Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Dec 23, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #6,377 of 8,051
M1060 has pretty bad ringing and sibilance at stock. Even after modding ringing is still there and if you go even further down the road to reduce the ringing, you'll sacrifice the details it's able to produce. That being said, I prefer it much much better than HD600, HD650, HE400i and LCD-2.2F, its just fun and enjoyable to listen to.

Dec 23, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #6,379 of 8,051
wait what even with ringing?

Something you have to learn about this hobby is that reading reviews and listening to opinions is mostly counter productive. For instance, many dislike the Focal Elear for being too dark and bass heavy. Funny thing is, it's sounds musically neutral to me (as in neutral without being boring). So it's my reference headphone. No amount of graphs and reviews would have made me come to that conclusion. The M1060 is especially polarizing because it's the first $200+ headphone many are getting and expectations can run wild when it's your first "high end" headphone (I only say high end because it has similarities to the LCD-2 which has an $1000 MSRP). Also, it probably wasn't tuned as carefully as many, more expensive headphones are. I think this led to some of these characteristics like the mid harshness or ringing to affect some, including me. However, I think I have a general mid range sensitivity since there are other headphones that bother me. I got lucky because it seems that @cskippy and I have similar ears, so his mods for the M1060 worked great for me. And even though I'm a bass head, I didn't mind the drop in the bass caused by the vegans because it EQs really well and now I can actually stand to listen to female vocals. Before I got the vegans I was going to sell the headphone. I'm glad I didn't.

Bottom line is that the only person's ears you should really trust is your own. Because I can almost guarantee that your opinion will be different from everyone else's. Don't let some trolls on Discord or forum commenter dissuade you from this hobby. You just have to learn how your ears hear by trying out lots of headphones and forming your own opinions. There is no replacement for experience.

Dec 23, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #6,380 of 8,051
I tried out the 400i, 600 and 650. settled on 600 because i felt it captured a lot of what I liked about the 400i with the 650s smooth relaxed style.

Im satisfied but I miss the clean sound and bass of 400i (i.e I miss planar) and the rich, enveloping sound from the 650... The LCD2 classic seems like a good way to capture the essence of both these but its a lot of money.

Would the M1060 be worth considering? the poor mans LCD2 as its been called.
How does it compare to the 400i and 650?

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #6,381 of 8,051
So the hd650 is better?
Depends on the individual and experiences along with the supporting gear that you have.
After trying the M1060 twice I figured that its sound signature was something that I didn't care for since it was boring and lifeless to me and I even tried it on a few different mid range to high end setups. There is also the issue of build quality and weight that I didn't care for.

The HD650 is a good/great headphone but its not the easiest to drive properly so you would most likely have to invest in a decent/good amp. Many say the HD650 needs the higher output impedance of most OTL amps since that is what they were designed for and I'd have to agree that mine sound great on a BH Crack. If you don't want to be bothered with amps then take a look at the HD660S, a great sounding headphone that will sound good/great with a greater variety of gear and also the HD58X on MassDrop that is going on now.

The choice you make should be based on the type of music you listen to, your current gear (amps/DACs), your listening levels and consider things like comfort and ergonomics.

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #6,382 of 8,051
Depends on the individual and experiences along with the supporting gear that you have.
After trying the M1060 twice I figured that its sound signature was something that I didn't care for since it was boring and lifeless to me and I even tried it on a few different mid range to high end setups. There is also the issue of build quality and weight that I didn't care for.

The HD650 is a good/great headphone but its not the easiest to drive properly so you would most likely have to invest in a decent/good amp. Many say the HD650 needs the higher output impedance of most OTL amps since that is what they were designed for and I'd have to agree that mine sound great on a BH Crack. If you don't want to be bothered with amps then take a look at the HD660S, a great sounding headphone that will sound good/great with a greater variety of gear and also the HD58X on MassDrop that is going on now.

The choice you make should be based on the type of music you listen to, your current gear (amps/DACs), your listening levels and consider things like comfort and ergonomics.

