Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 8, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #1,757 of 8,051
  I would boost it a tad at 2k rather than cut at 1k, but that comes down to personal preference.

Also, spend a bunch of time fiddling with Q and frequency around the 5k peak, as each individual headphone is going to have the peak at a slightly different frequency, and since there's a large dip immediately following the peak the last thing you want to do is overshoot and end up making the dip worse (phase will be really sad if you do). If the 5k range sounds good to you then it's probably fine, your ears have final authority and you can always continue to tweak in the future. If you're not noticing a huge difference try making a really large cut at high Q and sweep it around the 3.5-6.5 range to see if you can hear when it intersects with the center point between peak and trough, as the frequency gap will become much more noticeable at that point. Then you'll know about where your peak is and where to cut at.

Thank you for the advice.
smily_headphones1.gif
I decided to just listen to them without eq for now. I always feel as though I am going to detract from the sound of the headphone. By fixing one problem, I feel as though I'm going to create another. I like the stock sound of the M1060, but I am always on a quest to improve anything involving audio. I should just leave well enough alone for the time being.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #1,761 of 8,051
Has anyone heard back from Monoprice if removing the pads voids the warranty?

Nope. The rep on the phone made it seem it could be a month before they "create" the terms of the warranty. Hopefully he over estimated. What would piss me off is if they wait for most 30 day return policies to expire, then reveal a horrible coverage. Even worse... if they say it will not cover wood cracking due to natural causes such as environment changes (humidity).

We better bug them to give the warranty specifications before the return policy is up.

I am located in Utah, but I will be bringing these with me to California tomorrow for a few days. We will see if that has any effect.

P.S. I got mine last Wednesday (1 week) and mine have not cracked. I had cable issues, and I had the whole headband falling out of the left side (picture on previous post).But I put the headband back in without any issues so far, and they have sent me a new cable. (I bought a different cable and it solved the issue).

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #1,763 of 8,051
i own pm1 so are you saying the 1060 is better than pm1

For me, yes. I enjoy the balance more. But the construction of the PM-1 is clearly better.
I went through plenty of auditions and actually arrived at LCD2s vs HEX V2s.over the PM-1s
Then the 1060s came out, so at that point, value for money suddenly kicked in for me.

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #1,764 of 8,051
  Has anyone heard back from Monoprice if removing the pads voids the warranty?

The following is a cut & paste from an email inquiry I just recieved. I asked if they supplied spare parts like pads.

Dear New User,

Hello,
Thank you for contacting us! In regards to your inquiry,

For the Monolith M1060s the pads are glued on but you can replace them.
Damaging the headphones would void the warranty though so if you are going to replace them be careful not to damage anything.
I'm not seeing anything concerning replacement pads but we may in the future.
EmailMessage.html
The following Customer(s) have been CC'ed:

Ticket Information:
Ticket #:41053-570384
Date Created:2/25/2017 09:45 AM PST

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #1,766 of 8,051
So I just got my M1060 and listened to Chesky Records CD for testing high end HIFI systems. (The ultimate Demonstration Disk, 1995). you can find a youtube version (not as good as the version I have but will give you an idea). the record is guided selection of 14 songs that test different aspects of sound quality and reproduction. very informative I believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5IoRwr4DD0&index=1&list=PLdZhik4dyFHr4kncCtr024E2IfP330dP2
I want to share my first impressions here.

