Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #3,287 of 8,051
Impressions of the m1060 vs LCD2 or Audeze iSine 20?

I am interested in getting either the 1060 or LCD2, I already have the isine 20 (and LOVE them).

In my country (Norway), the m1060+tax+shipping will be the same price as a pair of used LCD2, rev. 2 fazor, so price sin't an issue. I have heard the LCD2's and liked the sound signature (although it's a little dark for my taste), but the wheight and clamp bugged me a little. I think maybe I could get used to them over time/breaking them in. How do the m1060 compare in terms of sound and comfort? I've heard people say it's a close call, some say the LCD2's win easily, and some even say the m1060 sounds better... So I'm confused :p I was leaning towards the LCD2's because of m1060 qc issues, but it seems they've fixed that in the second batch, so its game on.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #3,288 of 8,051
Ah, you might find this handy in the future, found this beauty a while ago and it helped me diagnose a poor quality controlled pair of Fidelio X2 drivers!
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

I played your video and indeed my left center and right is working as intended, sounds like you're not having a very good time over there, haha.

I'm glad your adapter isn't ruining your sound. I guess I must have just gotten a bad adapter. But let this be a word to the wise, since it looks like QC on these adapters is nonexistent, check the adapter before blaming the headphones for poor sound because it really does make them sound weird and terrible.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,290 of 8,051

I am interested in getting either the 1060 or LCD2, I already have the isine 20 (and LOVE them).

In my country (Norway), the m1060+tax+shipping will be the same price as a pair of used LCD2, rev. 2 fazor, so price sin't an issue. I have heard the LCD2's and liked the sound signature (although it's a little dark for my taste), but the wheight and clamp bugged me a little. I think maybe I could get used to them over time/breaking them in. How do the m1060 compare in terms of sound and comfort? I've heard people say it's a close call, some say the LCD2's win easily, and some even say the m1060 sounds better... So I'm confused :p I was leaning towards the LCD2's because of m1060 qc issues, but it seems they've fixed that in the second batch, so its game on.

If they are the same price go with the lcd2's no question.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #3,291 of 8,051
So, Monoprice offered RMA for my M1060 (first batch) since the MMCX connector is not reliable (all cables are cutting to some degree, only a short one is cutting less due to its firm connection). I am worried that the MMCX will give in with time.
Problem is, I used a US forwarding address since they don't ship international from their site when I bought it. they did not agree to change the RMA to my current international address, and shipping them back personally will set me back $245. clearly not an option. A final option I gave them is to offer a discount on a new pair instead of a replacement pair to avoid all the cost and handling hassle for both sides. Monoprice replied back that they can't offer that option too.
This means that the warranty is useless for me now because if anything happens to it, I would not be able to send it back for repairs etc without paying a steep shipping cost. The last practial option is to find a friend who is traveling to the US and give him the package to drop :).
just wanted to share this with others who are having the same concerns.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #3,293 of 8,051

I have the iSine 10 and love them. M1060, however, is better. The bass of M1060 is detailed and visceral. Music (all genre), movies, games are all sound great on the M1060. The iSine 10 is not far behind and has excellent mids and treble that I enjoy, but does not have that bass. I don't have the LCD 2 but many compared M1060 to LCD3 from what I saw. I tried LCD 3 and LCDX few months back (January) before I got my M1060, and I don't remember them leaving me with the experience that makes me want to go back and try them again. I am sure that probably they are slightly better in SQ and much better in build quality, but at a steep cost in comparison, so.
I would recommend the M1060 over any other headphone I tried given it's price. I am waiting for two other headphones (Mr. Speakers Aeon and STAX 3100) which serves other "needs" (well, the STAX is just curiosity :) and I am sure the M1060 will still hold its own, but we will see.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #3,295 of 8,051
Bad news. At least for those considering making their own headband strap. With the v2 of the M1060 to prevent the headband from sliding out they have riveted the headband to the metal slider making it impossible to swap out the headband strap without destroying the original strap. The stock strap gives me a hot spot on top of my head so this is a big bummer for me. :triportsad:
Curse my giant head! That was my plan as well. I am also on the last adjustment on the slider and the stupid bumpy strap is not doing it for me. Cutting out the strap and replacing it will void the warranty I imagine.

