Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 14, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #496 of 624
Got it. Unfortunately, unlike the LS amp happilly replacing the Magni 3+, the LS DAC on the other hand is quite a downgrade to in resolution and clarity and bass and noise floor when compared to the Modi 3+. It also responds a lot worse to my Loki EQ for some reason (increasing any dial makes it sound muddy and worse, unlike with the Modi 3+)

So for my headphones and my ears, Modi 3+ and LS amp is a great combo.
Sorry to hear that. I was hoping it would be a perfect match for the amp.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #497 of 624
Hi Guys wanted to ask, i recently purchased the modi multibit and paired it with the liquid spark and i find that the combination can get pretty harsh...this normally happens when the songs peak like vocals hitting highs and guitar solos and makes it uncomfortable to unbearable...now granted this was all done using tidal and when i compared the same song in musicbee using wasapi, the harshness is kinda tamed up....so my question is the LS doing this cause of the roll off in the top end or is this purely a tidal issue etc....i like the sound of this amp has an element of old schoolness to it which i like but if the amp is causing the issue then i might have to consider something else...hopefully some of you with the modi multibit can help...i'm connected to my pc via usb

Mar 14, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #498 of 624
Hi Guys wanted to ask, i recently purchased the modi multibit and paired it with the liquid spark and i find that the combination can get pretty harsh...this normally happens when the songs peak like vocals hitting highs and guitar solos and makes it uncomfortable to unbearable...now granted this was all done using tidal and when i compared the same song in musicbee using wasapi, the harshness is kinda tamed up....so my question is the LS doing this cause of the roll off in the top end or is this purely a tidal issue etc....i like the sound of this amp has an element of old schoolness to it which i like but if the amp is causing the issue then i might have to consider something else...hopefully some of you with the modi multibit can help...i'm connected to my pc via usb
Use your Modi Multibit via spdif coaxial. The Modi Multibit distorts like crazy ( especially in the high frequencies) via usb connection. And don't plug schiit products into power strips

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #502 of 624
oh sorry to hear...mine seems to be fine...so far i can't differentiate between the two at this point...maybe more listening tests might do the trick
Hehe i am planning buying the liquid spark as well to replace my magni3. Hope the harshness goes away on your combo using the optical port. Many said the optical connection has high jitters so it may sound any better compared to the usb..

Mar 15, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #503 of 624
What you're describing is what I was experiencing with Modi 3+ and Magni 3+. Once I swapped out the Magni 3+ for the LS amp, the "high-harshness" is more or less gone, but still present at times.

Maybe this is a Schiit thing? Their sound signature? I find when it happens, reducing the high-mid and high slider on Loki EQ (but you could probably use any software EQ as well) helps reduce/remove the harshness, too (at the expense of detail perhaps)

My ears are more sensitive than others to high frequency sounds. Maybe yours are as well

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #504 of 624
What you're describing is what I was experiencing with Modi 3+ and Magni 3+. Once I swapped out the Magni 3+ for the LS amp, the "high-harshness" is more or less gone, but still present at times.

Maybe this is a Schiit thing? Their sound signature? I find when it happens, reducing the high-mid and high slider on Loki EQ (but you could probably use any software EQ as well) helps reduce/remove the harshness, too (at the expense of detail perhaps)

My ears are more sensitive than others to high frequency sounds. Maybe yours are as well
hey yes you're actualyl right the LS amp is smooth i think i've managed to figure out the reason for this but since i'm a noob, i may have not really realise this but here goes....any headphones i put in low gain when i turn the volume up to about 1 O'clock, it gets harsh and i described earlier...but here's the think since then if i'm on headphones, i keep it in high gain and around 9-10 o'clock and they're fine no issues whatsoever just a thick and lucious presentation and if i'm on iems i will use low gain...i'm waiting on a optical toslink cable to compare it to USB but i think that might be my choice of connection since it's basically the cleanest and cheapest option available( my pc doesn't have coax so either usb or optical)...for me to use usb i might have to get something like and eitr or raspberry pi with either the digiberry or allo hats which would boost cost upwards...so at this time i'm happy to use optical since the ports are all there and the cost to me is that of a new cable....

