Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Sep 4, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #3,226 of 5,148
Yep... that one! And let me just say... I don't know the manufacturer... I do know they responded to me when I asked when it was gonna ship... so that's good... but, I do NOT like Communist China... and I wish more things were made in our USA. But, that being said... this LPS-36 is a good product for us LP owners!

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #3,227 of 5,148
Yep... that one! And let me just say... I don't know the manufacturer... I do know they responded to me when I asked when it was gonna ship... so that's good... but, I do NOT like Communist China... and I wish more things were made in our USA. But, that being said... this LPS-36 is a good product for us LP owners!

If you are going to recommend a product you might want to remind people that product may damage the amp

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...m-technical-measurements.894843/post-14641335

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #3,228 of 5,148
I didn't know I needed to remind people when there was nothing I had that said what you have shown me. But, the LPS-36 was made for only the LP. This is my 2nd day with it and I have had not one glitch... it is working perfectly well. It was recommended to me by another Head-Fier... so I bought it. I'll let everyone know if I run into a problem. But, your thread does not say anything about the LPS-36... it just speaks of generic linear power supply units. I would never have bought a generic LPS... even before you sent me this. But, thanks for your concern.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #3,229 of 5,148
I didn't know I needed to remind people when there was nothing I had that said what you have shown me. But, the LPS-36 was made for only the LP. This is my 2nd day with it and I have had not one glitch... it is working perfectly well. It was recommended to me by another Head-Fier... so I bought it. I'll let everyone know if I run into a problem. But, your thread does not say anything about the LPS-36... it just speaks of generic linear power supply units. I would never have bought a generic LPS... even before you sent me this. But, thanks for your concern.
It's made for the LP by who?

Here is Alex Cavalli's (designer of the amp) post recommending NOT to use the LPS-36 specifically with Liquid Platinum when he was linked to it as it may damage the amp over time:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...platinum-by-alex-cavalli.876406/post-14693400

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #3,230 of 5,148
Yep. He never specifically singled out the LPS-36 in his post. Basically a sweeping generalization of not using an LPS period.
With that said. Atomic Bob has a whole thread using various LPS with a sequence of using one properly. Because of that sequence and if not followed it will damage the amp thus not recommended by either.
It's also not recommended to use tubes with adapters. Lol.

Like @Skooks said. We appreciate your concern lol

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #3,231 of 5,148
Yep. He never specifically singled out the LPS-36 in his post. Basically a sweeping generalization of not using an LPS period.
With that said. Atomic Bob has a whole thread using various LPS with a sequence of using one properly. Because of that sequence and if not followed it will damage the amp thus not recommended by either.
It's also not recommended to use tubes with adapters. Lol.

Like @Skooks said. We appreciate your concern lol
Hey I'm fine if you want to do whatever with your amp but when the guy who engineered the amp says not to use the specific product you are using when it was showed to him because of "definite risk" of damage, it is something you should warn others of when recommending the product as they might not know.

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #3,233 of 5,148
Keeping in mind UsoppNoKami's post, I still have to recommend against using an LPS, as per earlier comments from AtomicBob and me.

One has to ask, what advantage am I getting when I use an LPS? Most of the advantage that one thinks one is getting is higher current capacity and lower noise.

On the noise issue, measurements have shown that the Plat has a very low noise floor. Not much improvement, if any, with an LPS. Certainly no audible improvement bc noise floor can't be heard.

As for current, the SMPS that mates with the Platinum can deliver much more current than the amp can ever use. It is over specified. Thus, any additional current capacity that one might get from an LPS is not useful.

The risk is that the higher current capacity is in the form of big electrolytics at the output of the LPS and lack of current limiting on startup (as already discussed). And this is exactly what you don't want dumping into the control circuit of the Platinum.

So, MHO, is that there is little, if anything, to be gained, and definite risk of damage. :smile_phones:
Lower noise and total black background is what I think I'm hearing with the LPS-36.

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #3,234 of 5,148
Keeping in mind UsoppNoKami's post, I still have to recommend against using an LPS, as per earlier comments from AtomicBob and me.

One has to ask, what advantage am I getting when I use an LPS? Most of the advantage that one thinks one is getting is higher current capacity and lower noise.

On the noise issue, measurements have shown that the Plat has a very low noise floor. Not much improvement, if any, with an LPS. Certainly no audible improvement bc noise floor can't be heard.