Build
The M1060 has no cracks or connector major issues. I swapped the cable with my Shure SE215 cable and it has the same fit as the M1060 stock cable (both plugs move/wobble slightly when you try to check the connection firmness unlike my Shure IEM connection). sound quality and connection reliability, however, is not impacted in my case. I did the opposite and connected the M1060 stock cable to my Shure IEM and it had a "firmer" connection to the the IEM female connector. I think the female connectors of the M1060 have more give and slightly looser tolerance. again, sound quality/connection is not impacted. The cable is short but I have my Micca Origin+ DAC/AMP on my disk and it is close enough. I have to be careful though when I reach for things on the other side of the desk or on the floor because how sort the cable is. I wish it was a couple of feet longer though.
The leather smells like getting into a luxury car at the dealership ... :) M1060 look, smell and feel like the "higher end" expensive headphones (probably high end need to be redefined now).
My X2 wins in the build quality (like a tank) and I would say even comfort. the M1060 is comfortable but not like X2 where I leave it on for hours.
My Micca Origin+ drives them just enough to painful level at MAX. I got the vegan pads delivered today also but I will wait on swapping the stock pads until I read more impressions.

Sound Quality
I am new to the audiophile world and only started investing last year in better systems. I believe when you start, you have a limited number of "wow" moments when you first hear quality sound that blows you out of the water compared to what you are used to hear from low quality equipment. I already had two of those wow moments; when I first heard the Philips Fidilio X2 (currently my daily driver) and when I first hooked up my KEF LS50 and listened to Lydia Gray's "sorry seem to be the hardest word". As your ears adjust to quality sound reproduction, you seem to get less WOW'ed by higher quality gear since it is not a major step up to your "burned in" ears (but surely low quality gear will sound crappier than you remember). I was worried that the M1060 would not wow me compared to the excellent X2's BUT it did. at least in some parts of the sound spectrum were the X2 dynamic driver was physically limiting. I am not even sure if it is possible to reproduce sound "much" better than this honestly with a headphone. Anything more will have probably minor impact on the listening experience IMHO. I tried the LCD-2, LCD-X and HIFIMAN HE-1000 V2 recently where I played DSD music on high end amplifier and they were excellent. The M1060, however, is right there. I may not remember the exact sound differences between them and the M1060 but I do remember the experience and that's what matters to me at least. They are all excellent and the M1060 is in the same league in SQ, IMHO. If those where on top of the "sound quality" hill having fun, then the M1060 has just joined the party. where it probably falls short is in the build quality given what others are experiencing. I have not seen any issues yet but time will tell.
Bass ? it is hitting my sweet spot for my taste. vocals are clear but tad recessed compared to my X2, not by much but I noticed it while A/B them. I will wait and reserve judgment until the cans are burned in to make a final judgment. Treble is just great and balanced (I don't like bright cans and find them too sharp and fatiguing for my ears, talking about you DT-770 :)). The M1060 has also made me appreciate my X2 when it comes to dynamic driver cans. the X2's are great too and I would recommend them anytime to my friends as a daily driver. I am also waiting for my Modhouse Argon next week so I will see how it compares to both X2 and M1060.

overall
Monoprice has really hit a home run with the M1060 when it comes to sound quality. if they pay more attention to the build quality without impacting the price, they will have a game changer and will surely dominate the market of $300+ headphones ( Audeze and HIFIMAN should be very worried!). Anyone who is in the market for buying quality headphones should try the M1060 first and see if it is worth it to pay three times that (or more) for high end ones. yes, they are that great and I second those who think that it could be an end game cans. Monoprice, don't screw this and focus on build quality now.
gs1000.gif

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #1,768 of 8,051
  I got mine yesterday. everything works, no connector issues or cracks, and these shipped all the way to finland, but we'll see how these hold up.

Just curious for those that recently received theirs, when did you order? I know you had to ship internationally so probably a while ago but wondering when last these were in stock. Cheers

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,769 of 8,051
  Just curious for those that recently received theirs, when did you order? I know you had to ship internationally so probably a while ago but wondering when last these were in stock. Cheers

I ordered mine few hours after they posted them on their website on Feb 24th so I was one of the earliest to order. I think their 500 stock lasted just over a week.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #1,770 of 8,051
  So I just got my M1060 and listened to Chesky Records CD for testing high end HIFI systems. (The ultimate Demonstration Disk, 1995). you can find a youtube version (not as good as the version I have but will give you an idea). the record is guided selection of 14 songs that test different aspects of sound quality and reproduction. very informative I believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5IoRwr4DD0&index=1&list=PLdZhik4dyFHr4kncCtr024E2IfP330dP2
I want to share my first impressions here.

