Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
May 29, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #2,822 of 5,148
When is the Liquid Gold being released by Monoprice?
The million dollar question. :wink: I will be buying one for sure, if and when they get released.

May 29, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #2,823 of 5,148
The million dollar question. :wink: I will be buying one for sure, if and when they get released.
The date for the Liquid Gold X (and the Liquid Platinum DAC) was just pushed back once again to 7/10. My interest in the LGX is only academic ATM (I just got the LP this week) but I am planning to get a new DAC shortly was intrigued by the balanced DAC which (at $500) would be (I think) the cheapest DAC using the new AKM 4499 chip. But it's extremely unlikely that it will be available on 7/10 and I'd wager no time soon.

May 29, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #2,824 of 5,148
My view is from a different peak.

The LP is not a Crimson or Gold, (obviously) and I would not think about what it once cost, or what its stablemates once cost, when judging it today. Yesterday is just of historical interest. Now, years after it was first put on the market, the LP is $500 "new," and has been for a pretty long time. That $500 buys an audio component that is highly capable and holds its own against other HP amps. Its tubes are plentiful and do not cost more than my car. (I don't have a car, but you know what I mean)

Not everyone likes the LP, that's cool; it could use a better power supply but...

"Well done, Dr. C."

All the best

Of course, the LP isn't really a $500 amp since it is not only closely based on a roughly $3K amp from a boutique seller with a few corners cut, but originally sold for $700-800; the latter is still listed as the MSRP. I'm sure economies of scale, since Monoprice undoubtedly sold vastly more of these than Cavalli Audio ever did or could, and savings from Chinese manufacture, figure prominently too. Why it is so cheap ATM, or whether the price cut is temporary or not, only Monoprice knows.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2,825 of 5,148
My view is from a different peak.

The LP is not a Crimson or Gold, (obviously) and I would not think about what it once cost, or what its stablemates once cost, when judging it today. Yesterday is just of historical interest. Now, years after it was first put on the market, the LP is $500 "new," and has been for a pretty long time. That $500 buys an audio component that is highly capable and holds its own against other HP amps. Its tubes are plentiful and do not cost more than my car. (I don't have a car, but you know what I mean)

Not everyone likes the LP, that's cool; it could use a better power supply but...

"Well done, Dr. C."

All the best
The power supply upgrade has been tested to make no measurable and audible improvement to the sound.
So no requirement for a beefy power supply.

Iam just amazed at the amount of power and control the amp has and I look in disgust to the slim power cable, how on earth can do much power be drawn through such a tiny cable.
As for the sound of the amp and whether others like it or not, I would laugh at them as I have “ arguably “ on e of the best headphones currently available the Abyss AB-1266 and out of the few amps I have tried the Liquid Platinum trumps them by a mile.
It may be improved by the WA33 or the WA 234 Mono Blocks but that’s not a realistic amp choice.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,826 of 5,148
Looking at my basement can stack pretty much sums up the worth of the LP: I took my $2500 DAC out of a chain upstairs to run the $500 LP. Because.

It is the only can amp I currently have that can show off the DAC. My other DACs are fine, one does something slightly obnoxious to HF (a little bit) but only the LP shows the papa DAC in all of its potential.

Something is upside down here. :smirk:

The power supply upgrade has been tested to make so measurable and audible improvement to the sound.
So no requirement for a beefy power supply.

Iam just amazed at the amount of power and control the amp has and I look in disgust to the slim power cable, how on earth can do much power be drawn through such a tiny cable.
As for the sound of the amp and whether others like it or not, I would laugh at them as I have “ arguably “ on e of the best headphones currently available the Abyss AB-1266 and out of the few amps I have tried the Liquid Platinum trumps them by a mile.
It may be improved by the WA33 or the WA 234 Mono Blocks but that’s not a realistic amp choice.

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #2,827 of 5,148
Got the LP in a swap deal from another head-fier yesterday. At the same time, the Elegia’s arrived as well. So I’m putting them through some burn-in.

I don’t like the sound of the stock tubes. Can anyone suggest a set of tubes that’ll get me more details, has good dynamics, clarity and bass punch? It’ll be greatly appreciated!