As for current, the SMPS that mates with the Platinum can deliver much more current than the amp can ever use. It is over specified. Thus, any additional current capacity that one might get from an LPS is not useful.

The risk is that the higher current capacity is in the form of big electrolytics at the output of the LPS and lack of current limiting on startup (as already discussed). And this is exactly what you don't want dumping into the control circuit of the Platinum.

So, MHO, is that there is little, if anything, to be gained, and definite risk of damage. :smile_phones:
Have you SPECIFICALLY tried the LPS-36 with the LP. I didn't know I was gonna raise such a firestorm, but I guarantee you that I will make reports to the community every 100 hours of use... and I will definitely tell the community how my LP is behaving with the LPS-36.
Why didn't you raise a ruckus at all of the LP owners who are using tube adaptors and risers... especially the adaptors to use tubes not specified by you???

Sep 5, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #3,235 of 5,148
Have you SPECIFICALLY tried the LPS-36 with the LP. I didn't know I was gonna raise such a firestorm, but I guarantee you that I will make reports to the community every 100 hours of use... and I will definitely tell the community how my LP is behaving with the LPS-36.
Why didn't you raise a ruckus at all of the LP owners who are using tube adaptors and risers... especially the adaptors to use tubes not specified by you???

You know you are quoting the guy who designed the amp, right? Given he engineered it he likely does not have to "try" something to know if it's a good or bad thing. I am not sure why you are putting more faith in some unknown generic brand trying to make a buck on eBay than the guy who made the amp.

Re: tubes he also did state not to use certain out of spec tubes in another post.

Also this is not a firestorm, I was just requesting a courtesy disclaimer that when you recommend a product that the designer of the amp specifically said has "definite risk" of damaging the amp that you let people know of the risk. And that way they don't get pissed at you (or Monoprice) if their amp dies in 3 months after using the LPS-36. I have no issue with your use of this product on your own equipment but if you choose to recommend it to others, folks should be informed w/ a warning so they realize the potential damage it could cause.

IIRC in atomicbobs case using a LPS eventually resulted in the tube heater control circuit being damaged and the tubes being on at all times when the amp was plugged in, even when it was switched off.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #3,236 of 5,148
I have now used the LPS-36 Linear Power Supply with the LP Headphone Amp for 100 hours.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to get anyone to buy the LPS-36, rather I am just posting my opinion of what it does for the LP according to my stock ears. I have no idea if the LP will last another 100 hours... or for a year or two or whatever. I also did not know if the good caps mod would shortcut the life of the LP, but I sure like what that mod does for the sound of the LP... how about all you who have bought that mod? I don't know the Head-Fier who does the mod... I've not personally met him or read a resume of his ability to modify an amp like the LP. I guess I took a chance... but, I sure don't lose sleep over whether my LP will make it past this day. To me, it's exciting to be able to tweak out a little more from this already good amp... and the caps mod and the LPS-36 sure does that in Spades... in my humble opinion!!

It's about like when I was a USMC aviator... why not be satisfied landing my A4 Skyhawk on an 8,000' concrete stationary runway... why have to go try to hit a moving 300' runway bobing up and down in the ocean? That's a lot more dangerous... it could have sure shortened my life span... but it sure was exciting!! But, I don't recommend you trying it... just take my word for what it did for me!

OK... now for my 100 hour report on using the LPS-36 made by a manufacturer I don't know personally... just like I didn't know Dr. Cavalli personally... just had a Head-Fier to tell me there is such a mod made specifically for the LP. So, I went to eBay and bought it. So far, I'm sure glad I did! To my ears... but maybe not to yours... the sound took on a blacker background with no noise at all. It also made a more definite focus... no fuzziness whatsoever... tight imaging with no overhang between instruments or voices. It really made an impact on the bass... very well defined. But, I also hear a little more definition on the upper end.

After listening for about 25 hours, I swapped out the tubes. What I had as my favorite before the LPS-36, is now not my favorite... so be prepared to do more tube rolling if you go for the LPS-36. Tubes are another thing that is personal... everybody has their own liking. OK... why not be satisfied with the stock tubes that came with the LP? Did Dr. Cavalli pick them out as being the very best for his LP? I have no idea.

I am really happy with the sound I now have coming from Audirvana music program on a 2018 Mac mini, going to a Topping D90 DAC, going to the LP Headphone Amp, going to Hifiman Arya Headphones, going to my ears and brain. Does that mean that Dr. Cavalli fell short in his design of the LP? Absolutely not!! I appreciate his design... and I wish he had manufactured it also. I could have lived with the LP as it was straight out of the box... a very good tube hybrid headphone amp! But, it's even better now!

