Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 18, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,866 of 8,051
while we wait for the M1060's to come back in stock, is the M560's worth checking out?  or for $199+tax+shipping i shouldn't even bother with it?

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #2,867 of 8,051
From what I've read and watched in reviews, no, they're not in the same league.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #2,869 of 8,051
I haven't heard them, but I agree with @Soundofmusic they're not worth it.  

Think of it as buying one nicer thing than having a crap-ton of okay things. 

I'm in the same boat, always getting distracted by this or that, taking money away from the thing I REALLY want, a ~$3,000 thing.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #2,870 of 8,051
Funny thing. I've heard far, far more people complain about "political correctness" than I have about people not being "politically correct."

TBH, 90% of the time the phrase comes up it's being said by some douchenozzle who wants to be an ******* but thinks the problem is that society isn't accommodating enough to ********.

Not accusing anyone in this thread, natch...

Of course everyone here speaks "political correctness".
So no offense taken.
We all know it is always the other guy who is the doochnozle who speaks worthless trash. Just ask the other guy he will agree that it is always the guy who is the doochnozle speaking trash.

Has anyone tried different thicknesses of foam and it's effect on the sound?
Changing the stock foam or adding different thicknesses to the stock foam?

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #2,871 of 8,051
@MrTie84 has tried additional front and back damping.  I'm not sure where the balance is of adding additional damping to correct frequency response but without overdamping and killing the liveliness and impact of the driver. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,872 of 8,051
If anyone wants I have mint condition HM5 pleather, HM5 velour, Shure 1540 Alcantara, be willing to trade all 3 pairs for a single pair of Vegan pads... $100 for your $65 basically.

let me know if anyone is interested, thanks!

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #2,873 of 8,051
  I haven't heard them, but I agree with @Soundofmusic they're not worth it.  

Think of it as buying one nicer thing than having a crap-ton of okay things. 

I'm in the same boat, always getting distracted by this or that, taking money away from the thing I REALLY want, a ~$3,000 thing.  
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, which one is that skippy?

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #2,875 of 8,051

I am curious how each of those ear pads affect the sound on your m1060? The vegan Earpads are a lil pricy, was wondering if there are cheaper alternatives

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #2,876 of 8,051
  While I haven't heard the M1060 yet since they are still out of stock and I would be very concerned with QC since shipping things from Argentina might be quite expensive and I wouldn't put any faith that the second batch will be a large improvement in QC.  With that said I have a few different headphones for different genres of music since I've yet to find one or 2 that can do it all and I listen to headphones in various rooms so not having to move one headphone to another room along with the DAC/amp if the headphone needs it is one way of doing it.  You can look in my profile to see what I have/had.  I usually use 4-5 different headphones everyday, I just like the different  sound signatures and even listening to the same track on different headphones can be enjoyable.

Good point, sadly my HE 4 is my be all end all, with mods it's really just epic [and I haven't even done the grill mods that every one seems to love, just wood cups and some well worn dt 880 pads] 

And these are looking REALLY tempting! They seem to be some kind of wood back headphone, and at $300!!! That's a tempting for a Planar!

can some one link me to this Papertowel mod?  

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #2,877 of 8,051
  Good point, sadly my HE 4 is my be all end all, with mods it's really just epic [and I haven't even done the grill mods that every one seems to love, just wood cups and some well worn dt 880 pads] 

And these are looking REALLY tempting! They seem to be some kind of wood back headphone, and at $300!!! That's a tempting for a Planar!

can some one link me to this Papertowel mod?  

It is pretty simple. cut a 3" diameter circle of paper towel (Brawny is what Cskippy used). Put the paper towel on the outside of the foam under the outer grill. Most important, buy Audeze Vegan pads ($65), and swap out the leather stock pads. They are glued on, so carefully pull them off. The Vegan pads will stick to the glue on the ear cups. Be careful lining up the pads, as the Vegans are slightly larger than the stock. Boom, for ~$365, you have an awesome all around headphone. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #2,878 of 8,051
  while we wait for the M1060's to come back in stock, is the M560's worth checking out?  or for $199+tax+shipping i shouldn't even bother with it?

As someone who jut received the M560, I would suggest you skip it.