CFC9FF33-FFF6-4B98-83E6-FF19547E7D20.jpeg

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #2,828 of 5,148
I’ve been meaning to compile a list of recommended tubes for awhile but I have all this music I’m listening through. Anyway, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ether-2-impressions-and-discussion.890282/post-14894143 has a few recommendations.

Also:
- LCMusicLover voted for the Siemens E188CC
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...platinum-by-alex-cavalli.876406/post-15628641

- sahmen was pleased with his Sylvania 6922 D Getters
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...platinum-by-alex-cavalli.876406/post-15591727

I’ll add more here as I find them.

All the best

Got the LP in a swap deal from another head-fier yesterday. At the same time, the Elegia’s arrived as well. So I’m putting them through some burn-in.

I don’t like the sound of the stock tubes. Can anyone suggest a set of tubes that’ll get me more details, has good dynamics, clarity and bass punch? It’ll be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #2,829 of 5,148

CFC9FF33-FFF6-4B98-83E6-FF19547E7D20.jpeg

Congrats on your trade; hope you like it. There are lots of good suggestions in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-liquid-platinum-tube-rollers.898852/

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #2,830 of 5,148
Absolutely, Schiit Audio products are well designed.
If you hear anything better in future, remember to upgrade the DAC and not the amp.
Also buy the most expensive headphones you can afford, that will make the most improvement in the sound and the Liquid Platinum can drive them all.
Potentially get some Gold Lion 6922’s or some Amperex 7308 tubes and your set.
May I know whether I need to get matched pair for lp? Thanks

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #2,831 of 5,148
Let me poke my nose it here -- I really like all the Siemens NOS tubes I've gotten: E88CC, E188CC, CCa. All have the same general character and excel in the 'bass punch' area. In addition, the CCa (the most expensive of course) are brilliant in all areas. I do also really enjoy the sound of my NOS Brimar CV-2492. Not quite as warm/bassy, but not deficient in that area. They bring great air to the headstage, while also being the most detailed of any tubes I have tried. I've also tried some recommended Amperex tubes, but really the Siemens and Brimar are the only tubes which get any time.

Note that I also had a negative reaction to the stock tube sound. The first set of replacement tubes I purchased were Genelex Gold Lions. They're pretty good, and not too expensive. Frankly, they're probably 90% of my NOS tubes. In addition, they're sort of in the middle between the Brimar and Siemens tubes. At the time I got the LP, I was still fighting with my Utopia to get it where I loved it (had been "...and I should love them, they're so technically brilliant. but there's just something.") After the disappointment on first listen via the stock tubes, the Genelex were like "Yeah baby, that's what I'm talking about!" I would say that tube swaps make a relatively small difference in the sound For example, going from Siemens CCa to Brimar CV-2492 has about the same amount of impact on the sound as going from my Denafrips Pontus R-2-R DAC to my Gumby did.

Looking at your profile, I see we only have/had a couple sets of cans in common (HEKse, Beyer T1.2, HE-6se). In addition, I'd guess your Elegia probably wants the same tubes as my Utopia. For all of those (except HE-6se) I'd probably prefer the Siemens sound to the Brimar sound, although I do like what the Brimar do for Utopia's stage.

I didn't think the HE-6se were adequately powered by the LP, so I didn't listen to that pairing much. Actually, I wonder what amp you're using for that?

Anyway, hope that helps.

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #2,832 of 5,148

The Sylvania 6922 D Getters fit the bill, as well as Brimar CV2492. The stock tubes did nothing for me, as well.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #2,833 of 5,148
I should add that tube swapping is a real PITA, and takes enough time that comparisons are tough, as in 'what did that sound like?' The whole 'turn the amp off, grab the hot tubes and pull, insert the new tubes, turn the amp on and wait' cycle runs about a minute and a half. Way too long for auditory memory to be reliable.

The only reason I'm willing to express definitive opinions is that for a while I had 2 LPs (long story) and could compare tubes by simply moving the headphone cable from one LP to the other. Since my preamp has 2 balanced outputs, I could drive both amps at the same volume from the same source, allowing easy direct comparisons.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #2,835 of 5,148
Get 12au7 to 6922 adapters folks. Tubes are cheaper and superior to 6922/e88cc/CCa.
Plus, they lift the tubes out of the amp, allowing a bit more cooling, so the amp doesn't get quite as hot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back