Warning:
as others have said, it is most important to start up by first starting up the LPS-36, and then start up the LP. And, in shutting down, it is most important to shut down the LP first, then shut down the LPS-36.

And, I'll tell you folks a little secret... my wife wishes I would leave things alone. She says, "Honey, why can't you be satisfied with what you have?" Well, I've been married to this woman for 57 years... and I'm still trying to tweak her! I think she is better now than what she was straight out of the box! Semper Fi...😜

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #3,237 of 5,148
I have now used the LPS-36 Linear Power Supply with the LP Headphone Amp for 100 hours.

Disclaimer: I am not trying to get anyone to buy the LPS-36, rather I am just posting my opinion of what it does for the LP according to my stock ears. I have no idea if the LP will last another 100 hours... or for a year or two or whatever. I also did not know if the good caps mod would shortcut the life of the LP, but I sure like what that mod does for the sound of the LP... how about all you who have bought that mod? I don't know the Head-Fier who does the mod... I've not personally met him or read a resume of his ability to modify an amp like the LP. I guess I took a chance... but, I sure don't lose sleep over whether my LP will make it past this day. To me, it's exciting to be able to tweak out a little more from this already good amp... and the caps mod and the LPS-36 sure does that in Spades... in my humble opinion!!

It's about like when I was a USMC aviator... why not be satisfied landing my A4 Skyhawk on an 8,000' concrete stationary runway... why have to go try to hit a moving 300' runway bobing up and down in the ocean? That's a lot more dangerous... it could have sure shortened my life span... but it sure was exciting!! But, I don't recommend you trying it... just take my word for what it did for me!

OK... now for my 100 hour report on using the LPS-36 made by a manufacturer I don't know personally... just like I didn't know Dr. Cavalli personally... just had a Head-Fier to tell me there is such a mod made specifically for the LP. So, I went to eBay and bought it. So far, I'm sure glad I did! To my ears... but maybe not to yours... the sound took on a blacker background with no noise at all. It also made a more definite focus... no fuzziness whatsoever... tight imaging with no overhang between instruments or voices. It really made an impact on the bass... very well defined. But, I also hear a little more definition on the upper end.

After listening for about 25 hours, I swapped out the tubes. What I had as my favorite before the LPS-36, is now not my favorite... so be prepared to do more tube rolling if you go for the LPS-36. Tubes are another thing that is personal... everybody has their own liking. OK... why not be satisfied with the stock tubes that came with the LP? Did Dr. Cavalli pick them out as being the very best for his LP? I have no idea.

I am really happy with the sound I now have coming from Audirvana music program on a 2018 Mac mini, going to a Topping D90 DAC, going to the LP Headphone Amp, going to Hifiman Arya Headphones, going to my ears and brain. Does that mean that Dr. Cavalli fell short in his design of the LP? Absolutely not!! I appreciate his design... and I wish he had manufactured it also. I could have lived with the LP as it was straight out of the box... a very good tube hybrid headphone amp! But, it's even better now!

Warning:
as others have said, it is most important to start up by first starting up the LPS-36, and then start up the LP. And, in shutting down, it is most important to shut down the LP first, then shut down the LPS-36.

And, I'll tell you folks a little secret... my wife wishes I would leave things alone. She says, "Honey, why can't you be satisfied with what you have?" Well, I've been married to this woman for 57 years... and I'm still trying to tweak her! I think she is better now than what she was straight out of the box! Semper Fi...😜
At least you are in a position of tweaking your wife. My wife is trying to tweak me! Enjoy for liquid platinum

Sep 8, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #3,238 of 5,148
Hahahahahaha!
:beerchug:

Warning:

Sep 8, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #3,239 of 5,148
Joined LP club yesterday!

Stayed up reading the thread, into page 89 so far... just great stuff from Dr. Cavalli and the community. Thank you!

Using SE, and waiting for Drop XLR to 2.mm adapter to come in to go balanced; EarBuddy to give IEMs more room on the volume pot.

One weird thing: power cord doesn't appear to go all the way in. Seems like there's about 0.5 cm left to go in. Amp is ON and working no problem. Is this normal? Or, am I not inserting it properly?

20200908_101812.jpg

20200908_101705.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back