Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Dec 10, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #856 of 5,148
this amp looks so cool, I have to buy it. I currently own Beyer T1 + Focal Utopias and ordered a Meze Empyrean. At the moment I use the T1 with the Beyer A2 and the Utopias with a Bryston BHA-1. You think this amp would be a good fit for the Empyreans?

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #857 of 5,148
many thanks....i was reading a review 'enjoy the music' (below) and it had suggested swapping out the power supply, hence my query.
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1018/Monoprice_Monolith_Liquid_Platinum_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

excerpt: ''The treble is very clear for the price, but not entirely grain-free, if I'm holding it up against the very highest standards. I think this is another area where the Platinum would be helped out greatly by a dedicated linear power supply instead of the SMPS. I can't help but feel this is an amp that still has a lot more to offer in terms of scalability, as every time I run into a minor quibble, it seems to trace back to the power. One can't say for certain without testing, but for someone like me who tends to experiment a lot with such things, this seems like a fairly obvious place to start if I want to try and upgrade the sound of the basic unit.''

I wrote that review. I feel like I’ve already added a ton of context around those comments throughout this thread.

I wouldn’t worry about the power supply too much. It sounds really good with the SMPS, and Bob’s measurements indicate very solid performance from it. Nobody has really posted any LPS sonic impressions, so I’m not entirely sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Getting a good pair of tubes in there helps a lot, even though the stock tubes are pretty decent. I got some better tubes since the first time I had it and I heard the potential that I knew was there from the start, if you look a couple posts back.

Also realize that when I say, “Holding it up to the highest standards,” it is sitting on a table next to a couple $5K amps. I reviewed it in light of its direct relation to the Crimson, which, in some cases means treating it like it costs $3K - I realize that is unfair in some ways to the $699 Platinum, but I wouldn’t treat it with this kind of respect if it wasn’t so damn good. It deserves to be measured against the best, because there’s nothing to talk about if you try to compare it to most amps in its actual price range. It simply smokes them.

I hope that additional context helps. Let me know if you need additional clarification.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #858 of 5,148
this amp looks so cool, I have to buy it. I currently own Beyer T1 + Focal Utopias and ordered a Meze Empyrean. At the moment I use the T1 with the Beyer A2 and the Utopias with a Bryston BHA-1. You think this amp would be a good fit for the Empyreans?

YES. It’s going to be awesome with the Empyrean. That’s a great headphone.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #859 of 5,148
Hmmm, seems like I've heard this before... Oh yea! :wink:

A bunch of people heard the Verite & Platinum combo at the meet today too, it was a huge hit.

I’m in love with the bass out of that combo!

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #860 of 5,148
I wrote that review. I feel like I’ve already added a ton of context around those comments throughout this thread.

I wouldn’t worry about the power supply too much. It sounds really good with the SMPS, and Bob’s measurements indicate very solid performance from it. Nobody has really posted any LPS sonic impressions, so I’m not entirely sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Getting a good pair of tubes in there helps a lot, even though the stock tubes are pretty decent. I got some better tubes since the first time I had it and I heard the potential that I knew was there from the start, if you look a couple posts back.

Also realize that when I say, “Holding it up to the highest standards,” it is sitting on a table next to a couple $5K amps. I reviewed it in light of its direct relation to the Crimson, which, in some cases means treating it like it costs $3K - I realize that is unfair in some ways to the $699 Platinum, but I wouldn’t treat it with this kind of respect if it wasn’t so damn good. It deserves to be measured against the best, because there’s nothing to talk about if you try to compare it to most amps in its actual price range. It simply smokes them.

I hope that additional context helps. Let me know if you need additional clarification.

Thank you for clarifying....my bad...I didn’t read the thread from start to finish yet (getting there)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #863 of 5,148
So I have some JJ gold pins that have about 40 hours on them in my valhalla 2. Anyone hear them in the LP yet ? I'm closing in on 40 hours on the LP with EH tubes. Probably won't mess with it until the holiday break. Anyone comment on the difference between gold lions the JJ's and the stock by chance ?

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #866 of 5,148
So I have some JJ gold pins that have about 40 hours on them in my valhalla 2. Anyone hear them in the LP yet ? I'm closing in on 40 hours on the LP with EH tubes. Probably won't mess with it until the holiday break. Anyone comment on the difference between gold lions the JJ's and the stock by chance ?
Genalex Gold Pins vs stock here. GLs are a significant improvement -- more bass, a little more sound stage, a little softer in the treble region (which is a good thing with my Utopia and Auteur, not so much with my planars). In all, to my ears on my equipment, well worth the $70 I spent (15% off ebay deal) since my number one goal with LP was to improve sound from Utopia. From GLs, both Utopia & Auteur produce wonderful bass.

Now I'm looking for a pair for my planars (don't need bass boost, want more treble energy, overall impact). Considering NOS Siemens and Amperex ... $$$ :triportsad:

Hope that helps.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #867 of 5,148
Genalex Gold Pins vs stock here. GLs are a significant improvement -- more bass, a little more sound stage, a little softer in the treble region (which is a good thing with my Utopia and Auteur, not so much with my planars). In all, to my ears on my equipment, well worth the $70 I spent (15% off ebay deal) since my number one goal with LP was to improve sound from Utopia. From GLs, both Utopia & Auteur produce wonderful bass.

Now I'm looking for a pair for my planars (don't need bass boost, want more treble energy, overall impact). Considering NOS Siemens and Amperex ... $$$ :triportsad:

Hope that helps.

Using HD6xx and HD600 here. I'll try the JJ gold's once burn in is complete. Don't like spending more than $50 for tubes. Might have to try the gold lions though.

Dec 10, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #868 of 5,148
My LP arrived today ! Paired with a NAD M51, absolutely glorious and gorgeous lush sound !!!!!
Gives all my cans great body with plenty of details !!!

Denon 7200
HD800S
Alpha Prime

So musical !

Still have to hear the LP with my LCD3, Nightowl, and HD58X.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #870 of 5,148
i always enjoy Paul McGowans's channel on youtube.
aside from being so knowledgeable on audio issues,
he can also be hillarious to watch, too, and sometimes comes across as a bit goofy
(in a very endearing way) when he describes personal experiences with illustration.

my bud went balanced...i didn't understand the 'whys' so much.
but this video helped out.
hope it's equally helpful to others.

as a side note PS Audio is designing 3 series of speakers that should be out next fall.
the 3 price ranges i was told via email (nothing set in stone just yet, still in development)
from $20-30k, $50-70k and then $80-100k-ish.
man they must be SWEET to listen to.

you see see the 'listening room' series they have on their site:
in house massive 7ft speakers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back