Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 7, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #3,676 of 8,051
Settings are a little wonky but I get the idea. Thank you! The blue one is quite amazing! Another easier way to show the ortho wall is to do the same with the spectogram

Try these settings:
HD650 modded Spectrogram control panel settings.PNG
HD650 modded Waterfall control panel settings.PNG

REQ Wizard Preferences setup.PNG

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #3,677 of 8,051
The cost of the angled HM5 velours are much more palatable, may give them a go. You sure it makes the m1060s warm? A lot of the reviews on amazon says it takes away the bass on their headphones away a bit, none of the reviews had the m1060 but still

Bass is still tight and present. Listening to Dream Theater and Slipknot atm and couldn't be more happy. Switching from leather to velour and losing bass is more common on closed-back headphones, so I wouldn't worry :)

May 7, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #3,678 of 8,051
Maybe it's the 4-5khz ringing issue, though I'd thought this 'Ortho Wall' phenomenon wasn't actually audible, but after about a day of use, I've noticed there is a faint high pitched screeching in the background of all of my music that correlates with a certain frequency, my money is it's on that one.

Now that screeching is ALL I can focus on, and it's ruining these headphones for me.
Anyone else hear this and have a fix?

May 7, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #3,679 of 8,051
For me the tinny ring stopped after I would say 20h of playback.

I have made a small increase in the 8K range and it has made the vocals fuller, very pleased with these stock and my T1.1 have been placed in their metal box.

This maybe coming from the T1.1 that I need more 8k energy though.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #3,680 of 8,051
Maybe it's the 4-5khz ringing issue, though I'd thought this 'Ortho Wall' phenomenon wasn't actually audible, but after about a day of use, I've noticed there is a faint high pitched screeching in the background of all of my music that correlates with a certain frequency, my money is it's on that one.

Now that screeching is ALL I can focus on, and it's ruining these headphones for me.
Anyone else hear this and have a fix?

Swap pads or cut out a ring of paper towel/toilet paper/coffee filter and place it behind the metal grill. Already hundreds of posts about this problem, just read further up :)

May 7, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #3,681 of 8,051
Orthowalls typically are not audible, I don't actually think the visible orthowall on the measurement is what we are annoyed by I think it's the HUGE spike right before it. Paper towel will not fix this, it's a problem with the stock pad design if you take a look at the response of only changing pads on the previous page. Paper towel in general will cut the mids a bit and raise the Highs, sorry for not level matching this but you can see it will not blunt that spike. There is basically no way to address that spike effectively without changing what is on the earside of the driver.

Stock= Red, Green= 3" Paper Towel

1a.jpg

May 7, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3,684 of 8,051
i am really interested in these. When I look at Monoprice homepage, these babies cost 299 and are in stock. Which revision do i get, if i order them now, the first or second one? I looked into the specs, because i was hoping that the connectors are mentioned, so i can figure the revision out, but they aren´t listed. So i am a little bit confused now about the revisions....

May 7, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,685 of 8,051
i am really interested in these. When I look at Monoprice homepage, these babies cost 299 and are in stock. Which revision do i get, if i order them now, the first or second one? I looked into the specs, because i was hoping that the connectors are mentioned, so i can figure the revision out, but they aren´t listed. So i am a little bit confused now about the revisions....

They should only be shipping the new version at this point

May 7, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #3,689 of 8,051

Stock= Red, Green=HM5 Angled Pleather, Purple= HM5 Angled Pleather with a felt ring.
Ahh, okay, thanks. Seems better and worse - the 5k peak is gone, but I'm not sure if the dips are all positive. Interesting.

I ordered a set of these after all. I am hopeful that we can find ways to bring the highs up more, while not sacrificing the great bass that people love on these.

May 7, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #3,690 of 8,051
Would you go with a Schiit Jotunheim (with DAC) or a Aune S6 to power the M1060 balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back