Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 5, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #16 of 5,135
Looks like amp manufacturers got the formidable competitor. I will postpone all serious amp purchases until July, not riding on Schiit hype train for now.

Hope Cavalli lines at Massdrop and Monoprice become gate keepers at each price segment.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #17 of 5,135
Not two CTHs, it’s a balanced version of the Liquid Crimson, which is a totally different design. The other Cavalli products based on that fundamental design are EHHA, Liquid Fire, Liquid Crimson and Liquid Carbon. Platinum is closest to the Crimson, for sure, which many people felt was Alex’s best amp. I owned one for about a year and it was phenomenal.

Thanks for the clarify, wait them start shipping.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 5,135
I've been lusting over Liquid Crimson for a while now but couldn't afford it due to its $3000 price tag. But if you tell me that there is a balanced version of Liquid Crimson, small form-factor but double the circuit and tubes but at a fraction of the price, I would outright telling you to stop BS-ing me. I mean April fools was over a week ago. But this is Monoprice and people are already hyping it up over at the other forums that-shall-not-be-named. I guess the use of SMD components instead of THT components and the external SMPS (laptop?) power brick instead of internal linear power supply on the original LC contributed to the smaller form-factor but I'm skeptical whether it can retain the cleanliness of the LC output. I think lots of people will end up buying an external LPS that could cost them more than they paid for the Liquid Platinum itself:darthsmile:.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 5,135
Hmmm. I recently picked up a Massdrop CTH but this is interesting. I'm actually hoping this will lead to a Liquid Ambience as well, since the board was previewed along with the Platinum last year. I'm more of a single-ended guy. Not using the balanced of the Plantinum might be a waste. I'd love to see a relatively affordable rendition of the single-ended, embedded-hybrid design.

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #20 of 5,135
Hmmm. I recently picked up a Massdrop CTH but this is interesting. I'm actually hoping this will lead to a Liquid Ambience as well, since the board was previewed along with the Platinum last year. I'm more of a single-ended guy. Not using the balanced of the Plantinum might be a waste. I'd love to see a relatively affordable rendition of the single-ended, embedded-hybrid design.

It’s not a waste, believe me. I ran it single-ended from the Hugo 2, and it was definitely impressive.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #21 of 5,135
It’s not a waste, believe me. I ran it single-ended from the Hugo 2, and it was definitely impressive.
Good to know. I'm using the Mojo right now with CTH right now while I'm waiting on my Chord Qutest to arrive. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this. Although, I prefer the chassis aesthetics of the Massdrop unit to be honest.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #22 of 5,135
This fits nicely in that chassis :wink:

9923047.jpg

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #26 of 5,135
You and I are of the same mind regarding balanced. Without an SE offering, I just might have to pull the trigger on the Lyr 3, or a second MCTH.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #27 of 5,135
Massdrop has one as well. Monoprice and Massdrop are changing the game.

Massdrop is just a THX AMP. The Monoprice offering is a AMP/DAC combo.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #29 of 5,135
You and I are of the same mind regarding balanced. Without an SE offering, I just might have to pull the trigger on the Lyr 3, or a second MCTH.

FYI guys, you can run the Liquid Platinum with any of the following:

1. Balanced input to balanced output
2. Balanced input to SE output
3. SE input to SE output
4. SE input to balanced output

The Platinum contains a phase splitter that will allow you to utilize all 4 amps in balanced mode, regardless of the type of input you use. So no need to worry about being nerfed by an SE source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back