Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #3,301 of 8,051
What kind of amp is everyone pairing their M1060s with? I'm currently using a Modi/Magni Schiit stack, but wondering if it could sound better out of a different amp.
I'm sure the stack is perfectly fine. I had the originals and the stack was more than enough for them and I am pretty sure I was using low-gain. There's actually people running them off Fulla 2's and E10K's in the group. I am going to be running mine of an original Fulla temporarily.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3,302 of 8,051
Just picked mine up and am listening to them at work on my laptop with Dragonfly Red DAC/amp. Sound good, can definitely tell they have that planar sound quality to them. As of now they are not as good as my modded TH-X00 PH's though, which I was listening to tnis morning. Definitely a more technical and neutral sound profile than the TH-X00 PH's. And this headband...arrg...it's starting to get on my nerves! After more burn in and verifying they are keepers (I think they are... do see their potential) will be time to drill out some rivets and make a proper leather head strap for them - that is definitely item #1 on the to do list at this moment!

As a side note, putting the LCD microsuede pads on the TH-X00 PH really brings out the BASS! Also warms and smooths them more...

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #3,303 of 8,051
I have the new V2 and it is 2.5mm inputs on the headphones, so it should work.

thanks! I was wondering if you have tried other cables with it already. I'm still skeptical if it will fit because of the large square thing on the end of the 2.5 connector of the hd700

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #3,304 of 8,051
thanks! I was wondering if you have tried other cables with it already. I'm still skeptical if it will fit because of the large square thing on the end of the 2.5 connector of the hd700

I haven't tried any other cables with it yet, but I just plugged in a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter into the headphone inputs and they fit perfectly fine. I looked up a picture of the balanced HD700 cable that I believe you might be talking about, and I think the square thing on the end won't be a problem because the actual 2.5mm jack is slightly shorter than a standard 3.5mm jack.

If you happen to have any 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapters, you can probably compare them against your cable and see if they are about the same length. I would imagine they are.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #3,305 of 8,051
wow, guess what I found out, as I was packing for the RMA, I noticed the red 2.5mm connector labelled R looks a bit tilted/crooked, and I was like "no... this cant be... right?"

and yup, it was the cable causing the boominess, whichever side driver the red connector is attached has the boominess

wow... cant believe I need to go through the RMA process just because of a cable, feelsbadmang~~~ GG Monoprice
Why not just get a replacement cable? If Monoprice will not ship you one, well, there are lots of after market cables out there for a reasonable price.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #3,307 of 8,051
BTW, mine were here when I got home this afternoon. Initially I can say that the construction is even cheaper than their price would indicate. There are some small but noticeable flaws in the wood on one side. I noticed that the pivot on one side rubs on the headband, The pads are uneven on both sides. These things can be remedied, but I feel a little let down.

I am one that believes in sound being paramount. I only listened for a few minutes. I think they have potential. I hope to get some time with them over the weekend.

I can't win .. I got the Audeze vegan pads. On one side the cloth screen material is nice and tightly stretched. The other pad... well it is all slack and unevenly attached. Another fix it project.

Back with more once I can take some time for serious listening.

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #3,310 of 8,051
BTW, mine were here when I got home this afternoon. Initially I can say that the construction is even cheaper than their price would indicate. There are some small but noticeable flaws in the wood on one side. I noticed that the pivot on one side rubs on the headband, The pads are uneven on both sides. These things can be remedied, but I feel a little let down.

I am one that believes in sound being paramount. I only listened for a few minutes. I think they have potential. I hope to get some time with them over the weekend.

I can't win .. I got the Audeze vegan pads. On one side the cloth screen material is nice and tightly stretched. The other pad... well it is all slack and unevenly attached. Another fix it project.

Back with more once I can take some time for serious listening.

if you cared more about build quality than sound quality, why not go for the M560?

my M1060 are flawless, the wood is impecable, no weird resin comming off them, the headband is sturdy, nothing get's in the way, the pads are even, i haven't noticed any splinter falling off, no sharp edges, maybe you were just unluky, the only flaw i could find is that on the right connector there is a gap inbetween the connector and the wood, it's really really thin, just enough so that the corner of a sheet of paper will fit in, but the connector does not budge at all.

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #3,311 of 8,051
if you cared more about build quality than sound quality, why not go for the M560?

my M1060 are flawless, the wood is impecable, no weird resin comming off them, the headband is sturdy, nothing get's in the way, the pads are even, i haven't noticed any splinter falling off, no sharp edges, maybe you were just unluky, the only flaw i could find is that on the right connector there is a gap inbetween the connector and the wood, it's really really thin, just enough so that the corner of a sheet of paper will fit in, but the connector does not budge at all.
You are more fortunate than me I guess. Or maybe my expectations are higher... or I inspect more closely. Or maybe I just got a set that is not as nice as yours. Not sure I need to justify my observations. It is what it is for me and this set of phones.
I had no desire for anything but to try these. I have no interest in the lower cost option from Monoprice.. nor any reason to think that they would be a better choice. I have lots of headphones and no need to just get something...because> The hype has been strong on these so I decided to give them a shot. I am not a troll, nor do I discount the fact that QC on these may not be perfect. Just reporting what I see.

BTW, perhaps you might read all of my post... I clearly state that sound is the priority for me. That assessment remains to be made.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #3,312 of 8,051
You are more fortunate than me I guess. Or maybe my expectations are higher... or I inspect more closely. Or maybe I just got a set that is not as nice as yours. Not sure I need to justify my observations. It is what it is for me and this set of phones.
I had no desire for anything but to try these. I have no interest in the lower cost option from Monoprice.. nor any reason to think that they would be a better choice. I have lots of headphones and no need to just get something...because> The hype has been strong on these so I decided to give them a shot. I am not a troll, nor do I discount the fact that QC on these may not be perfect. Just reporting what I see.

BTW, perhaps you might read all of my post... I clearly state that sound is the priority for me. That assessment remains to be made.

sorry if my post sounded condescending, didn't thought too much on how i worded it, maybe batch 3 will completely solve those problems, now i'm pretty happy with how mine came, and believe me, i'm really picky when it comes to symmetry, i would go crazy if the pads were not even, guess i was lucky with mine

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,313 of 8,051
If you keep the stock cloth driver cover in place over the driver, you can cut out the cloth in the Audeze pads.
Good suggestion. Thank You ! I am sure there is a decent workaround. I first want to check them out completely as stock.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #3,315 of 8,051
I tried the M1060 on the Schiit Fulla 2 and the Oppo HA-2. I love the sound that comes from Fidelio X2 and the Fostex TH-X00 on the Fulla 2 but the M1060 sounds much better on the HA-2. Since the Sabre DAC is more analytical; it's very clear when paired with the much darker M1060. The Fulla 2 adds too much body for me and muddies up the sound.

I wonder how it sounds with a Chord Mojo compared to the Oppo HA-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back