Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 6, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,381 of 8,051
I would love to try that, when I receive my headphones. Since we're both Norwegians, what toilet roll are you using (both on front, now, and behind)?

Also, do you think one could use the paper permanently, without the danger of any dust or pieces of the toilet paper falling into the driver?

Still had the new driver felt between the pads and the driver, took them from some cheap pads I had lying around.

Toilet paper is the cheapest they have, 2-ply from first price :D but i only use it between the ear and driver, the cskippy mod was too bright for me :)

another thing that seems to work well too is some thicker type of felt, either like the ones in the hd600's/650's or from dt770's.. Works well to absorb some of the anomalies

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #4,382 of 8,051
1a.jpg

RED=Stock, BEIGE= Vegan/Stock damping, BLUE= Vegan With a Perforated Pleather inner ear chamber and a sandwich ring of Creatology foam and felt surrounding the driver opening on the ear side. No rear damping at all.

STOCK WF:
11b.jpg
VEGAN WF:
11c.jpg
CURRENT MOD WF:
11a.jpg

Jun 6, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #4,384 of 8,051
I currently have both Teaks and M1060s. If I have to choose one, I would pick Teaks as a winner. Teaks have better build, looks beautiful and the bass, yummy..... While mid slightly recessed on Teaks, their high is well extended and sparkly, a little sparkly in fact for me, I put felt underneath ZMF Ori pads to make it warmer. Bass hit harder and deeper on Teaks, no comparison about that, maybe a little overwhelming for most people but I love it.

Thanks for your insight, I will jump on board for the drop to try the Teaks.

Jun 6, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #4,385 of 8,051
I already removed the front driver damping and definitely prefer it. I was just looking for other tweaks also to see what would happen.

To prevent driver damage I put some loose soft cell foam I had from another pad set and it helped tame things and make it safer, so I was messing around with the back side also. With the foam removed it seemed brighter still, perhaps a bit too much. But regardless, it's not really safe that way. I am either going to keep messing with materials, or put the foam back.

Did some tweaking tonite - Vegans, with the felt from the stock pads tucked in behind the Vegan black material. Rear (not 'ear side') foam now removed. This, for me, is a keeper. I just need to find some type of material that I can protect the driver with and not alter the sound. Maybe the pantyhose material? Just how to keep something like this in place. Anyone else running them like this ?? Thanks ...

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #4,387 of 8,051
Anyone notice any differences between the second batch with the longer cable and the different connectors?. I have both and I'm trying to work out whether I am going mad as I prefer the first batch headphones.

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #4,389 of 8,051
Too bad, they are wonderfully versatile imo. Use the stock pads for more bass and fun, then just switch to some velour pads whenever you want to listen something more "organic", like guitar/singer and so on. :)

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #4,390 of 8,051
Anyone notice any differences between the second batch with the longer cable and the different connectors?. I have both and I'm trying to work out whether I am going mad as I prefer the first batch headphones.

You don't happen to have a measuring rig do you? I'm actually starting to believe there might be a fair amount of variance between individual headphones. The reviews on these are so polarizing it is crazy. Some people are saying these are warm headphones, others are saying they are bright. I've been arguing directly with some of the prominent reviewers in the discord channels about what they are hearing. I've heard a few people mention they can't deal with the sibilance on these. But for the life of me (stock or modded) I can't get them to ever sound sibilant. In fact, when I A/B them against DT770 and HD600 I can get those to sound more sibilant than these. I mean I believe Audeze themselves had issues with tensioning their headphones in the past to match. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that is showing up in the M1060. You might not be crazy and should just keep whichever one sounds better to you.

Jun 7, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4,391 of 8,051
You don't happen to have a measuring rig do you? I'm actually starting to believe there might be a fair amount of variance between individual headphones. The reviews on these are so polarizing it is crazy. Some people are saying these are warm headphones, others are saying they are bright. I've been arguing directly with some of the prominent reviewers in the discord channels about what they are hearing. I've heard a few people mention they can't deal with the sibilance on these. But for the life of me (stock or modded) I can't get them to ever sound sibilant. In fact, when I A/B them against DT770 and HD600 I can get those to sound more sibilant than these. I mean I believe Audeze themselves had issues with tensioning their headphones in the past to match. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that is showing up in the M1060. You might not be crazy and should just keep whichever one sounds better to you.

Sorry I don't have a rig.
I definitely prefer the first version. I was listening to them again today side by side on a couple of different amps. I think the first version sounds warmer. I think I am going to mod the heck out of the 2nd version. See where that leads me.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #4,392 of 8,051

I can get any sibilance on my V1s, either.

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #4,394 of 8,051
Ok ... So I've been running these with the new Mojo I just got and it's a beautiful match !! That's with the Vegs, stock felt as well as, and nothing under the grills. Still thinking of what to do for protection here. But 'everything' is there ...

maybe fasten some black pantyhose under the grill and just screw it down so that it stays, or use some double sided tape :) shouldn't change the sound too much

Jun 9, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #4,395 of 8,051
Got mine in last night, put them on at 8pm... didn't take them off until after 2am this morning. Going from a Q701 to this... So many little details I've never heard.

Also, it's quick. This is my first planar magnetic headphone I have ever listened to / owned. It's definitely a different experience.

Attachments

• IMG_7273.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back