Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 6, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #6,946 of 8,051
I have been enjoying my m1060s for a while now but I would like to get a dac/amp for it.
I'm already set on the Micca G2 but I just checked amazon and they are not selling it anymore :frowning2:
Any advice on what I should do?
Should I try to buy one used or pay extra from another website?
Or maybe I should just get a different dac/amp idk :frowning2:

The M1060s are super easy to drive. If you can't find the Micca G2 for the price you're after there are plenty of options in that price range. I had a Micca Origen+ ages ago - nice little unit, but a tad bright sounding.
I have a friend that owns an SMSL M3 and has good things to say about it.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #6,947 of 8,051
Hey, has anyone had any issues with getting a pair of M560s with either ear being too loud? Just received a pair from Amazon and noticed that on some songs with a lot of detail and things going on (loud edm) that the left side is pretty noticeably louder, especially in vocals. Thought maybe I was crazy first and tried several different sources (laptop, phone, brother's phone, DAC, etc.) and still had the same results. Asked my brother if he could tell that the left side was louder and he said he definitely could. Got my sister to try them with the sides flipped and just asked her if she could tell if one side was louder. She agreed that the left side (now on her right ear) was louder. So I'd say that pretty much confirms it for me.

Additionally, one of the little wooden massdrop logos had already fallen off on the right side when I took it out of the box. And, the tape on the box was already cut. These were supposed to be brand new, but I'm pretty sure they were actually factory refurbs or something.

I tried turning down the left side by 1.5dB using the hi-fi DAC on my LG V20 and that seems to have made it a lot less noticeable, to the point where it sounds basically normal in most songs.

Weird! Anyone else had this?

TxPXDqy.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #6,948 of 8,051
What you are describing is driver imbalance. A lot of cheaper headphones can have this. My suggestion is to return them if possible. If you want to see it's just some frequencies or the whole range run the tests on this page. https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
In particular try the driver matching full range sweep test.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #6,949 of 8,051
What you are describing is driver imbalance. A lot of cheaper headphones can have this. My suggestion is to return them if possible. If you want to see it's just some frequencies or the whole range run the tests on this page. https://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php
In particular try the driver matching full range sweep test.
Ah, thanks. Did the driver balance test, and it seems like the low ranges were pretty much even, but then there were a couple spots in the upper frequencies where the sound was kept moving from side to side pretty bad.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #6,951 of 8,051
I cracked open the shell and decided to add dampening material inside the left cup... I guess the dampening material I had lying around is too aggressive. the sound is suddenly dull... :\ I guess I'll have to find another substance :D Any suggestions? I really wanna keep these as close-back, as they're for an office environment.

I'm driving it with a Bluewave get right now and the sound is terrific! The LG V30's DAC doesn't seem to be quite as powerful as the Get...

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #6,952 of 8,051
I'm a fan of the M1060s, but QC is starting to get really annoying. Will be initiating 4th RMA soon.

RMA #1: version 1 with mmcx connectors. Connectors failed after about 6 months.
RMA #2: Problem with cable. They RMA'd the headphones rather than just replacing the cable (despite the fact that the cable is available separately on the Monoprice site...).
RMA #3: Two months ago. Wooden rings cracked on both sides.
RMA #4: Now, wooden rings have cracked again!

Anyone else experiencing cracking? I thought they figured this out early on, but apparently not. My current pair cracked in three of the four places where the headband attaches to the cups.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #6,953 of 8,051
I'm a fan of the M1060s, but QC is starting to get really annoying. Will be initiating 4th RMA soon.

RMA #1: version 1 with mmcx connectors. Connectors failed after about 6 months.
RMA #2: Problem with cable. They RMA'd the headphones rather than just replacing the cable (despite the fact that the cable is available separately on the Monoprice site...).
RMA #3: Two months ago. Wooden rings cracked on both sides.
RMA #4: Now, wooden rings have cracked again!

Anyone else experiencing cracking? I thought they figured this out early on, but apparently not. My current pair cracked in three of the four places where the headband attaches to the cups.

I looked inside the 1060c's and for sure I will oil the wood... It looks dry. :/ Maybe same thing on your end.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #6,954 of 8,051
I cracked open the shell and decided to add dampening material inside the left cup... I guess the dampening material I had lying around is too aggressive. the sound is suddenly dull... :\ I guess I'll have to find another substance :D Any suggestions? I really wanna keep these as close-back, as they're for an office environment.

I'm driving it with a Bluewave get right now and the sound is terrific! The LG V30's DAC doesn't seem to be quite as powerful as the Get...

I think this is the open thread, pull back the material covering the vents and expose 3 of the vents. Remove the two small foam discs and see how that goes.

Buy me a beer later.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #6,955 of 8,051
I think this is the open thread, pull back the material covering the vents and expose 3 of the vents. Remove the two small foam discs and see how that goes.

Buy me a beer later.

Ah ha! I grabbed this thread from another member, did not bother to check if there was a 1060c thread.

I'll consider the beer unless you destroy my 1060c! :beyersmile: Thanks.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #6,956 of 8,051
I looked inside the 1060c's and for sure I will oil the wood... It looks dry. :/ Maybe same thing on your end.

Yep, a good idea. Anyone have suggestions for the right type of oil?

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #6,957 of 8,051
Yep, a good idea. Anyone have suggestions for the right type of oil?

Vegetable oil for wood... Coconut works well for me. Otherwise, you also have watco danish oil which I've used with success. If possible, rub it on the inside of the ring, as the outside is polished and it could ruin the finish.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #6,958 of 8,051
So I got my m1060's this weekend delivered from Monoprice. Just been listening this morning and compared to my HE-400i's they seem a little veiled. I'll give them some time to break in a bit and then look at some of the mods etc.

Plus, did anyone else's stink when you first got them? They smell like bug spray. :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #6,959 of 8,051
So I got my m1060's this weekend delivered from Monoprice. Just been listening this morning and compared to my HE-400i's they seem a little veiled. I'll give them some time to break in a bit and then look at some of the mods etc.

Plus, did anyone else's stink when you first got them? They smell like bug spray. :)

Yup I think it's the adhesive Monoprice uses.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #6,960 of 8,051

My M1060 didn't stink at all, but my M1060c smelled super strong at first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back