Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum - By Alex Cavalli
Apr 5, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #5,146 of 5,148
The ECC83 (European name for 12AX7) has gain of 100x. It is too 'hot' for LP. The stock tube, 6922, has gain of 32x. The ECC82 (or 12AU7) has gain of 20x. That is why I use ECC82s in LP: also, the slightly lower gain creates signal 'headroom' for the LP circuitry. Plus, more clockwise volume knob rotation is possible. EDIT: you can use those Pulse Tube Store adapters with ECC82s.
Thanks - will chase down the ECC82s. Cause I can’t get these adapters out…

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #5,147 of 5,148
I decided to pull out the Liquid Spark and hook it up to my tube buffer preamp, and compare it to my LP, and when I use the LS by itself, I pick up on the solid state character of the output, in comparison to the LP's smoothness. When I add the tube buffer, any harshness from the LS is gone, and it is eerie how close it sounds in comparison to the LP. I guess I am too accustomed to tube sound. :)

I may need to do some tube rolling on the LP.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #5,148 of 5,148
Hey all, I recently sold my LP and so have some nice tubes here - 4 '74 Reflektor single getter post 6n23P, 4 '73 Voskod 6n23P, and a pair of '63 Amperex Bugle Boy ECC88/6DJ8, if anyone is interested. All of them were purchased strong NOS, and I used the amp for a total of about 10 hours so consider any of these to be very strong. Sorry I can't test them but I'll stand by them functioning flawlessly. If interested just make me a reasonable offer, I'm not up to date on what these are worth TBH, but I'm sure we can work something out. Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back