfect headphone to my ears.

Dec 23, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #6,372 of 8,051
can someone tell me why everyone on dms3tv discord is telling me m1060 is trash?

DMS3tv himself raved about M1060.

I never had the ringing too. First batch Ref2 (2.5mm jacks). They are good in stock form but can be great if modded. Each of their own, only your ears would tell you whether this will be a pair of great phones for you, or not. Take all the rave or criticism as a reference but not judgement. Only you can be your own judge. Happy listening!

Hamster

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #6,373 of 8,051
Maybe but there is either some unit variation or something with the ringing, I have had them for a couple months and have never heard it. I have pretty good ears and can hear up to 18.5hz. To me they are a smooth balanced headphone, my pair is anyway. Smooth but detailed but present treble with no sibilance at all, slightly recessed mids but still great and bass that is tight and controlled while also diving to the depths. The bass is why I never did the vegan pads or any other pad because I know it would affect the bass and together with everything else it makes it a near perfect headphone to my ears.

I never had the ringing too. First batch Ref2 (2.5mm jacks). They are good in stock form but can be great if modded. Each of their own, only your ears would tell you whether this will be a pair of great phones for you, or not. Take all the rave or criticism as a reference but not judgement. Only you can be your own judge. Happy listening!
I like the m1060 overall but I think the ringing is pretty bad and I've heard it on multiple units even from people who swear it isn't there. I think it's most obvious to me when I compare it to my oppo pm-3. Even after the felt mod and velour pad changes (I did this mostly for comfort reasons as smaller pads just worked better for my head shape) I can still definitely hear it. It's kind of hard to notice if you don't know what to listen for but compared to other planars. I've heard a lot of hip hop hi hats and certain electronic music (eg. Waveracer) where the treble is significantly sharper than it should be. It kind of sounds out of place and is kind of a weird peak for very specific sounds. That's the ringing. And it doesn't bother me 60% of the time and it isn't noticeable a lot of times but if we're all honest with ourselves it's definitely there. Also, being realistic about how it compares with other headphones I genuinely don't think this headphone is any more perfect than the hd650 or the AKG K712. The bass is great but the midrange and treble is frankly just ok in my opinion. After modding a bit nothing about this headphone is bad but only the bass is really noteworthy.

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #6,374 of 8,051
My old ears, don't hear any ringing. I have done a couple of the mods, am am very happy with the results.I would certainly change the outside grills.( Come on PockyG, get your finger out!)Are they as good as my 800/HEK?. No certainly not, but fantastic value for the price. I try not to comment on sound differences, because 77 year old ears, are probably not representative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back