Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 22, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,791 of 5,148
Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #2,792 of 5,148
I’m torn between buying the liquid Platinum + Bifrost 2

Or just getting this

https://drop.com/buy/violectric-v280-headphone-amp

And keeping my bifrost 1 + lyr

That amp is nice, but over $2,000.00 in Canuck bucks landed. Too rich for me.

The LP has dropped Again! That is a no-brainer at $500.00US. I love mine and I paid $599.00.

I was also thinking about the BF2, but the waiting is ridiculous.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #2,793 of 5,148
Gotta admit, I wasn’t thrilled when I owned this originally but at this price it has me thinking of giving another try.
No kidding, this is not a bad buy at all. The only thing that bothers me is finding a set of tubes that I like with all of different headphones.

May 22, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #2,794 of 5,148
That amp is nice, but over $2,000.00 in Canuck bucks landed. Too rich for me.

The LP has dropped Again! That is a no-brainer at $500.00US. I love mine and I paid $599.00.

I was also thinking about the BF2, but the waiting is ridiculous.

For me it would be $1200 US for the V280 from drop. Or I can get the LP for $550 through Monoprice and BF2 for $699 so around the same price I can get the better amp or a solid amp + dac. I already have the Lyr 1 + BF1 so I can supplement that with the V280 for now and upgrade DAC later. I'm not sure the Lyr 1 -> LP will be that big of an upgrade but I do have some nice tubes that would work on both. The V280 might just give me a different sound signature and I can live with the Lyr 1 as an alternate. Not sure what to do but I'm wrestling with the ideas.

May 22, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #2,795 of 5,148
For me it would be $1200 US for the V280 from drop. Or I can get the LP for $550 through Monoprice and BF2 for $699 so around the same price I can get the better amp or a solid amp + dac. I already have the Lyr 1 + BF1 so I can supplement that with the V280 for now and upgrade DAC later. I'm not sure the Lyr 1 -> LP will be that big of an upgrade but I do have some nice tubes that would work on both. The V280 might just give me a different sound signature and I can live with the Lyr 1 as an alternate. Not sure what to do but I'm wrestling with the ideas.
If you're in the US, the LP is $500.00 flat.
And the BF2 is on hold forever.

I was looking at a used Violectric that is half the price of the Drop model. But I have just bought two expensive (for me) amps and I am gun shy. However it would complete my amp collection for a long time to come. Hmmmm. :ksc75smile:

May 23, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #2,797 of 5,148
I’m torn between buying the liquid Platinum + Bifrost 2

Or just getting this

https://drop.com/buy/violectric-v280-headphone-amp

And keeping my bifrost 1 + lyr
Hey man!

I just wanted to give some input on the Vioelectric stuff. They are heavier in the bass and drown out vocals more than any other amp ive owned. I sold in favor of the Liquid Platinum.

If you like heavier bass in your sound you can go for it, but i felt like it took a lot away from the airiness and openness i look for in my music.

Cheers,

Jonathan

May 23, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #2,798 of 5,148
Hey man!

I just wanted to give some input on the Vioelectric stuff. They are heavier in the bass and drown out vocals more than any other amp ive owned. I sold in favor of the Liquid Platinum.

If you like heavier bass in your sound you can go for it, but i felt like it took a lot away from the airiness and openness i look for in my music.

Cheers,

Jonathan

That is a surprise and the first time I ever heard that. Which model did you have? What was your chain? Balanced or SE?

I have never heard anything except that it is the "bestest" SS amp ever. :relaxed: It seems to be HIGHLY recommended in the 1K to 2K category.

May 23, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #2,799 of 5,148
That is a surprise and the first time I ever heard that. Which model did you have? What was your chain? Balanced or SE?

I have never heard anything except that it is the "bestest" SS amp ever. :relaxed: It seems to be HIGHLY recommended in the 1K to 2K category.

Ive had the V280 and the V200. Its not that the amp is bad, just not my thing. Ive ran them both balanced and SE. With SMSL, Schiit, Holo Audio DACs. I know theres a couple guys in some of the headphone discords that agree with me on them been perhaps overly bass heavy

May 23, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2,800 of 5,148
Hey man!

Cheers,

Jonathan
I have the Violectric V281, and also I have the Liquid Platinum, and I love them both very dearly for what they each bring to the table. Now, from the viewpoint of my experience, and to my mind and ears, your evaluation is so wrong on so many levels that I wouldn't know where to start listing the errors, if I wanted to, which I do not at this moment. Ideally, I would say you should begin with a review of whatever other components you had in the chain when you auditioned the Violectric amp (was it the V280? I do not know how to interpret your expression "the Violectric stuff"), because it seems to me as if you never actually got to hear it, not even at a fraction of its level of optimal performance (by which I mean that the surrounding components must have compromised the sound to the point where you couldn't hear half of what the amp could do when properly fed and accessorized). It is a pity you sold it. That is all I can say.

