Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 16, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #2,821 of 8,051
  I have a set of balanced cables from Venture Eletronics/Veclan, but i'm not in love with the cable noise of the rigid braided coating, any good alternatives for a balanced MMCX-> XLR 4-pin cable with less cable noise?

Did you get the older or newer cable? Apparently the new ones are done with soft nylon that are a lot less stiff or microphonic.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,822 of 8,051
  Hmm. Definitely seems like it's good to hang tight for the time being and see what kind of revisions Monoprice does. 

I'll defo say if you want to get into the tube world then hang onto the 650s. 

My opinion ... the 600's (I own them) and the 1060's (I sent them back) are so far apart that you want to have both. I'll wait until Monoprice has worked things out and buy them again. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #2,823 of 8,051
  Impact Audio Cables finally open up their shop to the Monolith M1060 :D
https://www.etsy.com/listing/524882659/custom-infinity-series-monolith-m1060?ref=shop_home_feat_1

I own the one on the pic and quality, sound, craftsmanship is amazing. Not to forget that for a US made custom audio cable is super affordable!

My cable is on order! MMCX to XLR, 8ft. Really excited to add it to my M1060
  I am so terribly intrigued by these. Generally, I prefer dynamics, but I do miss my old LCD-2 (pre-fazor) sometimes. However, I'm just not sure. Some seem to rave, meanwhile a review I saw (Verum Sonus) was seriously harsh on them. I'm reading through here and still stuck with the same question: if I'm looking for a warm/lush kind of sound out of a headphone, are these gonna do it?

They are kinda similar to my Stax 207, but slightly more emphasized bass and lower extension before rolling off. If you look way back at a stock M1060 FR graph, there's a scoop in the upper mids/treble, immediately followed by a spike. And that's exactly what I heard (stock), though the scoop wasn't as audible as the graph indicated. The spike in stock form though....wow, outta nowhere it would slap me upside the head!

I'm a big believer in burn-in, no matter what anyone says. The combination of Audeze leather-free pads and (lots and lots of) burn-in alleviated that spike for me. M1060 seriously seems to get better over time, even now.

Referring back to the M1060 graph and comparing it to my Stax 207.....my ears tell me the graph of the 207 would be straight as a screwing ruler. Overall the Stax are still better to me.....but M1060 does a damn good job, especially considering the price.

That being said, I don't WANT them to compete with my neutral-sounding Stax, I DO want the M1060 to compliment them with a warmer, more bass-centric sound. So I'm quite happy with M1060 :)

I'm looking at selling off most of my collection, as I just don't see a need for most of them anymore. The HP's I'll keep would be:

HD600
HD6XX
TH-X00 PH
M1060
Stax (all)

And honestly, each of those is on my "will keep forever" list.

For what it's worth I'm not using the paper towel mod, though I am using the Audeze vegan pads.  Forgive me, but I have a hard time with the idea (aesthetically) of paper towel cutouts being visible in the grills of my headphones.  

I can't complain about the sound quality at all, however.

LOL I have perhaps the same OCD-ness as you. I haven't done the paper towel mod, only because the white behind the grill would seriously F up my chi >.<

I need to go to a party store and look for black paper of some sort.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2,824 of 8,051
  Did you get the older or newer cable? Apparently the new ones are done with soft nylon that are a lot less stiff or microphonic.

Yeah I just noticed myself, gonna get those then... thoughts on 4- vs 8-wire?

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #2,825 of 8,051
  Yeah I just noticed myself, gonna get those then... thoughts on 4- vs 8-wire?

My gut would say the 8 wire just because it means less resistance, but I admit the litz wires look ugly as sin. Given the style of the M1060 I'd probably go with the espresso wire.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #2,827 of 8,051
  Lots of colors don't match well with my Schiit stack :)

Haha, fair point! I guess what really irks me about the others is it seems like the braiding is really loose. I'm not really wanting a cable that feels like it's falling all over the place. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #2,829 of 8,051

I didn't notice Impact was selling these yet, I just checked a couple weeks ago and didn't see anything. Thanks for posting this, gotta get me a set of these now.

I contacted him last week, and was told he was simply out of MMCX connectors and expected them on or around the 14th. I placed a pre-order before the official listing was put up, to beat the rush :)

Since his listing is up, I guess he received his connectors from the supplier as expected! I have not ordered from him before, but fully expect to absolutely love my cable when I receive it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #2,830 of 8,051
I'm just pressing F5 all day on monoprice website to see if these are available again lol... I'll order one of these as soon as possible...

beyersmile.png

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #2,832 of 8,051
I really hope there's another pair of headphones that is affordable, and on this level in the coming years. I'm good with my hd600's these days, and I'm not one to buy a bunch of headphones (buying a bunch of music, now that's a different story), so I'm counting on these to shift the sound quality to price ratio down a little in the next 3 years or so.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,834 of 8,051
No general holiday today in the US, though it is Patriots' Day in Massachusetts and Emancipation Day in the District of Columbia. (The latter means that, because traditional April 15 was on a Saturday, federal tax returns are not due until tomorrow, April 18.)

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2,835 of 8,051
  Hmmm  I don't know (I'm from Argentina). On monoprice they have an ETA 17/04/2017, so maybe today is available. 

Cya 
smily_headphones1.gif

Honestly, I wouldn't count on it. Monoprice is sometimes slow in updating their website. I think this was the date they put up after they first sold out. So if that was their original estimated date based on just getting more stock of the originals, but now they are talking about addressing the QC issues and possibly update the next batch, I would be very surprised if they could get that all done with the original timeline. Awesome if they can, but in my mind, I'm just going to assume I'll be waiting another month or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back