Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 14, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #2,026 of 5,148
I don’t mean to make you increase your budget but given your investment in headphones and amp, you might consider a more expensive DAC. The thought behind that is getting the most from your source material so that the amp and headphones let it shine.

Currently leaning towards an RME ADI-2 DAC (~$1000) - anyone think this is unadvisable or anyone got any experience of this DAC with the LP?

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #2,027 of 5,148
Currently leaning towards an RME ADI-2 DAC (~$1000) - anyone think this is unadvisable or anyone got any experience of this DAC with the LP?
I recently got the ADI-2 Pro to pair with the LP and couldn't be happier.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #2,029 of 5,148
This is currently my set-up and it is pretty phenomenal, I have to admit.

Apr 15, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #2,030 of 5,148
I have SMSL SU-8 V2 got it from Massdrop but I am using Chord Quest with LP. However I connected it with LP today running HD600/Empyrean. I would say it works well with LP. Best thing about this DAC is it has Balanced out so you can go full balanced with LP as well as you get remote for volume control which is a plus since LP doesn't have the gain so you can control volume with the DAC.

I see that you have the Empyrean but based on your signature you don't run it through the LP, is there a reason you don't prefer that configuration?

Apr 15, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #2,031 of 5,148
I am currently using Empyrean with Lyr 3. With LP it is gets loud very quickly. It is very dynamic headphone and with high gain of LP it is difficult to control it.
I have to use Qutest with 1v out and still use Sys to cut further to move volume knob of LP till 9.
I use DSP in Roon for my HD600 and 800s and I always choose LP over Lyr3 for them. The Vocals of these Cans are very good out of LP. I feel better then Lyr 3. Lower Mid has more weight in LP
However with Empyrean there is something magical with Lyr 3. The impact of Bass from Lyr 3 with those massive cups is too good to resist and Smooth treble in Empyrean out of Lyr 3 is a good combo for me. Please note I feel Lyr 3 is the smoothest sounding Schiit Amp. But LP wins over Lyr 3 when you use high impedance headphones.
I have joined the drop for THX AAA and I feel it will work well with Empyrean

Empyrean are great Cans and i can only imagine how good they would perform with V281 and Euforia.
If you have good Pre amp or DAC wth Volume control then LP will work well with Empyrean.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,032 of 5,148
Hello folks. I'd like to address the possibility that some owners are thinking of using the 4 pin XLR output as a 3 pin TRS by tying two of the pins together as a common ground.
If you are thinking about doing this DO NOT DO IT. EVER.

The balanced outputs are two floating outputs with pos and neg phases. Connecting what looks like a 3-wire common ground will short two of the outputs together, one on each channel.

This will damage the amp and possibly void warranty.

Apr 16, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2,033 of 5,148
Hello folks. I'd like to address the possibility that some owners are thinking of using the 4 pin XLR output as a 3 pin TRS by tying two of the pins together as a common ground.
If you are thinking about doing this DO NOT DO IT. EVER.

The balanced outputs are two floating outputs with pos and neg phases. Connecting what looks like a 3-wire common ground will short two of the outputs together, one on each channel.

This will damage the amp and possibly void warranty.
Thanks for the heads up. Sometime I use 6.3mm male to 4 pin XLR female adapter if the balanced output gets too hot for me and I want to use single ended output of the amp with headphone for which I only have wire termineted in 4 pin XLR. I hope there is nothing wrong in using 6.3mm to XLR adapter.

Apr 16, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #2,034 of 5,148
Thanks for the heads up. Sometime I use 6.3mm male to 4 pin XLR female adapter if the balanced output gets too hot for me and I want to use single ended output of the amp with headphone for which I only have wire termineted in 4 pin XLR. I hope there is nothing wrong in using 6.3mm to XLR adapter.

It is ok to go the other direction, SE to Bal so long as it's wired right. :smile_phones:

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #2,035 of 5,148
An enjoyable night of music, featuring the ZMF Vérité + '75 Reflektors in the Liquid Platinum, hooked up to a Schiit Freya preamp running Tung Sol BGRP VT231 and Sylvania 5692 tubes, fed by an AudioGD Master-11 Singularity

IMG_20190416_193647.jpg IMG_20190416_193629.jpg IMG_20190326_142246.jpg

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #2,036 of 5,148
An enjoyable night of music, featuring the ZMF Vérité + '75 Reflektors in the Liquid Platinum, hooked up to a Schiit Freya preamp running Tung Sol BGRP VT231 and Sylvania 5692 tubes, fed by an AudioGD Master-11 Singularity

Beautiful pics!

Shane D

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #2,037 of 5,148
I got my Liquid Platinum today, but it is DOA! The power brick has a green led that won't light up so I don't think it is the amp, just (hopefully) the power supply. Monoprice will only RMA the entire package and will not send another power brick. I'd rather not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Can anyone recommend a replacement? ...from a site with decently fast shipping

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,038 of 5,148
I got my Liquid Platinum today, but it is DOA! The power brick has a green led that won't light up so I don't think it is the amp, just (hopefully) the power supply. Monoprice will only RMA the entire package and will not send another power brick. I'd rather not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Can anyone recommend a replacement? ...from a site with decently fast shipping
You don't want to do that. If you look back through this thread, you'll see a lot of discussion regarding swapping in an LPS. @runeight was very clear that the power brick which ships with LP is an integral part of the system and shouldn't be replaced. Apparently it has an important role in the protection process the amp does during power up.

Apr 17, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #2,039 of 5,148
Your point is well taken as I combed through that discussion before posting. I was hoping to use a switching power supply with the same voltage and amperage characteristics. It looks like I'll be RMA'ing the whole thing. Thanks!

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #2,040 of 5,148
Your point is well taken as I combed through that discussion before posting. I was hoping to use a switching power supply with the same voltage and amperage characteristics. It looks like I'll be RMA'ing the whole thing. Thanks!

This is a real PITA, I know. I am surprised though bc I know how these things are tested. A dead brick should never get through the process. It's just too difficult.

Hmmmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back