Photo Dec 16, 1 37 35 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 16, 1 40 48 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 16, 1 41 03 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 16, 1 42 04 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 16, 1 45 04 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 16, 1 52 31 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 16, 1 53 11 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 16, 1 54 31 AM.jpg

Btw, does anyone know the max signal input voltage for this thing? I'm using the line out from a USB recording interface and it seems pretty hot. Just want to make sure i'm not overpowering anything.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #227 of 623
Does anyone happen to have any experience with whether this amp edges out the Atom with regard to driving planar magnetics like the T50 RP? I know there's a lot of stuff to consider like current and such. Wondering if anyone has compared their performance.

I use modded T50RP with this amp frequently (along with other orthos) and it has no trouble at all driving them well.

Truly amazing amount of goodness in this small package.

.. dB

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #230 of 623
How would I go about grounding the liquid spark, if the source is a fiio x7 mk2? Can I just connect the rca ground to ground line in my house?

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #231 of 623
How would I go about grounding the liquid spark, if the source is a fiio x7 mk2? Can I just connect the rca ground to ground line in my house?

Are you having ground noise issues? IIRC the Filo is a portable unit without its own AC receptacle ground. If this is the case and only the headphones are connected to the Spark, then there shouldn't be a need to literally earth ground the system.

Dec 19, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #232 of 623

The amp shares ground with the source, but is floated from the power supply if I understand correctly. Are you having any noise issues with your floating ground? I assume you could ground it to earth but if there's no noise there's no point

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #233 of 623
Are you having ground noise issues? IIRC the Filo is a portable unit without its own AC receptacle ground. If this is the case and only the headphones are connected to the Spark, then there shouldn't be a need to literally earth ground the system.

The amp shares ground with the source, but is floated from the power supply if I understand correctly. Are you having any noise issues with your floating ground? I assume you could ground it to earth but if there's no noise there's no point

Thank you, No no noise issues, was just beginning to wonder if it needs any grounding, since as far as I see it has none in my current setup that is Fiiox7 mk2 line out to rca to liquid spark to headphones. So basically I need not think about it unless I get some noise issues?

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #235 of 623
Thank you, No no noise issues, was just beginning to wonder if it needs any grounding, since as far as I see it has none in my current setup that is Fiiox7 mk2 line out to rca to liquid spark to headphones. So basically I need not think about it unless I get some noise issues?

Yep, there's nothing wrong with a floating/self referenced ground, it has many advantages actually. You also run the risk of introducing noise by attaching it to earth. Battery powered and floating ground is arguably the best case scenario for low noise power.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #236 of 623
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Good advice in general, but audiophile do not operate according to this one... :wink:

Dec 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #238 of 623
Thank you for all the input

Dec 19, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #239 of 623
I have had my Spark since the end of November. I absolutely love this amp. I have a heavily modded Doge 6210 tube amp, Millet Max, and a custom DIY 7n7 transformer coupled tube amp lying around here and I definitely like the Spark the best. What people say about the punchy bass, superb mids and the smooth treble .... and the overall coherency are spot on. I was going to buy the Massdrop DV 336 SE but I cancelled because I did not think the DV plus the 6xx will better the Spark with the M1060/58x. I have had that combo before and I do not remember them being anywhere near as enjoyable. So, I bought a second Spark for work.

I tried the MP M1060 headphones and the Sennheiser HD58x, Senn 6XX and my assorted Alessandro headphones with the above amps and kept rotating. I always enjoyed the Spark the most. I also absolutely love the M1060's and the Spark plays like it was made for them. The Senn 58x are also extremely A+ good with the Spark. My Alessandro's sound as good as always on the Spark.... which is great.

I have been away from headphones for several years and I could not believe all the new companies and choices. But, actually my end game seems settled already. Buy a Spark and a M1060 plus a Senn 58x and just listen to music. I think about the Massdrop CHT and the CLC amps but I find the music so very satisfying, as is, why bother? I know of no other headphone that IMO, can beat the M1060 without spending a fortune. Ditto for the Liquid Spark.

Dec 20, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #240 of 623
I have had my Spark since the end of November. I absolutely love this amp. I have a heavily modded Doge 6210 tube amp, Millet Max, and a custom DIY 7n7 transformer coupled tube amp lying around here and I definitely like the Spark the best. What people say about the punchy bass, superb mids and the smooth treble .... and the overall coherency are spot on. I was going to buy the Massdrop DV 336 SE but I cancelled because I did not think the DV plus the 6xx will better the Spark with the M1060/58x. I have had that combo before and I do not remember them being anywhere near as enjoyable. So, I bought a second Spark for work.

I tried the MP M1060 headphones and the Sennheiser HD58x, Senn 6XX and my assorted Alessandro headphones with the above amps and kept rotating. I always enjoyed the Spark the most. I also absolutely love the M1060's and the Spark plays like it was made for them. The Senn 58x are also extremely A+ good with the Spark. My Alessandro's sound as good as always on the Spark.... which is great.

I have been away from headphones for several years and I could not believe all the new companies and choices. But, actually my end game seems settled already. Buy a Spark and a M1060 plus a Senn 58x and just listen to music. I think about the Massdrop CHT and the CLC amps but I find the music so very satisfying, as is, why bother? I know of no other headphone that IMO, can beat the M1060 without spending a fortune. Ditto for the Liquid Spark.

Would this just be the difference between a solid state and tube amp? Or do they sound similar, just the Spark better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back