Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 4, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #4,321 of 8,051
So to be clear ... Remove the black material from the stock pads, put it over the drivers, remove the black material from the vegans, and put only the vegan pads on the cans over the stock material. Am I following you correctly ??

That is the way @cskippy did it. But he did it that way because his vegans were used from other things and he was missing the vegan backing material. I believe the people that have recently reported on this, have just went ahead and inserted the stock backing material against the driver and kept the vegan backing material attached, and therefore, placed on top of the stock backing material. The vegan backing material is so thin I am guessing it isn't a big deal to double up like this.

So there are two people saying stock pads without stock black driver cloth sounds good, and there are people saying vegan pads with stock black driver cloth driver sounds good.

Is it possible for someone to generate some graphs for comparison?

It is probably a good reminder that @MrTie84 did a ton of different mod comparison measurements and put them into a nice imgur album a while back.

Jun 4, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #4,323 of 8,051
That is the way @cskippy did it. But he did it that way because his vegans were used from other things and he was missing the vegan backing material. I believe the people that have recently reported on this, have just went ahead and inserted the stock backing material against the driver and kept the vegan backing material attached, and therefore, placed on top of the stock backing material. The vegan backing material is so thin I am guessing it isn't a big deal to double up like this.

It is probably a good reminder that @MrTie84 did a ton of different mod comparison measurements and put them into a nice imgur album a while back.

Thank you for bringing this back! However it would be nice to know what it measures with stock pads with pad felt removed; there does not appear to be a measurement for that.

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #4,325 of 8,051
Any tipps, where to get them from in Europe? Taxes are kinda high when importing; also takes them several weeks to process...

There are no official Monoprice sellers in Europe, so buying directly from monoprice.com is the best option. This is also the best option because of their 5 year warranty. My total came to 499 USD after import taxes and shipping, and I got them a week or so after I bought them, which is faster than some local music shops can deliver in my country..

Jun 4, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #4,326 of 8,051
Any tipps, where to get them from in Europe? Taxes are kinda high when importing; also takes them several weeks to process...
The M560 has just appeared on Amazon UK from a "global store" for about £190. Hopefully the M1060 will follow shortly.
This is what Amazon has to say about a global store:
  • Shop Amazon’s worldwide selection
  • Reliable international delivery in as little as 2 business days
  • Sold and shipped from abroad. All import customs duties and taxes included at the time of purchase
  • Customer service and returns processed by Amazon.co.uk
  • Separate terms and conditions of purchase apply
  • Manufacturer warranty will not apply

Jun 4, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #4,327 of 8,051
listening to stock without felt now, sounds so "organic" and nice, I recommend everyone to try it :)

So ... before I start ripping my 'stocks' apart ... is there a thin black material (ear side) over the felt on the stocks, making it 2 layers? Remove the felt and leave this thin layer? I've actually gone back to straight stock (no P-towels and stock pads), and as per David (Mr. DMS3 TV) am going to try some Creatology mods on the ear side of the driver. He suggests 'with the vegans', but I enjoy the low end punch that the stocks give. It's only the mids problem that I want to get rid of. Mostly, when there are strong multi-vocal parts ... 3-4 part harmony, that start to beak up and get nasty. Other than that, I'm fine with these. Also ... I 'think' that my Vers. 1 M1060s' had more low end impact than my Vers. 2, but I'm wondering if it's just that I'm used to it now, whereas when I first put the Vers. 1 on (first time I had ever experienced Planar bass) that it just blew me away. I'm thinking, from other posts here, that there can be differences from one pair to the next.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #4,328 of 8,051
So ... before I start ripping my 'stocks' apart ... is there a thin black material (ear side) over the felt on the stocks, making it 2 layers? Remove the felt and leave this thin layer? I've actually gone back to straight stock (no P-towels and stock pads), and as per David (Mr. DMS3 TV) am going to try some Creatology mods on the ear side of the driver. He suggests 'with the vegans', but I enjoy the low end punch that the stocks give. It's only the mids problem that I want to get rid of. Mostly, when there are strong multi-vocal parts ... 3-4 part harmony, that start to beak up and get nasty. Other than that, I'm fine with these. Also ... I 'think' that my Vers. 1 M1060s' had more low end impact than my Vers. 2, but I'm wondering if it's just that I'm used to it now, whereas when I first put the Vers. 1 on (first time I had ever experienced Planar bass) that it just blew me away. I'm thinking, from other posts here, that there can be differences from one pair to the next.

It might be possible though I am not sure how. Removing the whole thing intact is reversible though. If it's too bright, I would suggest adding something else instead. I had great luck with very thin and loose open cell foam.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #4,329 of 8,051

Did you see in my picture of the stock ear pad and backing I peeled it back so you can clearly see that the ear side and the driver side of the backing material is quite different. I think it is 1 solid piece though, at least it came off as 1 piece and it isn't clear that you can easily separate it into 2 pieces. Just stick that whole thing on top of the driver, felt side toward the driver, and then the vegans (with or without their backing) on top of that.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #4,330 of 8,051

It's only one piece of felt.. Try removing the whole thing and see if you like it better. I swear the ringing is a lot less audible now, but that's my ears, might be different for you.. I'm getting Audeze leather pads by the end of the week, can't wait :)

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #4,331 of 8,051
My V1 M1060's being modded with a much better 2.5mm connectors, OCC Silver Litz internal wiring, vegan pads, PT mod, black speaker cloth (covering the PT).

i think the correct name for your headphone is M2060 :)
very nice .. enjoy it

Jun 4, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #4,332 of 8,051
It's only one piece of felt.. Try removing the whole thing and see if you like it better. I swear the ringing is a lot less audible now, but that's my ears, might be different for you.. I'm getting Audeze leather pads by the end of the week, can't wait :)

So that would leave 'nothing' between my ear and the steel driver? Hmmm ...

Jun 4, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #4,334 of 8,051
I would still have some protective cloth over the metal slits to make sure nothing gets inside with the driver. A piece of hair or dry skin can mess with the diaphragm and create buzzing and distortion. It's a lot harder/impossible to get out since there are only narrow slits for it to enter but a large space to be once inside.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #4,335 of 8,051
There are no official Monoprice sellers in Europe, so buying directly from monoprice.com is the best option. This is also the best option because of their 5 year warranty. My total came to 499 USD after import taxes and shipping, and I got them a week or so after I bought them, which is faster than some local music shops can deliver in my country..

I doubt you'll get 5 years of warranty (I also was under the impression they had bumped it down to 1?) by ordering international. I was always told that purchasing something abroad, in that you purchase a US item to a country outside of the US, removes the warranty. Am I wrong?

I honestly just want to find out this and if Monoprice will ever make a v3 or not. Someone in here recommended me the TH-X00, but for $499 + shipping and tax (basically $620-650 total), it's simply too much. The M1060 already costs $420 total when importing it to Norway from Monoprice' own store.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back