Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Mar 14, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #2,581 of 5,135
How do any Arya & Empyrean users find the platinum pairs with those headphones?
Considering changing out my CTH + LPS for the platinum.

Mar 17, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #2,582 of 5,135
To follow up my previous post from a few days ago: I jumped into the fully-balanced world head first. Ordered the RME and a balanced cable not long after my last post. Got it in yesterday and have been listening a bunch. Aside from the differences the RME brings, the balanced output is actually more different than I was expecting. At first I didn't like it because it took some time for my brain to readjust to the detail overload, so to speak. A lot more spatial layering and stuff for my brain to parse out. I attached a photo to show why I've been valuing compact equipment lately. Everything fits nicely on my desktop shelf so it's like a mini-rack. Overall, I feel like I've achieved my goal of maximizing high-performance value-for-money. The RME isn't cheap, but even at retail, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth between sound, features, and size. No remorse here at all. I will say though, that the Liquid Platinum in balanced is now just making me want to hear what the Liquid Gold X is capable of.

Are you using the default tubes? I'm considering purchasing the Liquid Platinum And a new Desktop DAC. I'm currently using a Hiby R6 Pro with a Cavalli Liquid Carbon X to a balanced Astell & Kern x JH Audio Layla or Angie.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #2,583 of 5,135
Are you using the default tubes? I'm considering purchasing the Liquid Platinum And a new Desktop DAC. I'm currently using a Hiby R6 Pro with a Cavalli Liquid Carbon X to a balanced Astell & Kern x JH Audio Layla or Angie.
I wouldn't think the LP is a great choice if you're just going to drive IEMs. You'll almost certainly need volume attenuation in your system. I could barely use my Utopia directly out of the LP without attenuation. It's 104 dB/mW @ 80 Ohms. So those IEMs @ 117 dB/mW & 17 or 20 Ohms will be much more sensitive.

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #2,584 of 5,135
I wouldn't think the LP is a great choice if you're just going to drive IEMs. You'll almost certainly need volume attenuation in your system. I could barely use my Utopia directly out of the LP without attenuation. It's 104 dB/mW @ 80 Ohms. So those IEMs @ 117 dB/mW & 17 or 20 Ohms will be much more sensitive.
Noted... Can anyone else confirm if this was the case while using IEMs with the LP?

Mar 18, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #2,585 of 5,135
Noted... Can anyone else confirm if this was the case while using IEMs with the LP?
I would not even think about using iems with the LP, without a preamp.

Mar 18, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #2,586 of 5,135
Is there a thread for IEM friendly Tube/ hybrid Amp suggestions for my previously mentioned setup? I didn't want to hijack the thread. I certainly appreciate the community input.

Mar 18, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #2,587 of 5,135

Except the Audeze LCDi4, which sings like a Nightingale with the LP! No wait! some people do not think the LCDi4 is a real IEM. Ha!:)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2,588 of 5,135
Is there a thread for IEM friendly Tube/ hybrid Amp suggestions for my previously mentioned setup? I didn't want to hijack the thread. I certainly appreciate the community input.
I do not recall seeing a thread dedicated for tube amps for IEMs...
Having said that, a good bet would be looking at portable tube amps. Couple examples off the top of my head:
ALO Audio's Continental v5 (CV5) and its big brother, Continental Dual Mono (CDM)

Alternatively, go to a thread that discusses your IEMs, and ask there for recommendation for tube amps used with said IEMs by other owners.

Now... back to LP :wink:

Mar 18, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #2,589 of 5,135
Except the Audeze LCDi4, which sings like and Nightingale with the LP! No wait! some people do not think the LCDi4 is a real IEM. Ha!:)
I call that an in ear speaker. :wink: Of course there probably are some iems with high impendance and low sensitivity that would work with the LP, but overall most iems would not be a good match.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #2,590 of 5,135
Edit - nevermind, the amp I originally mentioned, is not balanced.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #2,591 of 5,135
Thank you guys. Awesome community.

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #2,592 of 5,135

Just the stock tubes. I don't use IEM's, but the RME ADI-2 I'm using with the LP has a dedicated IEM output that is supposed to be very low noise. Might be something to look at if you're a serious IEM user. You probably wouldn't even need a separate amp to be honest.

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #2,593 of 5,135
Does anyone have any experience of this Liquid Platinum vs Drops 788 THX amp?

Apr 4, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #2,595 of 5,135
Sad news to report, my LP died on me this morning. :cry: I was happily jamming out, and it just turned off, and wont come back on. The light on the power supply is green, but the LP won't come on at all. I have babied this amp, and I really am quite upset it died within the first year of owning it. Time to see how an exchange goes with Monoprice.

Side note, I put my Schiit Jotunheim in the LP's place, and what a surprise it sounds just as good as the LP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back