Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jun 6, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #2,851 of 5,148
Deleted. Posted in wrong thread.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2,852 of 5,148
Alright I was able to get one of these used on an insane deal, but I do not have a balanced preamp. My question is will I need one, or will my Atom suffice? I am sooo excited to get into the tube game and getting this amp is a huge step up for me.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #2,855 of 5,148
It all depends on your unit, and the sensitivity and impedance rating of the headphones you use on them. My LCD-X has an impedance rating of 20 ohms, and a sensitivity rating of 103 db. It performs flawlessly on the LP without generating any noise, between the 8:30 - 9:00 marks, and I do not consider myself to be an excessively loud listener...

I understand that there are some probably irregular LP units that may be less friendly to extremely efficient cans, but it is probably best to actually test your own cans on the LP you're getting before taking any action or spending any extra mullah prematurely on some. component you may not really need.

Personally. I use no pre-amp with my LP. I only use a balanced DAC which has no volume dial, and I have never heard the slightest whiff of noise from the LP in more than 18 months of almost constant use. To be fair, I probably have to mention that I am typically not one to fret obsessively with a volume dial, trying to fine-tune levels of loudness. I tend to find my comfort zones in the loudness department very quickly in any listening session, and to leave things alone. But YMMV of course.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #2,856 of 5,148
It all depends on your unit, and the sensitivity and impedance rating of the headphones you use on them. My LCD-X has an impedance rating of 20 ohms, and a sensitivity rating of 103 db. It performs flawlessly on the LP without generating any noise, between the 8:30 - 9:00 marks, and I do not consider myself to be an excessively loud listener...

I understand that there are some probably irregular LP units that may be less friendly to extremely efficient cans, but it is probably best to actually test your own cans on the LP you're getting before taking any action or spending any extra mullah, because you may not really need any extra components.

Personally. I only have a balanced DAC without a volume Dial attached to my LP, and I have never heard the slightest whiff of noise from it in more than 18 months of almost constant use.
Alright awesome, that was pretty much the last thing I was concerned about after sealing the deal on the Liquid Plat. I'll be getting the new Modius soon as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #2,857 of 5,148
Alright I have one already. But I've heard that the lack of gain can make it difficult to fine tune volume on this beast.

I find it barely usable with my very efficient 'phones (Grado GH2's and Meze 99 Classic's). I can't even get the volume to 9:00. And that is after reducing the volume on my DAC noticeably (SMSL SU-8).

Not really a problem as I have other amps, but I was a little surprised. Made me wonder what would happen if I pick up a Bifrost 2.

I should mention that I am a pretty quiet listener and rarely go over 75 Db's.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #2,858 of 5,148
Thanks to @Guidostrunk I was able to jump right to the top of probably one of the best set of tubes for the LP. Enter the 1958 CBS Hytron 5814wa's with adapters. I don't have the words to say on how these tubes totally transform the LP. To test difference in sound between stock and the 5814wa's, I decided to pair my Hifiman HEKse's with the LP. I'm also using the Hugo 2 as the DAC with a Shiit Loki in between them. Gone is the sloppy bass, congested midrange, and cloudy sound of the stock. What I'm hearing now is bass that is defined, deep, taunt, with so much slam and impact. The midrange is clean, lively and vocals sound a lot more natural with some sweetness to them. The treble has amazingly clarity and detail for days. I'm completely impressed with these tube.

These tube totally takes advantage of the hybrid design of the LP by increasing the speed of delivery, improving soundstage, imaging and instrument separation. They do this while keeping the sound musical, natural and realistic. The P.R.A.T. with these tubes is incredible with everything I threw at it. Albeit hip-hop, R&B, rock, pop, and metal the energy with these tubes is insane. I can't suggest enough to include a Loki in your setup. Have the ability to really dial in the sound and get that last percentage of greatness delivery to your headphones is worth this amazing tweak. But the tubes are the highlight of the show. Big ups to @Guidostrunk for the deal and recommendation of these tubes!
I have a personal top 21 tube list in my profile. All can be used in the LP EXCEPT # 2,4,9,10 mostly tilted to the warmth side. Tested many ECC88 all variants 60's to early 70's. Sold off all of those and have many really excellent holy grails left. The cream of the crop 50's ECC88 variants vs the cream of the crop ECC82's 50's are noticeably better than those. All IMO of course.

