Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jan 5, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #1,096 of 5,148
The pots on all the CA amps are audio (log) taper. I think this would be true on almost any amp I know about. I am surprised to hear of an amp that was using a linear pot unless it was in an atypical configuration.

The real issue is that the sources are very hot and the headphones (for the most part) are very sensitive. I wrote a long scree about this on another forum. :)

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #1,097 of 5,148
Appears Monoprice just jacked the price on this amp by 15%! Now around $800.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #1,098 of 5,148
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am familiar with the "scree". Yet, I own several headphone amps designed by other pre-eminent designers like yourself and there is no volume control issue of this kind on any of them with the same sources. Just saying ... :)

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #1,099 of 5,148
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am familiar with the "scree". Yet, I own several headphone amps designed by other pre-eminent designers like yourself and there is no volume control issue of this kind on any of them with the same sources. Just saying ... :)

Say all you want bc also true. I am working on this...

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #1,100 of 5,148
Appears Monoprice just jacked the price on this amp by 15%! Now around $800.
Oh luckily I got it for around $600 with eBay Offer with free shipping

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,101 of 5,148
Keeping in mind UsoppNoKami's post, I still have to recommend against using an LPS, as per earlier comments from AtomicBob and me.

One has to ask, what advantage am I getting when I use an LPS? Most of the advantage that one thinks one is getting is higher current capacity and lower noise.

On the noise issue, measurements have shown that the Plat has a very low noise floor. Not much improvement, if any, with an LPS. Certainly no audible improvement bc noise floor can't be heard.

As for current, the SMPS that mates with the Platinum can deliver much more current than the amp can ever use. It is over specified. Thus, any additional current capacity that one might get from an LPS is not useful.

The risk is that the higher current capacity is in the form of big electrolytics at the output of the LPS and lack of current limiting on startup (as already discussed). And this is exactly what you don't want dumping into the control circuit of the Platinum.

So, MHO, is that there is little, if anything, to be gained, and definite risk of damage. :smile_phones:

One hopes your advice would be definitive & would lay to rest the idea that one must invest in an LPS.

But audio nervosa being what it is, this seems unlikely...

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #1,103 of 5,148
Just to add a datapoint, I'm running a Denafrips Pontus balanced into the LP (spec says 4Vrms @ 1250 Ohms). I have to set the LP pot quite low when listening to Utopia (say 7:00 to 8:30) but experience no channel imbalance.

By comparison, Yggy spec says 4Vrms @75 Ohms.
Well, guess I’m wrong. I was listening in bed last night — wanted some quiet music, and ran into imbalance when turning down Utopia. Note that the bottom ‘stop’ on the volume pot is about 7:00. Channel imbalance happened until close to 8:00. Luckily it goes away almost immediately at that point. However, I would have turned it down a bit more, but for the imbalance.

Gonna have to buy a passive preamp as my Nervosa is preventing me from enjoying my system w/ my active Emotiva in the chain.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,105 of 5,148
Well, guess I’m wrong. I was listening in bed last night — wanted some quiet music, and ran into imbalance when turning down Utopia. Note that the bottom ‘stop’ on the volume pot is about 7:00. Channel imbalance happened until close to 8:00. Luckily it goes away almost immediately at that point. However, I would have turned it down a bit more, but for the imbalance.

Gonna have to buy a passive preamp as my Nervosa is preventing me from enjoying my system w/ my active Emotiva in the chain.

This channel balance thing is really bugging me. May I ask what your source is? Are you going Bal in or RCA in? How are the Emotive speakers in the chain?

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #1,106 of 5,148
This channel balance thing is really bugging me. May I ask what your source is? Are you going Bal in or RCA in?...
Here’s my original post on the channel imbalance subject.
Just to add a datapoint, I'm running a Denafrips Pontus balanced into the LP (spec says 4Vrms @ 1250 Ohms). I have to set the LP pot quite low when listening to Utopia (say 7:00 to 8:30) but experience no channel imbalance.

By comparison, Yggy spec says 4Vrms @75 Ohms.
Note that this post was in error— should say:
(Pontus) spec says 4.4 Vrms @ 1250 Ohms
…How are the Emotive speakers in the chain?...
Sorry I wasn’t clear — Emotiva XSP-1 preamp. Chain is fully balanced.

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #1,107 of 5,148
Here’s my original post on the channel imbalance subject.

Note that this post was in error— should say:

Sorry I wasn’t clear — Emotiva XSP-1 preamp. Chain is fully balanced.

Thanks. And you have the preamp vol set at 0, which should equal a gain of 1X from the preamp??

Jan 5, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #1,108 of 5,148
Thanks. And you have the preamp vol set at 0, which should equal a gain of 1X from the preamp??
Sorry, again, guess I wasn’t clear. The imbalance I experienced was with the Pontus balanced out directly connected to the balanced inputs on the LP. There is no volume control on the Pontus.

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,110 of 5,148

After 3 Posts your on here dissing the Designer, possibly you know what you’re talking about, or you’re simply a troll. Why don’t you give it a rest, develop a bit more of an identity, presence, and gravitas before tossing grenades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back