Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 7, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,691 of 8,051
Has anyone received these in Canada yet. I am wondering how much the duties will be?
Thanks

I placed the order on May 2, tracking shows is now at Canada Post possession and I should be able to pick it up on Monday, I will post how much tax I pay tomorrow.

Last time ordered stuff from states, DHL -> Canada Post they usually charge $10 handling fee plus whatever HST (13%) of the declared value is.

May 7, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3,692 of 8,051
Would you go with a Schiit Jotunheim (with DAC) or a Aune S6 to power the M1060 balanced?

Where can I find a balanced cable for the M1060? Any compatible existing cable that's around 4ft long?

May 7, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #3,693 of 8,051
Someone in this thread recommended ImpactAudioCables on Etsy.com. I ordered a custom cable now and will have to wait about 4 weeks for it. I still don't have the balanced DAC/Amp so that's not a Problem for me ^^.

May 7, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #3,694 of 8,051
Someone in this thread recommended ImpactAudioCables on Etsy.com. I ordered a custom cable now and will have to wait about 4 weeks for it. I still don't have the balanced DAC/Amp so that's not a Problem for me ^^.
Yes, I ordered a custom (MMCX to XLR) cable from Impact Audio to use with my Mimby/Jotunheim. About a week to go before it's in my grubby hands. Based on the apparent reputation of the seller, I am completely worry-free regarding my purchase :)

May 7, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,695 of 8,051
Ahh, okay, thanks. Seems better and worse - the 5k peak is gone, but I'm not sure if the dips are all positive. Interesting.

I ordered a set of these after all. I am hopeful that we can find ways to bring the highs up more, while not sacrificing the great bass that people love on these.

More/different material in the rearside of the driver will raise/even out the highs.

Red=Stock, Purple= HM5 Angled Pleather+Felt ring, Gold= HM5 Angled Pleather+felt ring and additional rear damping.

1a.jpg

May 7, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #3,696 of 8,051
I placed the order on May 2, tracking shows is now at Canada Post possession and I should be able to pick it up on Monday, I will post how much tax I pay tomorrow.

Last time ordered stuff from states, DHL -> Canada Post they usually charge $10 handling fee plus whatever HST (13%) of the declared value is.

I've never paid a 'handling fee' ... unless things have changed in the last year. That said ... I've always asked for USPS. A courier company will also rip you off with 'brokerage fees' and perhaps a 'handling fee' as well.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #3,697 of 8,051
Just figured out how to best wear these headphones, lol ... Well, first put them on your head then press the drivers in so that the pads squish towards your head. Release. Enjoy! Because the pads are so large, it's tough to get a good acoustic chamber without first pressing the pads in.

May 7, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,698 of 8,051
I've never paid a 'handling fee' ... unless things have changed in the last year. That said ... I've always asked for USPS. A courier company will also rip you off with 'brokerage fees' and perhaps a 'handling fee' as well.

I think DHL is the cheapest option to ship to canada, DHL is $22.65 compare to USPS $55.99, I knew there will be handling fee but no where close to what USPS charges.

I'd imagine living in south does save a lot of money.

May 7, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #3,699 of 8,051
Does anyone think there would be a upgrade bying something like a OCC or silverplated cable for around 100$ on ebay? Would you be able to hear any difference, or is the stock cable good enough (only sound-wise)?

May 7, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #3,700 of 8,051
Not really. I wouldn't bother with silver especially because it's going to make the stock headphone brighter still. I'm getting a balanced 4 pin xlr cable from Impact Audio but that's just to get a better balanced cable. OCC Copper 4 life.

May 7, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #3,701 of 8,051
Does anyone think there would be a upgrade bying something like a OCC or silverplated cable for around 100$ on ebay? Would you be able to hear any difference, or is the stock cable good enough (only sound-wise)?

Not sure if you've already purchased vegan pads for these, or are plugged into a good source and amp, but definitely put your money there before spending $100+ on cables. I say this because on my Schitt stack the stock cable sounds great even in comparison to my 8-core 5N OCC silver-plated balanced cable. I still prefer the balanced cable, but more so because it's balanced, not because it's silver plated. IMO, you'll get much more for your money if you worry about cable materials much later.

May 7, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #3,702 of 8,051
Not sure if you've already purchased vegan pads for these, or are plugged into a good source and amp, but definitely put your money there before spending $100+ on cables. I say this because on my Schitt stack the stock cable sounds great even in comparison to my 8-core 5N OCC silver-plated balanced cable. I still prefer the balanced cable, but more so because it's balanced, not because it's silver plated. IMO, you'll get much more for your money if you worry about cable materials much later.

I stuck some angled velour HM5 pads on that I had lying around, and I run them through an Aune X1S. Couldn't be more satisfied, but this will be my endgame-headphone, so want to make sure I'm taking full advantage of them, hence the cable-question :) Also, upgrading for just a better looking cable with a solid 1/4" connector would be worth it at this point, that rightangle connector is making me so sad every time..

So no noticeable sound difference between the stock one and a new OCC copper cable?

May 7, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #3,703 of 8,051
There really shouldn't be any difference. Only differences I've come across with cables is silver=brighter (yuck), and higher capacitance=rolled off high frequencies.

May 7, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #3,704 of 8,051
So no noticeable sound difference between the stock one and a new OCC copper cable?

I hate to encourage upgraditis, and there's a lot of audio nervosa/snake oil surrounding cables in particular. That said, my opinion is that you'll be pretty close to endgame on 1060s if you feed them a balanced signal, even over a re-terminated stock cable. A lot of debate around the benefits of balanced, but I'm a believer.

BUT - if you want a cheaper way to try higher-spec cables, i've bought from VE in China with great results. They're really the bang/buck option and maybe you've seen their earbuds around:

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=8

You can read more about their cable options here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/52vecn/permalink/1308198342590861/

May 7, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #3,705 of 8,051
@cskippy & @MrTie84 - Yes that's "blue" original version measurement looked like it was missing the wall, which I didnt really notice until you mentioned it. That said, I don't really hear any differences based on memory between the two revisions.

I'm using the same exact piece of filter from the old set I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back