Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Jul 10, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #3,841 of 5,148
Jul 10, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #3,842 of 5,148
Would these be a good example of what's being talked about here?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Strong-M...uare-D-Getter-12AU7-ECC82-Tubes-/114811245818

Also I already have socket savers installed. Is there any reason to not stack an adapter on top of a socket saver?
Yes. However, I purchased a similar matched pair from that seller and it was noisy AF in my LP, even after letting them sit there for more than 30mins. The seller does accept returns, but was pretty uppity about it. I've had better luck from sellers who not only tested them on their tube analyzers to make sure that the tubes were matched but also tested them on in their monoblock amps to ensure that the tube pair was noise free. Still, in my experience, advertised matched pairs that I bought on ebay rarely turned out to be noisy (3 out of 20 or so). Just make sure that the seller accepts returns. Also, pay by paypal if possible since paypal adds further protections for the buyer. Personally, I hate returning tubes but if I spent $60 for a matched pair that should work on my system but didn't, then I'm returning them. If I spent $20 on a pair, and felt that I got a good deal but they didn't work on my LP, then I'd chuck them on my CTH (e.g. received a noisy raytheon 12AU7 O-getter/black plate matched pair from tubemaze's ebay store for $20).

As for stacking an adapter on top of a socket saver, why not? In my case, the tubemonger socket savers for 6922's are wedged in there pretty good (req's a locking plier to get them out), so I just leave them in there unless I need to open up the LP for servicing or modding.

gTFORWk.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #3,843 of 5,148
Brimar CV-2492 if you don't want to go to 12AU7 adapters. Definitely the most open/airy headstage I've heard from my LP w/ 6922 family tubes.

Here's an example (I know nothing of this seller, just wanted to show exact item):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384187285919?epid=26032766243&hash=item597358c19f:g:aWsAAOSwD5Zgrgry

But if you want more options and more opinions, dive into this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/liquid-platinum-tube-rollers.898852/unread

Nearly 1600 posts, and at least 2 strong opinions :)

I'm sorry, I'm still very tube-stupid. Would this be a good example of Brimar CV2492s to buy?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313432138491

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #3,846 of 5,148
You can trust this seller imo, bought from him before guys.
Funny - this seller has 44 listings, each and every one is described as "Unique: ..... " :laughing:

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #3,848 of 5,148
I'm sorry, I'm still very tube-stupid. Would this be a good example of Brimar CV2492s to buy?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313432138491
I haven't tried any which look like that. Both sets I purchased were these:
The KB/AD is some 'secret' code which IIRC identifies which factory and what build date. Both sets I have are KB/AD.

BTW, most folks dismiss the whole 'cryo-treated' thing as snake oil, while a minority think it sprinkles the tubes with magic pixie dust :) One of my pairs of 2492s is cryo-treated while the other isn't. I can't hear any difference, although one of the claimed benefits is longer life, so who knows?

@dstarr3 -- Lots of knowledge/expertise over on the LP tube rolling thread. Someone there might be able to tell you more about the tubes you posted:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/liquid-platinum-tube-rollers.898852/

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,849 of 5,148
I haven't tried any which look like that. Both sets I purchased were these:

The KB/AD is some 'secret' code which IIRC identifies which factory and what build date. Both sets I have are KB/AD.

BTW, most folks dismiss the whole 'cryo-treated' thing as snake oil, while a minority think it sprinkles the tubes with magic pixie dust :) One of my pairs of 2492s is cryo-treated while the other isn't. I can't hear any difference, although one of the claimed benefits is longer life, so who knows?

@dstarr3 -- Lots of knowledge/expertise over on the LP tube rolling thread. Someone there might be able to tell you more about the tubes you posted:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/liquid-platinum-tube-rollers.898852/
KB/AD = STC Rochester plant.

I don't believe in the cryo crap either. Lol.

If you want the best out of the LP regarding tubes. Adapters with 12au7 variants is it.

Jul 19, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #3,850 of 5,148
Well, my ultimate goal is getting the maximum soundstage out of my K702. The CV2492s the first recommendation I received, so I just ran with it. If there are some other tubes that can be run with adapters that will get me even wider, more open soundstage than the CV2492s, I'd love to put those on my list, too.

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #3,851 of 5,148
KB/AD = STC Rochester plant.

I don't believe in the cryo crap either. Lol.

If you want the best out of the LP regarding tubes. Adapters with 12au7 variants is it.
I've been running 12au7 family tubes in (one of) my LPs for a while now. Really a lot of good options out there. I've got some fly lead CV-4034s (and adapters for the fly leads) coming in a couple weeks. Hoping for magic :)

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #3,852 of 5,148
I just noticed my tubes are glowing and warmed up. But... the amp is off?

The power button is in the off position, the volume is turned all the way down, there's no headphones connected, and the DAC that I have the amp connected to is currently powered off, as well.

And yet the tubes are still warm? I'd swear the tubes cooled down when the amp was off. Am I mistaken or is something wrong?

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #3,853 of 5,148
I just noticed my tubes are glowing and warmed up. But... the amp is off?

The power button is in the off position, the volume is turned all the way down, there's no headphones connected, and the DAC that I have the amp connected to is currently powered off, as well.

And yet the tubes are still warm? I'd swear the tubes cooled down when the amp was off. Am I mistaken or is something wrong?
Doesn't sound right to me. When I want to swap tubes, I turn the amp off and wait a while, then the tubes are cold -- well, cool at least as I'm not the most patient guy.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #3,854 of 5,148
Hello,
I keep hearing how well the unit works with planar headphones.
And unfortunately it is only available on Monoprice.
I saw it on Audiophonics for 1200€ which would be too expensive for me.

Is there any other shop in Europe or is it only available in America?
If so, how do the Europeans do it with the power connection?
I assume that it is designed for 115 volts and not 230 volts.
Do I need a different power supply?

I have read controversies between the original power supply and the Psu.
The original is supposed to be better.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #3,855 of 5,148
Doesn't sound right to me. When I want to swap tubes, I turn the amp off and wait a while, then the tubes are cold -- well, cool at least as I'm not the most patient guy.

Yeah, I just physically unplugged the power cable and the tubes cooled down enough to stop glowing in 5'ish seconds. Sooooo something is up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back