Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 27, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #3,262 of 8,051
I received my V2 yesterday and I am going to burn it in for 48 hours (tucked away under a pillow and 3 winter coats, playing bass heavy music at slightly above my listening comfort level), after that 48 hours burn in, I will do the paper towel mod to one side of the drivers and compare the difference and then report back for those that're curious

don't have the budget for the vegan pads yet, those will have to come later.

edit: I tried the M1060 on my iphone 7 with that 3.5mm jack dongle and the volume coming through the M1060 is acceptable, I can't speak for bass/treble/dynamics or anything, just purely in terms of volume, Apple 3.5mm dongle is acceptable!

Sounds like a good idea!

I haven't changed anything since my original mod. I'm still very pleased with it. I wrote this for someone else but thought it answered your questions:

M1060 is an Audeze clone, I think LCD-3F. Stock form is not bad, but has a couple short coming. The mid range, 1kHz, is pushed up a little too much making vocals sound shouty, and reverb come forward unnaturally so. The treble is nicely rolled off but has to many peaks and dips, a consequence of the leather pads and internal grill structure. Changing the pads to the Audeze Velour Leather Free pads helps lower the 1kHz bump and smooths out some of the treble. Compared to stock, the clarity and resolution is greatly improved due to less internal reflections. They might seem dark to some, and they were for me. I wanted a little more sub bass and treble, so I added a 3 inch paper towel underneath the back grill on top of the existing foam. This further reduces the 1kHz bump and raises the sub bass and treble. They now have a nice downward tilting frequency response with no harsh peaks. The imaging for gaming is second to none, especially with surround sound processing such as Creative SBX. My only issues are the slight veiled sound, like it's coming from behind a layer of cloth, there is excellent clarity and definition, just the sound doesn't seem as immediate as the TH-X00 or HD650. Don't get this confused with transient response as it is still quite good. I think it has to do with the grill design they use. I haven't had any problems with my pair, although others have had wood crack, bad connectors/cables, and the strap come undone.

M1060 modded would be my vote because they provide a similar level of bass as the TH-X00 but with a more reference and open sound, no boomy sounds here. They have a slightly less forward midrange, lower treble compared to HD650, which I also prefer. The treble is smoother than the TH-X00, almost as smooth as the HD650 but also has more air or extension in the last octave compared to HD650 which is lacking in this regard.

The M1060 is also the easiest to drive, which is a huge plus. It works just fine from a smart phone or DAP. It's one other weakness is the short cable, which can be nice but usually snag mine, so I'll be getting a longer balanced cable.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks for this, sounds like the perfect amount of refinement these headphones require. :nerd:

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,263 of 8,051
Okay, I've bought the Audeze Vegans again, this time it cost me another $2.00 because of exchange rates, every dollar sucks a little bit of my soul out. :sob:

Looking forward to it, now just need to get a hold on some paper towels.
Has anyone found black ones that perform the same as regular?

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #3,265 of 8,051
Does version 2 still have glue on the earpads? Man its a shame they didn't make it like that M560, that magnetic earpad was genius.

Still glued on.

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #3,266 of 8,051
Mother Murphy strikes.. I got the Vegan pads form B&H today. No adhesive rings were included. M1060s due tomorrow.. Crap.

Did others buying the Vegans from B&H get the adhesive rings?

Apr 27, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #3,267 of 8,051
Ouch that sucks. Still, shouldn't be a problem as there is quite a bit of adhesive left over from the stock pads. You might be able to contact Audeze for the adhesive rings as well.

I have also used scotch double sided tape runners to reattach pads with dying adhesive. Should be ~$1.00 from CVS or similar store.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #3,269 of 8,051
Ouch that sucks. Still, shouldn't be a problem as there is quite a bit of adhesive left over from the stock pads. You might be able to contact Audeze for the adhesive rings as well.

I have also used scotch double sided tape runners to reattach pads with dying adhesive. Should be ~$1.00 from CVS or similar store.

I wrote to B&H. Hopefully I can get some rings sent out. If not, maybe the left over adhesive will work... even if temporarily

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #3,270 of 8,051
I ordered from B&H and it also did not come with any. Customer Service had Audeze send me the adhesive. It required signature though, so a bit of a pain.

I actually didnt even use it. The previous adhesive was more than adequate to adhere to the vegan pads. Too much so that the vinyl portion is stuck to it which is now on its way back to Monoprice for RMA.

BTW, Monoprice is only going to REFUND me the RMA request. So I have to order a new one and they'll reimburse.

Works out hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back