Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 21, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #6,346 of 8,051
@Tysun - sound impressions please. Also - what kind of coating did you use for those white parts? I have honey-comb grills on the way, will be interesting.

Those are Plastidip, they give matte rough finish and can be peeled off if not desired. I have some leftover after painting my car parts, the cheapskate in me stopped me from getting a new can of glossy spray paint for a few pieces of ABS. Will the rough surface change the sound compared to a smooth polished surface? Maybe, but it is impossible for me to find out. Totally dig the badass matte look!

Mods done:
1. Headband change
2. Sheepskin pads
3. PockyG 3D printed driver side and grill side fazors
4. PockyG Monoprice logo grill covered by pantyhose

Note:
Sound impression after just a good 2+ hours of listening without A/B testing as these are my only pair so take it with a pinch of salt. Also, I installed all the 3D printed parts altogether so I can't pin point which parts are giving the most improvement in sound.

In short, yes there is much noticeable improvement.

Bass:
Bass has remained punchy planar bass due to my sheepskins keeping a good seal. You might prefer more mellow bass from a pair of Vegan pads or the likes.

Mids:
Yes there is definitely a change. It is like vocalists took one step forward and sounds more clear and more forward.

Highs:
Much clearer and 'crisper' compared to stock. I never thought M1060 is a 'veiled' pair of phones but after doing these mods I understood why some call it 'veiled' in stock form.

Soundstage:
Definitely, definitely there is an improvement. Removing the back foam definitely makes soundstage larger, especially those snaps and fake symbals in EDMs would sound further away. Problem with stock grill is, it would create a roomy, reverb-y, almost echoey sound. Sounded good to me although I knew it definitely did not come from the recordings. Switched it out to 3D printed grills with wide openings + black pantyhose fixed the reverbs.

Oh boy, the courage I needed to face the lady cashier when I was buying that pair of pantyhose....

Thanks for reading my impressions about my LCD-1060. They are definitely keepers after these mods!

Hamster

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #6,348 of 8,051
Those are Plastidip, they give matte rough finish and can be peeled off if not desired. I have some leftover after painting my car parts, the cheapskate in me stopped me from getting a new can of glossy spray paint for a few pieces of ABS. Will the rough surface change the sound compared to a smooth polished surface? Maybe, but it is impossible for me to find out. Totally dig the badass matte look!

Mods done:
1. Headband change
2. Sheepskin pads
3. PockyG 3D printed driver side and grill side fazors
4. PockyG Monoprice logo grill covered by pantyhose

Note:
Sound impression after just a good 2+ hours of listening without A/B testing as these are my only pair so take it with a pinch of salt. Also, I installed all the 3D printed parts altogether so I can't pin point which parts are giving the most improvement in sound.

In short, yes there is much noticeable improvement.

Bass:
Bass has remained punchy planar bass due to my sheepskins keeping a good seal. You might prefer more mellow bass from a pair of Vegan pads or the likes.

Mids:
Yes there is definitely a change. It is like vocalists took one step forward and sounds more clear and more forward.

Highs:
Much clearer and 'crisper' compared to stock. I never thought M1060 is a 'veiled' pair of phones but after doing these mods I understood why some call it 'veiled' in stock form.

Soundstage:
Definitely, definitely there is an improvement. Removing the back foam definitely makes soundstage larger, especially those snaps and fake symbals in EDMs would sound further away. Problem with stock grill is, it would create a roomy, reverb-y, almost echoey sound. Sounded good to me although I knew it definitely did not come from the recordings. Switched it out to 3D printed grills with wide openings + black pantyhose fixed the reverbs.

Oh boy, the courage I needed to face the lady cashier when I was buying that pair of pantyhose....

Thanks for reading my impressions about my LCD-1060. They are definitely keepers after these mods!

Hamster

Thanks for sharing, great inspiration for modding. I have only had my set for 10 days, so they are barely broken in. Yesterday I lined inner walls of the pads with felt, so a quick listening session showed some improvements/changes. Sound was less leaning to the bright side, although I wouldn't have described these headphones as bright sounding in the first place. But it is logical - some frequencies/reflections are eliminated. What was not so pleasant - I've heard a metallic unnatural sound on some songs that I haven't had noticed earlier. Might be just a bad record.

I'll go though most common mods (felt stripes on the driver side + paper towel behind the grill) and then will try 3D printed reflectors. It will be interesting :) Also looking on guidelines how to braid a better cable. Anyone has tried it and might share impressions/advice? Litz method with every strand insulated would be an overkill?

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #6,349 of 8,051
Thanks. The bigger maker select v2 is also only 250 if you want open box. I think I'll go for it for my birthday which is in a couple months. For now, I'll be focusing on the headphones themselves, as I've been so caught up in printers, I've forgot the actual headphones! :joy: how are the m1060s stock?

Monoprice has the $399 Maker Select Plus 3d on sale for $299. Save one hundred. Use promo code SELPLUS.

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #6,354 of 8,051
@ZeosPantera i just watched your m565 video yesterday... in the video you stated it was Halloween.... What took you so long to upload? Also, can you do a sound demo of them?:gs1000smile:

Here is the sound demo for the M565.

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #6,356 of 8,051
Here's the pics of the 3-D printed pad plates for the M560s. They pop on and off with about the same force as the stock pad/plates. I tried the XBR 500 pads on the plates but did not like them. Still looking for other pads. I made the inner opening larger to accommodate pads with more room inside.

M560 pic 2.jpeg
M560 pic 3.jpeg

Dec 21, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #6,358 of 8,051
@ZeosPantera i just watched your m565 video yesterday... in the video you stated it was Halloween.... What took you so long to upload? Also, can you do a sound demo of them?:gs1000smile:
Sound demo goes out with the review.

I have a long queue of things to review and release and the Patrons are paying to see it first. So things get reviewed, Wait, go to patreon, Wait, then go live well after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back