Apr 28, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #3,296 of 8,051
Hi Guys. I need your help :) I had a very bad issue with the left side of the phones basically producing very bad distortion. I have opened the cans and I tried to solder a cable directly to the driver to bypass the mmcx. It ... did not work ... same results ... so I decided to unsolder the original cable (connected to the mmcx plug) and .. miracle ! Sound is great again ... so the issue was inside the mmcx plug ! (looks good when you look at it ... but obviously isn't)
So I decided to re-cable the phones without any plugs for now. My issue is that I am unsure on how to remove the original mmcx plugs without damaging the cups. It looks that they are glued or something but I don't know what to do ? I don't even know how to remove the drivers from the cups indeed ..
Thanks in advance for your help !

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,297 of 8,051
Curse my giant head! That was my plan as well. I am also on the last adjustment on the slider and the stupid bumpy strap is not doing it for me. Cutting out the strap and replacing it will void the warranty I imagine.

I'm pretty sure it will void the warranty. You could get a pilot pad or something similar for the metal headband and take the strap off completely. I'm going to try wrapping (non-destructively) the existing strap in velour and giving it extra padding and seeing if that make it less painful. I will let you now how my experiment goes.

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #3,298 of 8,051
I received my V2 yesterday and I am going to burn it in for 48 hours (tucked away under a pillow and 3 winter coats, playing bass heavy music at slightly above my listening comfort level), after that 48 hours burn in, I will do the paper towel mod to one side of the drivers and compare the difference and then report back for those that're curious

don't have the budget for the vegan pads yet, those will have to come later.

edit: I tried the M1060 on my iphone 7 with that 3.5mm jack dongle and the volume coming through the M1060 is acceptable, I can't speak for bass/treble/dynamics or anything, just purely in terms of volume, Apple 3.5mm dongle is acceptable!

ok, after the long waited 48 hour burn in, my high hopes and excitement came to a screeching halt...
my right side driver has more boomieness than the left side, I tried everything I can, and it is still that way even with back grill and black foam removed... switching the drivers between my left and right year, it appears the boomy side IS defective as the non-boomy side sounds not half bad

very Very disappointed after such a long wait and so much hype, they are going back today

on the plus note, they still have 193 in stock... Monoprice QC lottery, here we go again!

Apr 28, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,299 of 8,051
ok, after the long waited 48 hour burn in, my high hopes and excitement came to a screeching halt...
my right side driver has more boomieness than the left side, I tried everything I can, and it is still that way even with back grill and black foam removed... switching the drivers between my left and right year, it appears the boomy side IS defective as the non-boomy side sounds not half bad

very Very disappointed after such a long wait and so much hype, they are going back today

on the plus note, they still have 193 in stock... Monoprice QC lottery, here we go again!

wow, guess what I found out, as I was packing for the RMA, I noticed the red 2.5mm connector labelled R looks a bit tilted/crooked, and I was like "no... this cant be... right?"

and yup, it was the cable causing the boominess, whichever side driver the red connector is attached has the boominess

wow... cant believe I need to go through the RMA process just because of a cable, feelsbadmang~~~ GG Monoprice

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #3,300 of 8,051
wow, guess what I found out, as I was packing for the RMA, I noticed the red 2.5mm connector labelled R looks a bit tilted/crooked, and I was like "no... this cant be... right?"

and yup, it was the cable causing the boominess, whichever side driver the red connector is attached has the boominess

wow... cant believe I need to go through the RMA process just because of a cable, feelsbadmang~~~ GG Monoprice

They can just ship you a new cable, no need to ship the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back