They sound pretty clean and the bass is very good, but there's something about the sound I'm really not digging. Sounds kinda mid/vocal forward to me or just vocal are very present, in you face. That may not always be a bad thing but I feel like I'm missing the music sometimes. It's odd. I feel like the sound isn't surrounding me, like my also recent, modded T50RPs. The M560 not uncomfortable per say, but not quite comfortable either. wish the ear pads where a bit bigger.

I'm probably sounding harsher than I should, but as i whole they just don't do it for me. Maybe it's a sound some people can really appreciate, but I enjoy my other headphones more.

I find my modded T50RP much more enjoyable. Less fatiguing, more comfortable, and a much more enveloping sound. Mods and all it cost me the same or less then the M560. The modded T50RP lacks some oh the highs of the M560, but I perfer that for extended listening.

The M560 is more portable, MUCH easier to drive and have an open or closed option. So it has it's place.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,879 of 8,051
Has anyone tried the xDuoo TA-01 with the M1060? One of the Amazon reviews said it paired will with his LCD-2.2. I've been looking for a high power amp that will work well for my planars (T20-RP MK III, HE-400, and my future M1060) and TA-01 is on Massdrop right now for $120. The specs claim that it will do 2100 mW (32-ohm load) which is more powerful on paper than even the Jotunheim for single ended output. It's also over twice the output power of the Vali 2. I know the M1060 is easy-ish to drive but it also seems to scale well with more power (correct me if I'm wrong). And my T20-RP is pretty hard to drive. My planars also seem to be more amp picky than my dynamics, that's why I'm asking.

I have an original Magni right now and while it has quite a bit of power, but I'm not a fan of the sound sig (light-ish on bass and emphasis on the highs which make the sibilance problems on my HE-400 and T20-RP more noticeable) so I'm thinking that maybe I should avoid Schiit if that's their "house sound" (although the Vaili 2 is mighty tempting). The other advantage of the TA-01 is that it uses one (no need to get matching pairs) 12AU7 tubes which is the same as my Bravo Audio Ocean. And since I've already done tube rolling on my Bravo I have extra tubes laying around that I can try. And I like the warmth that tubes afford. But maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a NFB-11, Jot, or ifi Micro and call it a day.

The big caveat, however, is that most say the TA-01 isn't a real hybrid because of lack of power going into the tube, making the advantages of a tubes, in this case, negated. But if any of you have had experience with this amp, particularly in relation to M1060/planars I would be supremely grateful.
Thanks! 
dt880smile.png

EDIT: Also, on a partially unrelated note, have you guys seen the new black color for the Jotunheim? It looks very interesting!

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,880 of 8,051
  Has anyone tried the xDuoo TA-01 with the M1060? One of the Amazon reviews said it paired will with his LCD-2.2. I've been looking for a high power amp that will work well for my planars (T20-RP MK III, HE-400, and my future M1060) and TA-01 is on Massdrop right now for $120. The specs claim that it will do 2100 mW (32-ohm load) which is more powerful on paper than even the Jotunheim for single ended output. It's also over twice the output power of the Vali 2. I know the M1060 is easy-ish to drive but it also seems to scale well with more power (correct me if I'm wrong). And my T20-RP is pretty hard to drive. My planars also seem to be more amp picky than my dynamics, that's why I'm asking.

I have an original Magni right now and while it has quite a bit of power, but I'm not a fan of the sound sig (light-ish on bass and emphasis on the highs which make the sibilance problems on my HE-400 and T20-RP more noticeable) so I'm thinking that maybe I should avoid Schiit if that's their "house sound" (although the Vaili 2 is mighty tempting). The other advantage of the TA-01 is that it uses one (no need to get matching pairs) 12AU7 tubes which is the same as my Bravo Audio Ocean. And since I've already done tube rolling on my Bravo I have extra tubes laying around that I can try. And I like the warmth that tubes afford. But maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a NFB-11, Jot, or ifi Micro and call it a day.

The big caveat, however, is that most say the TA-01 isn't a real hybrid because of lack of power going into the tube, making the advantages of a tubes, in this case, negated. But if any of you have had experience with this amp, particularly in relation to M1060/planars I would be supremely grateful.
Thanks! 
dt880smile.png

EDIT: Also, on a partially unrelated note, have you guys seen the new black color for the Jotunheim? It looks very interesting!

​Power is not everything, you should also consider the output impedance and voltage.  The original Magni was bright to me also and the Jot is also a touch on the bright side to me.  I would suggest looking at the Ember or Solstice since you already have some 12au7 tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back