Jun 7, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,859 of 5,148
I have a personal top 21 tube list in my profile. All can be used in the LP EXCEPT # 2,4,9,10 mostly tilted to the warmth side. Tested many ECC88 all variants 60's to early 70's. Sold off all of those and have many really excellent holy grails left. The cream of the crop 50's ECC88 variants vs the cream of the crop ECC82's 50's are noticeably better than those. All IMO of course.
I'll have to revisit your post. I'm currently looking for a brighter tube that doesn't have a huge midbass emphasis with more treble and air. All while keeping the bass tight and punchy for the LP. I know that's a lot, but I think a tube like this would be more universal for my current list of headphones.

Jun 7, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #2,860 of 5,148
I'll have to revisit your post. I'm currently looking for a brighter tube that doesn't have a huge midbass emphasis with more treble and air. All while keeping the bass tight and punchy for the LP. I know that's a lot, but I think a tube like this would be more universal for my current list of headphones.
Think a 50's ECC82/12AU7 Brimar square getter would be great for what your asking. The HIVAC 40'S ECC82 square getter is better more refined Brimar but these are ultra, ultra rare. You have a better chance finding the Brimar ECC82.

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,861 of 5,148
Think a 50's ECC82/12AU7 Brimar square getter would be great for what your asking. The HIVAC 40'S ECC82 square getter is better more refined Brimar but these are ultra, ultra rare. You have a better chance finding the Brimar ECC82.
Thanks, I will begin my search for a pair. I really appreciate the work you and @Guidostrunk are providing to the head-fi community!

Jun 7, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,862 of 5,148
Thanks, I will begin my search for a pair. I really appreciate the work you and @Guidostrunk are providing to the head-fi community!
Make sure the Gm is over 2,000. I had to send back at least 5 various make ECC82. They were crap testing and prone to noise in the LP. Best bet to buy from the UK for Brimar. The ones you want have long plates and an angled square getter. My pairs are coded for example 5E2 believe 5 is the year E is May and 2 second week. Mine are coded 5E2/1571 small white lettering.
Here is an example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brimar-12A...720adaa5a9dd491ffe966c8|iid:1&redirect=mobile

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #2,863 of 5,148
Make sure the Gm is over 2,000. I had to send back at least 5 various make ECC82. They were crap testing and prone to noise in the LP. Best bet to buy from the UK for Brimar. The ones you want have long plates and an angled square getter. My pairs are coded for example 5E2 believe 5 is the year E is May and 2 second week. Mine are coded 5E2/1571 small white lettering.
Here is an example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brimar-12AU7-Long-Plate-2J1-Valve-Tube-eqv-ECC82-B329-CV491-CV4003-for-EL34-KT88/293565363694?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=225086&meid=33b8d8d3f63c4ab49e5de38f3c9e322e&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=none&sd=293565363694&itm=293565363694&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&brand=Brimar&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:c8dcda14-a8e7-11ea-a62e-74dbd180759e|parentrq:8fea6d711720adaa5a9dd491ffe966c8|iid:1&redirect=mobile
Thanks, there is just so many flavor of tubes that it’s hard to keep straight. Now I need to find a pair of these.

Jun 8, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #2,864 of 5,148

I understand that there are some probably irregular LP units that may be less friendly to extremely efficient cans, but it is probably best to actually test your own cans on the LP you're getting before taking any action or spending any extra mullah prematurely on some. component you may not really need.

Personally. I use no pre-amp with my LP. I only use a balanced DAC which has no volume dial, and I have never heard the slightest whiff of noise from the LP in more than 18 months of almost constant use. To be fair, I probably have to mention that I am typically not one to fret obsessively with a volume dial, trying to fine-tune levels of loudness. I tend to find my comfort zones in the loudness department very quickly in any listening session, and to leave things alone. But YMMV of course.
Correct me if I am wrong, but it will also depend on your DAC’s output voltage as well

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #2,865 of 5,148
@Slim1970 , The Brimar CV2492 fits the bill, exactly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back