660s are VIRTUALLY easier to drive... in reality, they are they as hard drive as any HD series... some reviewers say that 660s not worth it (hd600/650/xx better twice cheaper)

1060 has a good range from subbase to bright hights, really good soundstage... while 650 has good mids and kinda midbase... and almost no soundstage.

So it really depends on what music you prefer. More base more soundstage - 1060. More vocals don't care much about soundstage pick HD series

Dec 23, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #6,383 of 8,051
660s are VIRTUALLY easier to drive... in reality, they are they as hard drive as any HD series... some reviewers say that 660s not worth it (hd600/650/xx better twice cheaper)

1060 has a good range from subbase to bright hights, really good soundstage... while 650 has good mids and kinda midbase... and almost no soundstage.

So it really depends on what music you prefer. More base more soundstage - 1060. More vocals don't care much about soundstage pick HD series

After comparing the HD660S to my HD650/6XX and a few other headphones on various gear from an iPhone 6S to some good amps like EC ZDS, MicorZOTL, HA-501, BH Crack and a few others the one thing the HD660S did was sound good/great on almost and source. Both M1060's that I tried did have decent sub-bass and soundstage but neither had bright highs and the mids were a bit recessed in comparison to the HD650 and why I consider it boring and lifeless. Also, the genres that I would use the HD650 or M1060 for doesn't really need a good sound stage such as pop, rock, jpop, kpop, and EDM the lack of a good soundstage doesn't bother me. If I want soundstage and imaging I'd reach for HD800, HD700, T1 or HE560. I don't consider "X" headphone to be better than "Y" headphone and just like the different sound signatures of various headphones but those like the M1060, Nighthawk, Ether/EtherC and a few others just don't get me excited or want to listen more and its just a personal preference here. I admit that I was surprised by and maybe thinking that all the hype of the M1060 on this tread was deserved but after trying them twice the "hype" didn't live up to the reality for me but it seems to be a hit with others so I'm happy for those that find these great.

I'd say to just try them if you can return them easily, if not do more research since there are better alternative out there to me.

Dec 23, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #6,384 of 8,051
You have to wade through the many opinions and see what people are liking and disliking and if the plusses and minuses balance out to what you want. My 1060's are my favorite out of a lot of cans i've tried but I've kept several other pair because I sometimes like to switch up the sound sig but most of my time is on the 1060.

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #6,385 of 8,051
Just bought Monolith M560 and just realized how small the stock pads are. I have HM5 sheepskins pads on my other headphones and I really love them but they are not oval so I can't try them. Do you guys think I should get HM5 pads or Sony XB500 pads that Zeos mentioned on his video?

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #6,387 of 8,051

FYI ... not to be a jerk ... but you play 'bass' or listen to a 'bass' or turn up the 'bass', etc. You run for 'first base', work at the company 'home base', or ... you could be 'off base' :)

Dec 23, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #6,388 of 8,051
I love my M1060, never had a bit of ringing, clear highs, great bass. I've got no desire to mod them and mess with the stock sound. I own LCD2 Rev 2 pre fazors and the M1060 still get the majority of my ear time. As for whether the HD600/650 is better, that is entirely subjective. I find the HD600/650 boring. I'd rather listen to so many other headphones.

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #6,389 of 8,051
Nah Imma go with literally everyone besides you who told me the m1060 has issues and hd650 is much better. Sorry. My m1060 is being refunded, the 650 coming tommorow.
I went in the other direction, from the HD650 to the M1060. I like the M1060 MUCH better. HD650 was boring (though very nice with vocals).

I love my M1060...I find the HD600/650 boring. I'd rather listen to so many other headphones.
Totally agree.

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #6,390 of 8,051
Ok I added one rectangle folded piece of paper towel on both sides, All of the harshness is gone! However I think I am suffocating the drivers... since when I cover the grills with my hands while there is music playing there is little change in sound, I also did it just on one side and not on the other And could tell the one with the paper towel was much more quiet, more closer sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back