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #505 of 624
hey yes you're actualyl right the LS amp is smooth i think i've managed to figure out the reason for this but since i'm a noob, i may have not really realise this but here goes....any headphones i put in low gain when i turn the volume up to about 1 O'clock, it gets harsh and i described earlier...but here's the think since then if i'm on headphones, i keep it in high gain and around 9-10 o'clock and they're fine no issues whatsoever just a thick and lucious presentation and if i'm on iems i will use low gain...i'm waiting on a optical toslink cable to compare it to USB but i think that might be my choice of connection since it's basically the cleanest and cheapest option available( my pc doesn't have coax so either usb or optical)...for me to use usb i might have to get something like and eitr or raspberry pi with either the digiberry or allo hats which would boost cost upwards...so at this time i'm happy to use optical since the ports are all there and the cost to me is that of a new cable....
I recently also found that I have better control of the sound levels and more able to pinpoint where I want sound to be, if I turned my Windows volume levels. I currently have Windows volume at 45% and I find I'm much happier and have better audio control than when it was at 100% in Windows.

Basically instead of the 8AM-11AM on the dial only being usable, now I can use 8AM-5PM comfortably and with a lot of control in between

ps just wondering, what kind of computer do you have that you have optical connection in it? And FWIW I'm using USB on the Modi 3+, to my PC, and happy with it. Haven't noticed distortions or anything of the sort.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #506 of 624
I recently also found that I have better control of the sound levels and more able to pinpoint where I want sound to be, if I turned my Windows volume levels. I currently have Windows volume at 45% and I find I'm much happier and have better audio control than when it was at 100% in Windows.

Basically instead of the 8AM-11AM on the dial only being usable, now I can use 8AM-5PM comfortably and with a lot of control in between

ps just wondering, what kind of computer do you have that you have optical connection in it? And FWIW I'm using USB on the Modi 3+, to my PC, and happy with it. Haven't noticed distortions or anything of the sort.
ok so i'm not sure if cranking the volume dial is the way to go....i generally keep everything software side (i.e windows 10 & vlc, tidal) at 100% always and control the dial on the amp..this allows the dac to receive the full signal source with the dynamic range and you can just adjust the volume on the amp...i have a desktop but my mobo has optical out so yea...i think usb is fine...the mimby's USB is supposedly iffy so most people use a reclocker of some sort like the eitr, but i'm not sure about the modi 3+...if i remember corrrectly they've changed it to micro usb but not sure if it's a newer usb module in there...so basically it boils down to implementation for example if you buy the bifrost, you wouldn't worry too much about usb implementation cause schiit used their unison tech in there which is a better usb module if you're on a tight budget like me, look at the cheapest alternative that your pc offers (like optical or coax) and possibly use that as a source to carry the signal

Mar 16, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #507 of 624
ok so i'm not sure if cranking the volume dial is the way to go....i generally keep everything software side (i.e windows 10 & vlc, tidal) at 100% always and control the dial on the amp..this allows the dac to receive the full signal source with the dynamic range and you can just adjust the volume on the amp...i have a desktop but my mobo has optical out so yea...i think usb is fine...the mimby's USB is supposedly iffy so most people use a reclocker of some sort like the eitr, but i'm not sure about the modi 3+...if i remember corrrectly they've changed it to micro usb but not sure if it's a newer usb module in there...so basically it boils down to implementation for example if you buy the bifrost, you wouldn't worry too much about usb implementation cause schiit used their unison tech in there which is a better usb module if you're on a tight budget like me, look at the cheapest alternative that your pc offers (like optical or coax) and possibly use that as a source to carry the signal
Hmm interesting info. I do still find setting it at 45% in Windows in my case allows me to enjoy my setup more, with finer tuning. But I can see your point about "full signal". Can anyone else chime in/confirm 100% in Windows and apps is usually the best practice?

Mar 16, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #508 of 624
Hmm interesting info. I do still find setting it at 45% in Windows in my case allows me to enjoy my setup more, with finer tuning. But I can see your point about "full signal". Can anyone else chime in/confirm 100% in Windows and apps is usually the best practice?
I can't do that in my system. I guess I have too many efficient headphones. My DAC is a Bifrost 2 which doesn't allow volume control. I have to keep the Windows volume at about 20% to have a decent range on my amps.

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #509 of 624
I can't do that in my system. I guess I have too many efficient headphones. My DAC is a Bifrost 2 which doesn't allow volume control. I have to keep the Windows volume at about 20% to have a decent range on my amps.
the mimby doesn't have volume control as well but it seems to be ok for with everything at 100%...i normally adjust the volume dial to get the sound where i want it to be

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #510 of 624
the mimby doesn't have volume control as well but it seems to be ok for with everything at 100%...i normally adjust the volume dial to get the sound where i want it to be
Are you a really loud listener? I am not and my amps have a lot of power. If I want to have any range at all on my amp knobs I need to keep Windows at about 20%.

And I Really enjoy the sound of my system. Of course I had to make lots of "bad" purchases to get to this point. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back