Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
May 6, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #3,661 of 8,051
Holy F that looks lit, could you describe the exact process that you did to fit these? i find hard to believe that the oval shape of the HM5 looks so round on yours, also, how would you describe the confort? better, worse?

Coming from HD600, I can't use anything else but velour earpads, so the HM5 velour pads was a great upgrade in terms of comfort.

What I did was to use a scissor to cut off the pleather lip (what you usually use to fit it to other headphones, so this is not something you can do if you use the pads on other headphones), then I just started to stretch it from the inside in all directions, trying to make them as round as possible (you have to start out lightly and then increase force as you don't want to rip them).
Then after a while of stretching, when I saw that it was getting a lot bigger than before (just compare to the backside of the headphones to see if it's covering about 80-90% of the grill), I placed one corner first on the excisting adhesive (from when you pull off the pleather pads) and just shaped it like a circle, one step at a time, trying to apply enough pressure so that it would stick.
And you're done :)

May 6, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #3,662 of 8,051
Are the M1060's considered to generally be a lot better than the he-400i's? I know that a guy did some comparison earlier in this thread, but I wasn't really satisfied with the information I got from reading that. Could someone with both of them perhaps fill in on this? Would be much appreciated since I am currently considering an upgrade from my Fidelio X2's. I would have to import the M1060's though, which would make it quite expensive (and if they break I might be screwed).

May 6, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #3,663 of 8,051
I got a box of pads from friend today, some quick measurements all damped as stock with and without front driver fabric as noted. Stock is always red.

1 all.jpg

1. Vegan
2 Vegan.jpg

2.LCD2 Leather
3 LCD2 leather.jpg

3. Unknown Velour(Beyer?) With stock driver fabric.
4 Velour nonperf wff.jpg

4.Unknown Perforated Velour(Beyer?) With stock driver fabric.
5 Velour perf wff.jpg

May 6, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #3,666 of 8,051
Here's another pad for the collection:

Brainwavz HM5 Sheepskin Leather pads in red
Rev Org Vegan Pads in Blue
Rev A Vegan Pads in Green

All of them have a 3 inch hario filter circle in front of foam behind grill

KIpcyFe.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #3,668 of 8,051
In case anyone wants to see what the vegan BROWN pads (with 3 inch Hario undyed pour over coffee filter mod) looks like again... though the brown probably isn't as "light" as it appears in these photos:

jZiFQoSl.jpg

hCO23iRl.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,670 of 8,051
Coming from HD600, I can't use anything else but velour earpads, so the HM5 velour pads was a great upgrade in terms of comfort.

What I did was to use a scissor to cut off the pleather lip (what you usually use to fit it to other headphones, so this is not something you can do if you use the pads on other headphones), then I just started to stretch it from the inside in all directions, trying to make them as round as possible (you have to start out lightly and then increase force as you don't want to rip them).
Then after a while of stretching, when I saw that it was getting a lot bigger than before (just compare to the backside of the headphones to see if it's covering about 80-90% of the grill), I placed one corner first on the excisting adhesive (from when you pull off the pleather pads) and just shaped it like a circle, one step at a time, trying to apply enough pressure so that it would stick.
And you're done :)

another update:
Angled velour HM5 is the way to go, flat pads had some weird imaging issue where some soundstage went away and overlapped (closest I could describe it as).

May 6, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #3,671 of 8,051
another update:
Angled velour HM5 is the way to go, flat pads had some weird imaging issue where some soundstage went away and overlapped (closest I could describe it as).
The cost of the angled HM5 velours are much more palatable, may give them a go. You sure it makes the m1060s warm? A lot of the reviews on amazon says it takes away the bass on their headphones away a bit, none of the reviews had the m1060 but still

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #3,672 of 8,051
Coffee filter. Clever idea. By in front do you mean under foam or under grill?

Under the grill, as in the photo I posted a few posts back.
Coffee Filter is easier to trim and looks cleaner than a paper towel. I've tried both. The towel will be a tad warmer. The filter is a little brighter. It's fairly close in sound. Took measurements earlier on in this thread a few weeks back.

May 6, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #3,673 of 8,051
Here's another pad for the collection:

Brainwavz HM5 Sheepskin Leather pads in red
Rev Org Vegan Pads in Blue
Rev A Vegan Pads in Green

All of them have a 3 inch hario filter circle in front of foam behind grill

KIpcyFe.jpg

Wait a tick, whats the difference between Green and Blue line? the blue line almost has an invisible spike/dip.

May 7, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #3,674 of 8,051
He stated that Blue line is his 1st M1060 with MMCX connectors. Green is 2nd batch M1060 with 2.5mm connectors. Looks like his first pair was a unicorn without a serious ortho wall? @antdroid can you post CSDs for those three measurements? use a 36dB range from 1kHz value so if 1kHz is at 90dB set the bottom of the window to 54dB. Thanks!

May 7, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #3,675 of 8,051
Here you go:

Original M1060 (mmcx). Vegan Pads. Coffee Filter mod.

0FcZkCHl.jpg

Revised M1060 (2.5mm). Vegan Pads. Coffee Filter mod.

QHwlU26l.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back