Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #3,871 of 5,148
Hmm. We did have a couple seconds of power outage sometime last week when a transformer blew in the neighborhood, but the amp wouldn't have been on at the time. I'm very good about turning it off when not in use; these tubes cost me a chunk of money that I don't want to waste by burning the tubes 24/7.
Yeah and the problem is if you use that switch you posted, it will totally bypass the tube warmup (this is the circuit now broken) and burn out the tubes faster. The best solution is to get the unit repaired. Maybe it is possible you had a power surge on return of power, which could have caused similar issue even with unit off.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #3,872 of 5,148
Yeah and the problem is if you use that switch you posted, it will totally bypass the tube warmup (this is the circuit now broken) and burn out the tubes faster. The best solution is to get the unit repaired. Maybe it is possible you had a power surge on return of power even if unit was off, which could have caused similar issue.
Well, I'm seeing that when I plug the amp back in, it starts the warmup process. Orange status light for 30 seconds or so before it goes white. It just does this regardless of whether or not the switch is in the On position.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #3,873 of 5,148
Well, I'm seeing that when I plug the amp back in, it starts the warmup process. Orange status light for 30 seconds or so before it goes white.
If the warmup still seems to be working (i.e. the tubes dont just come on immediately) then you can probably use one of those switches you linked above. The repair cost will probably be half of what you paid for the unit used, so if it seems to be warming up OK then this is probably a reasonable solution.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #3,874 of 5,148
Hello,
I keep hearing how well the unit works with planar headphones.
And unfortunately it is only available on Monoprice.
I saw it on Audiophonics for 1200€ which would be too expensive for me.

Is there any other shop in Europe or is it only available in America?
If so, how do the Europeans do it with the power connection?
I assume that it is designed for 115 volts and not 230 volts.
Do I need a different power supply?

I have read controversies between the original power supply and the Psu.
The original is supposed to be better.

The Liquid Platinum (and also the Liquid Gold X) use a switching mode power supply that automatically handles 100-240V and 50/60 Hz. Like a laptop power supply. The power supply also has a removable standard mains cable. So you can buy a power cord that has the right style of plug for your wall outlet.

The amps are designed for use with the power supply that comes with the amp. Aftermarket power supplies can damage the amp. Especially linear power supplies. So stick with the stock power supply.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #3,875 of 5,148
If the warmup still seems to be working (i.e. the tubes dont just come on immediately) then you can probably use one of those switches you linked above. The repair cost will probably be half of what you paid for the unit used, so if it seems to be warming up OK then this is probably a reasonable solution.
How long should it take during the warmup process before the tubes themselves start actually warming up?

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #3,876 of 5,148
I was able to get back in touch with the person that sold me the LP and he's helping me get it RMA'd, so that's great.

I have some socket savers installed that I'll need to remove before sending my amp in. Does anyone have any advice on how to remove them without damaging either the savers or the amp?

Thanks!

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #3,877 of 5,148
@dstarr3 if you cannot get it rma'd your plan to use the wall switch will be fine. What's happened, for whatever reason, is the mosfet switch which sits in standby has shorted leaving the amp on all the time. You will neither do the amp, nor the tubes any harm with your work around. A little inconvenient but totally functional.
.. dB

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #3,881 of 5,148
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #3,882 of 5,148
That's what I paid last year. Worth every penny!
I did even better. I got it for $499 in May 2020 ($549 and a $50 dollar click-on discount).

Sep 30, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #3,883 of 5,148
Just tried my DX300 with the amp 12 balanced dedicated line out with my cap modded LP with 58 Amperex BB with my Arya, it was sublime this amp never sounded this good with the node 2i or the m11 pro might use this for a while until I can grab a Musician Pegasus R2R DAC which is next on my buy list.

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #3,885 of 5,148
Anyone using this amp to drive the Susvara? I'm currently using this to drive my Arya and love the sound, but I planned on getting the Susvara soon and worry about not having enough power for it
It can drive the Susvara passably well, but not optimally, which is something I could say about several other amps in the LP's price ball park. I wouldn't count it among the very top-tier Susvara driving amps, but It could be useful as a temporary solution for the Susvara, as you look for a better performing alternative, which means, it can buy you some precious time if you need it.

In the end, it will also depend on how close you would like to get to the Susvara's optimal performance level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back