Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #46 of 5,148
I'm very very excited about this amp.

About the only thought I have is that the recessed tubes are rather painful to get tubes in/out.
I never had any issues getting tubes out of my Vali 2 or Valhalla 2. Wouldn't say it was any more difficult than other tube amps I've used.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #47 of 5,148
Going to be VERY interesting once people start comparing this one to the Schiit Lyr3.
I know Lyr3 is NOT balanced, but still...
I am literally going to hold off on the Lyr3 until this one comes out (or at least until reputable reviewers I trust start comparing them) :wink:

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #49 of 5,148
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #51 of 5,148
Here's the board that was just at CanJam.
platinum 2018.jpg

Apr 20, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #52 of 5,148
Maybe this is a dumb question, but can't you use 12V and 24V iFi iPower in series to power the Liquid Platinum? It seems plausible theoretically, but I don't know if its practical or not.

EDIT: I can't find any 24V iPower, so maybe 3 units of 12V/1.8A then?

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #53 of 5,148
Maybe this is a dumb question, but can't you use 12V and 24V iFi iPower in series to power the Liquid Platinum? It seems plausible theoretically, but I don't know if its practical or not.

I can't say that it won't work, I just suggest that you be really careful what you do. Do not exceed 36.5V under any circumstances.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #54 of 5,148
There are quite a few old school linear power supplies that can be had for under $100 at the required ratings.

Power Designs Model 5015T and HP/Agilent/Keysight 6289A are excellent choices, for example (there are many more as well).

For marginally more DIY requirements, you can also make a best offer for an Acopian A36MT230 for less than $100.

Really, there are quite a few options. You can find some decent LPSUs from overseas at the required ratings (you'll likely need to ping them via eBay to get something at 36V), but I'm personally inclined toward the vintage regulated power supplies and happen to own 3 of them right now.

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #55 of 5,148

iPower only goes up to 15V and DC iPurifier can handle max 24V. Chaining them together may not work and might be unsafe above 24V/3.5A.

You'd think a standard IEC plug would be a better solution at 36V but perhaps too noisy.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #56 of 5,148
iPower only goes up to 15V and DC iPurifier can handle max 24V. Chaining them together may not work and might be unsafe above 24V/3.5A.

You'd think a standard IEC plug would be a better solution at 36V but perhaps too noisy.
That's not what I said though. I never mentioned anything about DC iPurifier. I don't know how they do it but I've seen people running 3 units of Uptone LPS-1 in series, I can't see why you can't do that with iPower.

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #57 of 5,148
The iFi DC iPurifier and UpTone LPS-1 are completely different products. The iFi is a noise filter. The UpTone is a power supply.

It's possible to run some power supplies in series to increase voltage output or in parallel to increase current. The UpTone can be used in series to increase voltage. Multiple LPS-1s would be a massive waste of money. You're into modern lab power supply price territory and they're probably way better... Just an opinion though.

If you can fry the iFi above 24V, adding more filtration won't unfry the first unit. You'd have to contact iFi to see what they think, but I imagine if it could be rated for 36V it would be.

One other possibility if the Liquid Platinum's SMPS responds well to reactive loads is the @atomicbob Noise Nuke. It's a great, inexpensive project and works really well for certain power supplies.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #58 of 5,148
One other possibility if the Liquid Platinum's SMPS responds well to reactive loads is the @atomicbob Noise Nuke. It's a great, inexpensive project and works really well for certain power supplies.
It certainly is interesting! I can see that you also built one with a nice case. May I know where did you buy the case? I'm pretty intrigued to build one myself.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #60 of 5,148
Was looking for a 36v LPS myself thinking IF will be going this route. So far only ZeroZone (CN lps maker) say they can do it in 36v. Didn't gave me a price though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back