Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 21, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #976 of 5,148
That's what I was saying too man, amazing right out of the box. Cool to hear it bests your mj I have not heard one of those!

5 year warranty upped from 1 year!
No report of a mishandled broken LP from Monoprice yet ? I'm a bit nervous until I see a refund or a new one sent to me. Can they find some excuse not to replace or refund ?

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #977 of 5,148
This is good to hear, as I am seriously considering picking up some used Oris, would be my first ZMF cans. Still liking this pairing? Anyone else with Oris and the LP able to chime in?

For what it's worth, I bought an ormosia henryi Ori a couple years ago & love that headphone to pieces. It does need power, but I have 4 amps (2 balanced, 2 SE) that can give it all it needs. Regardless, I'm also jonesing for a Platinum, for 2 reasons:
  • Based on the incredibly high sonic value-to-price ratio of the Liquid Carbon (v2), I'm very curious about the sound quality coming from another Cavalli design, the Platinum; and
  • I keep hearing how certain headphones that really matter to me, planars & dynamics, are sounding really above & beyond on the Platinum.
I have so little space on this desktop, but am scheming how to open up some to fit a Platinum.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #979 of 5,148
I don't believe that any US company can do that.
Ok great ! Because I know of NO other amp bellow the 3-4K$ thatI would want. For the 4 days I had it, it was magic, and even spent whole nights without sleep listening to it. Magic. This explains my disappointment after it failed, it was sooooo good and now gone. I pray that the next one will work properly !

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #980 of 5,148
I have so little space on this desktop, but am scheming how to open up some to fit a Platinum.
Haha - I am in the exact same situation!
Too many amps. Too little desk space...

Dec 21, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #981 of 5,148
I’m absolutely loving my LP, my Clear is being replaced, but the LP In balanced mode is driving my Abyss 1266 remarkably well. It’s been several years since I listened to Dan Clark’s Crimson at one of the Nashville Meets, but the LP is checking all of the same boxes.

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #982 of 5,148
Ok great ! Because I know of NO other amp bellow the 3-4K$ thatI would want. For the 4 days I had it, it was magic, and even spent whole nights without sleep listening to it. Magic. This explains my disappointment after it failed, it was sooooo good and now gone. I pray that the next one will work properly !

Relax man, things have failure rates that's life. Monoprice has a good reputation and it's covered for 5 years anyway. Hopefully you'll get a good unit like most have been so far, like your first one should have been.

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #983 of 5,148
IMG_20181219_231116.jpg

Quad ERA-1 + Liquid Platinum = excellent pairing

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #984 of 5,148
@runeight I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to yet after searching everywhere. Are there variants (or "close enough" substitutes) of the 6DJ8/6922/7308 tubes that can be used with the Liquid Platinum?

Specifically, I'm wondering about 7DJ8/PCC88 tubes. Based on my research it seems that the only difference between the 7DJ8 vs. 6DJ8 is the heater voltage (7V vs 6.3V), and that in most other audio products it's okay to substitute in the 7DJ8 instead of the 6DJ8. Would this be the case for the Liquid Platinum?

Thank you, and thanks for working with Monoprice to bring us this fantastic sounding amp!

Dec 22, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #985 of 5,148
@runeight I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to yet after searching everywhere. Are there variants (or "close enough" substitutes) of the 6DJ8/6922/7308 tubes that can be used with the Liquid Platinum?

Specifically, I'm wondering about 7DJ8/PCC88 tubes. Based on my research it seems that the only difference between the 7DJ8 vs. 6DJ8 is the heater voltage (7V vs 6.3V), and that in most other audio products it's okay to substitute in the 7DJ8 instead of the 6DJ8. Would this be the case for the Liquid Platinum?

Thank you, and thanks for working with Monoprice to bring us this fantastic sounding amp!

7DJ8 will be running 1V low on its heaters which will cause the cathode to run cooler which will reduce its emission. It may not give a good result. I'm not sure how this sub can be used in other products without significantly affecting the sound unless there is some internal compensation built in to the product. But I know that people are doing it.

I can only recommend that you all stay with 6922 or exact equivalents. :o2smile:

Dec 23, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #986 of 5,148
7DJ8 will be running 1V low on its heaters which will cause the cathode to run cooler which will reduce its emission. It may not give a good result. I'm not sure how this sub can be used in other products without significantly affecting the sound unless there is some internal compensation built in to the product. But I know that people are doing it.

I can only recommend that you all stay with 6922 or exact equivalents. :o2smile:

Thanks for the reply Alex! Now I know to just focus on the 6DJ8 family, and not be tempted by these other things which can be quite a bit cheaper. :beyersmile:

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #987 of 5,148
Last Christmas I gave you my heart...and we all know how that turned out :triportsad:
So this Christmas I bought myself the LP, and am much happier! :ksc75smile:
This may have already popped up on here but it bears repeating: the instructions say to use the balanced connection if at all possible, however, even SE with my Elegia, I am getting very enjoyable results- tight bass, incredible detail coming through, and more soundstage than is really expected on a closed hp.
Can't wait to receive my balanced cable for my LCD-4z's to get a real impression of what they can do on this sweet amp. So far my fav hp's on the LP are definitely the T1's. Probably not the best pair I own overall, but they are just so sweet on the LP that I can listen forever and keep coming back to them.

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #988 of 5,148
The LP handles the Abyss 1266 quite well, the Decemberists are performing for me, the bass impact and inky black background are wonderful.

To all of you on the Thread, have a Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #989 of 5,148
Arya just got here in time for Christmas, sounds great on the LP :)

Have a blessed & Merry Christmas folks!

IMG_20181225_165848.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back