Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 30, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #2,401 of 8,051
Try putting half a nail polish removal pad under the grill.  You need to pull it apart and use the side that is more porous looking.  Cut out a circle from the foam cover that comes in the box.  Use the foam to keep the cotton nail pad in place.  It will drop the mid bass bump down.   
[COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR][COLOR=AEC3DA]
f85UwOIFpbN5RFjVjR4FUAdRkPATYofb1gArHLyjYO3hKbvr3lVJ_x74QLNLBkZQ1ffV4hemng_nt3prcfK-DAEk2vHSh-Nb2JiNUkvpoM0nOpcosyNoGtc-nJV8w4wMZjoR87JZBSZQzv0jItMVZQMjkBJDvZRgw0PpHloxGUcFKg2iVCYiNgkC4YSzd6ufIEJYNWQX07ayATqXBvAPi76NiXQ34FegQlN7WVZOyhcRVuDbPBYSLUXoCAJMeOrHzXbiqD8QCj_C79raoJHQSyhetH0188hbMJao-Mq4NPxfmGlau7By3-TRI9aBLHXhMYlxDoJd7RGz6yR0MJ72_KbHF1ZsSeEpbbSVbQxxz3leuHG1ijPaPrQCSSFh6MLuUWsBNB4WDlpjhf12aC9iljVeBFKh7s0W5jN_emQ8jhSDysUrWNIFtvLfxXh7_w7EfDNx3YRllygljXw8TchtYFWK4qpmlEPaphHascLoa6jAO9QrkJs2Ene3TZr3vbzQJQskRpe5HTm1LC-PBnHpECqYzFxjxrzHiY4c0SiZwN11oD7TmNT_IouFu5mLKZbVfLt1jeOEXvPZsfhuIDvaiGw1XY0YYBc0cfSRkKKyM2SvYLXI=w2539-h1298-no
[/COLOR][COLOR=AEC3DA] [/COLOR]

Interesting.

Sorry if I missed it...what gear and software did you use for measurements?

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2,404 of 8,051
I bought from Adorama many times in the past for camera gear and got my audeze pads there, so it's legit. I actually was missing the adhesive, so they sent me a new one straight from Audeze yesterday.

Anyway, I rigged up my own measurement rig using my Audyssey mic from my Marantz receiver and drilled a hole into a small wooden dip bowl for it to go in. Then placed felt over the bowl and left the mic uncovered. It's attached to a box with a cutout for the mic to fit in. The headphone cup fits over the bowl and it gives a pretty good fit like an ear would.

Just tried a few measurements on some of my low-end Planar Magnetics:

M1060 with vegan pads only. No stock felt cover on the driver.

M1060 with Vegans vs Audeze Sines vs modded T50 RP Mk3 (painted, floam interior, brainwavz lambskin leather pads, slits through felt vent covers)

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #2,405 of 8,051
You have a major bass boost below 500Hz.  I'm guessing it's due to the shape of the bowl on the headphone side not being flat and resonance from the bowl itself conducting the vibrations.  Not bad results though.  You can definitely see what mods do to your headphones.  Try the mic just in a box like shown in previous posts.  Use a CD under the 2mm foam and possibly add felt around the mic if desired.  

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,406 of 8,051
  You have a major bass boost below 500Hz.  I'm guessing it's due to the shape of the bowl on the headphone side not being flat and resonance from the bowl itself conducting the vibrations.  Not bad results though.  You can definitely see what mods do to your headphones.  Try the mic just in a box like shown in previous posts.  Use a CD under the 2mm foam and possibly add felt around the mic if desired.  

Yea. I'll try a flat mic set up later and post results!

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #2,407 of 8,051
I got my replacement M1060's today and I'm glad to have a new pair. I have missed these bad boys! I love the sound, comfort, and the way these look. The wood on this pair looks to be a little better quality than my first pair. I ordered a cool 5N OCC cable to use with my M1060 which is pictured below. I'll report back if I have any wood splitting or other issues with this new pair.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #2,408 of 8,051
Just a quick follow up on the M560.

I had not listened to my pair in weeks. I have been listening to either HifiMan He-560 or Audeze LCD-X exclusively in that time.

Also in that time I bought a dedicated tube head-amp, the Icon Audio HP8 MkII. I am a big fan of Icon, which offers terrific value in their products. To this point I am pleased with the HP8, but I'm not waxing poetic about it like I did/am/will the Icon Stereo 20PP integrated tube amp. Anyway.. I thought I would see what the HP8 did for the Monoprice M560.

Wow. Now that is much better than I remember. Still a bit constricted and unnatural upper mids to treble transition, still some hardness on top, but my oh my it's much more listenable. This is more like it!

And the bass is no longer anemic! Much fuller and solid. Now I am hearing a headphone that at LEAST justifies its price and will be very competitive with other offerings. With of course the caveat here being that is with an amp that costs 6 times the price of the headphones.

BUT, I am sure there are more cost effective amp options that will show an improvement as well. Once again I come face to face with the importance of system synergy.

I haven't had the HifiMan He-400s in house for awhile, so my memory of it is inadequate to make a definitive statement, but based on what I remember of it, what I hear now from the M560 is very competitive.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #2,409 of 8,051
Here's a modified version with a flat disc + felt test / still using an audyssey mic:

M1060 w/ Vegan Pads

Planar Magnetic Battle: Audeze Sine vs M1060/Vegan vs Modded T50RP Mk3

SHP9500 vs Planar Magnetics

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #2,413 of 8,051
Cant make up my mind between HE400s or HE400i(used) or M1060. If anyone happens to have all of them, how's the sound compare?

I have both the HE400i and the M1060. In my opinion, the Hifimans excel in detail and soundstage width, as well as treble and speed.

I prefer the M1060s for their bass and complete lack of ear fatigue.

The Hifimans are lighter, and to me, more comfortable, due to the narrowness of the Monolith headband and the direction of the foam cushions.

My M1060's wood cracked, but the Hifimans creak when I turn my head.

That said, I love them both immensely.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #2,414 of 8,051
I have both the HE400i and the M1060. In my opinion, the Hifimans excel in detail and soundstage width, as well as treble and speed.

I prefer the M1060s for their bass and complete lack of ear fatigue.

The Hifimans are lighter, and to me, more comfortable, due to the narrowness of the Monolith headband and the direction of the foam cushions.

My M1060's wood cracked, but the Hifimans creak when I turn my head.

That said, I love them both immensely.

"That said, I love them both immensely." Yea mate, that's not helping.
biggrin.gif
That's just making me more confused. Hahaha. Thanks tho.

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #2,415 of 8,051
  Cant make up my mind between HE400s or HE400i(used) or M1060. If anyone happens to have all of them, how's the sound compare?

I think tonally the 400i sounds more natural, especially the mids.  With a more forward midrange presentation.  Similar to the HD600.  The M1060 is an entirely different beast. I think it depends on what you listen to mostly.  For pop, electronic, etc the 1060 all the way....the 400i's can't even come close.  For more relaxed listening, consider the 400i.

Also consider what you'll be using the drive them as the 400i really needs more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back