Suffice it to say that I do not recognize anything like the sound signature of either v280 or v281 in your description, and think you should not be surprised if you get a lot of bewildered responses to your statement. With all that said, your mileage may vary, since your opinion reflects what you heard in your system, with your ears. I always respect that as a matter of principle :)

P.S : I just noticed you were referring to the V200 and V280, but "bass heavy,"? I wouldn't argue with "slightly warmer side of neutral," but I have never found my V281 to be any more "bass heavy" than my Liquid Platinum, with allowance made for variations in sound signatures arising from tube-rolling, of course. The V281 does bass very well, but I. wouldn't call it a bass head amp, if there is any such thing. Again, your headphones, your ears, and other components in the chain are always determinant, so of course, YMMV

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2,801 of 5,148
Ive had the V280 and the V200. Its not that the amp is bad, just not my thing. Ive ran them both balanced and SE. With SMSL, Schiit, Holo Audio DACs. I know theres a couple guys in some of the headphone discords that agree with me on them been perhaps overly bass heavy

That is the first time I have ever heard comments like that about Violectric. I do not dispute your opinion. I know I have been Very underwhelmed by products that are highly recommended or even "standards" in the industry (I'm lookin' at you Senn 6?? Series). Thanks for an opposing viewpoint.

I think I will dive into some research and have a look around.

May 23, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #2,802 of 5,148
I have the Violectric V281, and also I have the Liquid Platinum, and I love them both very dearly for what they each bring to the table. Now, from the viewpoint of my experience, and to my mind and ears, your evaluation is so wrong on so many levels that I wouldn't know where to start listing the errors, if I wanted to, which I do not at this moment. Ideally, I would say you should begin with a review of whatever other components you had in the chain when you auditioned the Violectric amp (was it the V280? I do not know how to interpret your expression "the Violectric stuff"), because it seems to me as if you never actually got to hear it, not even at a fraction of its level of optimal performance (by which I mean that the surrounding components must have compromised the sound to the point where you couldn't hear half of what the amp could do when properly fed and accessorized). It is a pity you sold it. That is all I can say.

Suffice it to say that I do not recognize anything like the sound signature of either v280 or v281 in your description, and think you should not be surprised if you get a lot of bewildered responses to your statement. With all that said, your mileage may vary, since your opinion reflects what you heard in your system, with your ears. I always respect that as a matter of principle :)

P.S : I just noticed you were referring to the V200 and V280, but "bass heavy,"? I wouldn't argue with "slightly warmer side of neutral," but I have never found my V281 to be any more "bass heavy" than my Liquid Platinum, with allowance made for variations in sound signatures arising from tube-rolling, of course. The V281 does bass very well, but I. wouldn't call it a bass head amp, if there is any such thing. Again, your headphones, your ears, and other components in the chain are always determinant, so of course, YMMV
Given a choice between the two which would you take:

1) Lyr + Bifrost 1 + a whole bunch of tubes ('75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields, Siemens E188CC, Mullard CV4109,Telefunken ECC88) & a V281
2) Liquid Platinum + Bifrost 2 + (all tubes above)

Second options give me a slightly better hybrid amp and a much better dac while the #1 give me the hybrid option plus a great SS amp with a lessor DAC.

May 23, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,803 of 5,148
Given a choice between the two which would you take:

1) Lyr + Bifrost 1 + a whole bunch of tubes ('75 6N23P SWGP Silver Shields, Siemens E188CC, Mullard CV4109,Telefunken ECC88) & a V281
2) Liquid Platinum + Bifrost 2 + (all tubes above)

Second options give me a slightly better hybrid amp and a much better dac while the #1 give me the hybrid option plus a great SS amp with a lessor DAC.
Ha ha. Of all the components you have listed, I have first hand familiarity with exactly one, which is the LP (along with the Telefunken and Reflektor tubes). I wouldn't want to state any opinion about the others without having heard them first. All I can say for now, though, is that you have raised the question in the right place, and I hope someone with the appropriate range of experiences would be soon here to respond to your question. I wish I had. a more helpful answer than that. Really. :)

May 23, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2,804 of 5,148
I would jump on the LP and Bifrost 2.

So, to you, it's a worthwhile combo? A nice contrast?

I have a nice tube amp that I love and the LP is the first hybrid amp I ever loved. I am thinking that I need to upgrade the SS amp and then just get the BF2 down the road.

May 23, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,805 of 5,148
After my non-related rambling, I really should talk about this amp.
I ignored it for two weeks as I used my electrostatics for a week and then went with Grado/tube amp combo. After several days with the tube combo I started to crave my LP and Sundara combo.
It really is incredible. Clean, clear sounds with solid bass. My Sundara's are my hardest to drive HP's and I can't put them much past 10:00 unless I am pulling out some old music like early pop and Motown.

Left and right are clearly spaced when the song calls for it. Guitar riffs sound great, vocals are beautiful and the drums sound solid. This will be my set-up for at least a week.:L3000:

My system has seen a ton of change in the year or two, but I can't imagine this amp ever leaving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back