Monoprice Monolith Liquid Spark - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 26, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #331 of 624
This was mainly what my issue was with various headphones/cables:

Mainly sound slightly distorted and being cut out, like you get with bad connection, or broken input jacks. I'm not sure I was experiencing "severe distortion" though, so the return may have been warranted.

Are you getting a replacement?
The distortion I experienced was something like a really bad PA system, and then some, LOL. Yes, I'm getting a replacement.

May 6, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #332 of 624
I bought both Monoprice Cavalli units the Liquid Spark and Liquid Platinum, they both sound wonderful that "Cavalli" sound is very addictive!
Sadly after a couple of days, I started to have multiple problems with the Liquid Spark intermittently I have sometime mono sound, some noise/static with some files, and the unit just goes off and back on a few time. I have returned the unit to Amazon and I hope the new one will be trouble free.
As for the Platinum, I just experienced sparks when I connected the power adapter to the unit I sincerely hope this is nothing :expressionless: I going to read more about this on Head-fi forum and see if there cause for concern.

So far the sound of both units is fabulous but the manufacturing from Monoprice might be a problem, we shall see.

May 6, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #333 of 624
I bought both Monoprice Cavalli units the Liquid Spark and Liquid Platinum, they both sound wonderful that "Cavalli" sound is very addictive!
Sadly after a couple of days, I started to have multiple problems with the Liquid Spark intermittently I have sometime mono sound, some noise/static with some files, and the unit just goes off and back on a few time. I have returned the unit to Amazon and I hope the new one will be trouble free.
As for the Platinum, I just experienced sparks when I connected the power adapter to the unit I sincerely hope this is nothing :expressionless: I going to read more about this on Head-fi forum and see if there cause for concern.

So far the sound of both units is fabulous but the manufacturing from Monoprice might be a problem, we shall see.

Did you have the smps plugged in when you plugged the amp end into the amp ? Always make sure there's no power going through an smps when you plug it into the amp.

May 6, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #334 of 624
Did you have the smps plugged in when you plugged the amp end into the amp ? Always make sure there's no power going through an smps when you plug it into the amp.

I'm not sure, but I might have done exactly that :frowning2:
From now on I will make sure the smps is not plugged to the wall before I connect it to the Platinum.
Thanks!

May 6, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #335 of 624
I'm not sure, but I might have done exactly that :frowning2:
From now on I will make sure the smps is not plugged to the wall before I connect it to the Platinum.
Thanks!

Your welcome, hope it's ok sorry if it's not. Browse this thread @runeight and @atomicbob have posted extensively on the do's and don'ts of the amp. Particularly when it comes to power and LPS situations.

May 7, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #337 of 624
Hadn't really tried iems on this amp.

Listened to several different pairs -- UE900s, IE80, RHA-t20, 1More Triple, Sony XB90EX, Havi B3 Pro 1, Shure SE215, Nuforce Primo 8, Fiio EX-1, TFZ S2, etc...works very well with a variety of them from dynamic to hybrid to multi-BA.

Quite pleased with this little amp!

May 7, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #338 of 624
Hadn't really tried iems on this amp.

Listened to several different pairs -- UE900s, IE80, RHA-t20, 1More Triple, Sony XB90EX, Havi B3 Pro 1, Shure SE215, Nuforce Primo 8, Fiio EX-1, TFZ S2, etc...works very well with a variety of them from dynamic to hybrid to multi-BA.

Quite pleased with this little amp!

I like it too the new unit is on its way hopefully I won't have any problem with this one I really want to keep the Spark as my "portable" unit!

May 10, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #339 of 624
Just pulled the plug on a Spark. Ordered from Amazon.ca for $165cdn all in. I had been looking at the Magni3 as well but it was going to cost me more than $200cdn. I plan to use my Fiio E10k as the dac in my little chain and I'll be driving my 400i's with it. I think the 400i's sound fantastic just from the E10k, but $165 canadian dollars is a small enough hit for me to check out what some real amping might do for them...

May 10, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #340 of 624
Just pulled the plug on a Spark. Ordered from Amazon.ca for $165cdn all in. I had been looking at the Magni3 as well but it was going to cost me more than $200cdn. I plan to use my Fiio E10k as the dac in my little chain and I'll be driving my 400i's with it. I think the 400i's sound fantastic just from the E10k, but $165 canadian dollars is a small enough hit for me to check out what some real amping might do for them...

I had the 400i for a couple of days, loved the look and feel of the unit and the sound was clear and dynamic but too cold and sterile for me (not to mention it was fatiguing after a while)

May 10, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #342 of 624
Using Elex and LCD-X I found the 400i to be very revealing and powerful but at the end of the day, I still prefer the more mellow/darker sound from the Cavalli units (Spark and Platinum).
To each his own indeed! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back