Build
The M1060 has no cracks or connector major issues. I swapped the cable with my Shure SE215 cable and it has the same fit as the M1060 stock cable (both plugs move/wobble slightly when you try to check the connection firmness unlike my Shure IEM connection). sound quality and connection reliability, however, is not impacted in my case. I did the opposite and connected the M1060 stock cable to my Shure IEM and it had a "firmer" connection to the the IEM female connector. I think the female connectors of the M1060 have more give and slightly looser tolerance. again, sound quality/connection is not impacted. The cable is short but I have my Micca Origin+ DAC/AMP on my disk and it is close enough. I have to be careful though when I reach for things on the other side of the desk or on the floor because how sort the cable is. I wish it was a couple of feet longer though.
The leather smells like getting into a luxury car at the dealership ... :) M1060 look, smell and feel like the "higher end" expensive headphones (probably high end need to be redefined now).
My X2 wins in the build quality (like a tank) and I would say even comfort. the M1060 is comfortable but not like X2 where I leave it on for hours.
My Micca Origin+ drives them just enough to painful level at MAX. I got the vegan pads delivered today also but I will wait on swapping the stock pads until I read more impressions.

Sound Quality
I am new to the audiophile world and only started investing last year in better systems. I believe when you start, you have a limited number of "wow" moments when you first hear quality sound that blows you out of the water compared to what you are used to hear from low quality equipment. I already had two of those wow moments; when I first heard the Philips Fidilio X2 (currently my daily driver) and when I first hooked up my KEF LS50 and listened to Lydia Gray's "sorry seem to be the hardest word". As your ears adjust to quality sound reproduction, you seem to get less WOW'ed by higher quality gear since it is not a major step up to your "burned in" ears (but surely low quality gear will sound crappier than you remember). I was worried that the M1060 would not wow me compared to the excellent X2's BUT it did. at least in some parts of the sound spectrum were the X2 dynamic driver was physically limiting. I am not even sure if it is possible to reproduce sound "much" better than this honestly with a headphone. Anything more will have probably minor impact on the listening experience IMHO. I tried the LCD-2, LCD-X and HIFIMAN HE-1000 V2 recently where I played DSD music on high end amplifier and they were excellent. The M1060, however, is right there. I may not remember the exact sound differences between them and the M1060 but I do remember the experience and that's what matters to me at least. They are all excellent and the M1060 is in the same league in SQ, IMHO. If those where on top of the "sound quality" hill having fun, then the M1060 has just joined the party. where it probably falls short is in the build quality given what others are experiencing. I have not seen any issues yet but time will tell.
Bass ? it is hitting my sweet spot for my taste. vocals are clear but tad recessed compared to my X2, not by much but I noticed it while A/B them. I will wait and reserve judgment until the cans are burned in to make a final judgment. Treble is just great and balanced (I don't like bright cans and find them too sharp and fatiguing for my ears, talking about you DT-770 :)). The M1060 has also made me appreciate my X2 when it comes to dynamic driver cans. the X2's are great too and I would recommend them anytime to my friends as a daily driver. I am also waiting for my Modhouse Argon next week so I will see how it compares to both X2 and M1060.

overall
Monoprice has really hit a home run with the M1060 when it comes to sound quality. if they pay more attention to the build quality without impacting the price, they will have a game changer and will surely dominate the market of $300+ headphones ( Audeze and HIFIMAN should be very worried!). Anyone who is in the market for buying quality headphones should try the M1060 first and see if it is worth it to pay three times that (or more) for high end ones. yes, they are that great and I second those who think that it could be an end game cans. Monoprice, don't screw this and focus on build quality now.
gs1000.gif

I couldn't agree more.  Every time I put the M1060 on I smile and say wow.  I also have not had any quality issues.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back