Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Mar 31, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #121 of 694
Mar 31, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #122 of 694
Mar 31, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #123 of 694
Yes, great review. Maybe this is the amp I wanted the LP to be? I was looking for a bit more detail and air from the LP, hopfully this has that extra detail? Do wish they would lose that DAC though.

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #124 of 694
Did you get a chance to compare the balanced output vs. the single-ended output?

If so, did you notice any significant SQ differences between them (other than the obvious power output difference).

I didn't notice a big difference, but I didn't do an extensive comparison either. I know the measurements are a bit better via balanced and that is really how it is designed to be used.

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #125 of 694
Yes, great review. Maybe this is the amp I wanted the LP to be? I was looking for a bit more detail and air from the LP, hopfully this has that extra detail? Do wish they would lose that DAC though.

It could be. It's a sliding scale. It's observably better than the LP, but they are clearly cut from the same sonic cloth, so if you liked the LP overall and it was just ever so slightly short in those areas, you might be into it. If you're expecting something completely different, it's definitely not a 180. It's just hard to judge how much of a difference you're looking for.

Apr 1, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #126 of 694
It could be. It's a sliding scale. It's observably better than the LP, but they are clearly cut from the same sonic cloth, so if you liked the LP overall and it was just ever so slightly short in those areas, you might be into it. If you're expecting something completely different, it's definitely not a 180. It's just hard to judge how much of a difference you're looking for.
I thought the LP was punchy, dynamic and a nice smooth sound. What I didn't like was it's lack of detail, even after tube rolling at least compared to my THX 789. I didn't feel the LP was a real improvement over the THX and returned it. Just wonder if the LG will give me those added details and transparency I thought was missing over the LP?

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #127 of 694
Apr 1, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #129 of 694
Excellent review! My wallet is already shivering.
At current rate of being postponed over and over again - your wallet can relax for a long while... Showing as June release, and I bet it would not be available before Aug. or Sep.

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #130 of 694
Great work, @Hansotek . I've been looking forward to this review for a long time, as I am sure many others have, so I am particularly grateful that it is out now, with enough lead time to help us in making the decision whether to purchase the LauX or give it a miss, when it eventually shows up. One area I am particularly concerned about, as an owner of an LP, is the SQ delta you identified between the LP and the LauX. You made clear that the delta is most palpable when it comes to driving notoriously hard to drive cans, such as the He6se.

What I am not getting with enough clarity is how much of that delta disappears when the impedance and sensitivity of the cans are average, and the cans themselves are not particularly hard to drive. You touch upon this example briefly when discussing the ZMF Auteur:

"Switching over to the easier-to-drive 300 Ohm ZMF Verité Closed, the differences become far less pronounced. The easiest way to compare here would be to say the Gold X more or less sounds like a Liquid Platinum with a really sweet set of tubes. Pitted against the Platinum with an early 1960's set of Harleen-manufactured Dario Miniwatt 188CC's, the amplifiers finished in a dead heat."

Currently, my hardest to drive pair of cans might be the LCD-4, but I might also look into getting the Susvara in the future, so the LauX is definitely on my radar (although, some people might not consider the LauX, unlike the original Lau, to be optimal for either the He6se, or the Susvara, but I think that remains to be seen). I also do realize that you do recommend the LauX as a worthwhile upgrade over the LP, so my question is more about characterizing the nature of the delta in more depth, or if you like, in identifying the differences between the two as they perform when the delta is not very explicit, i.e. as they perform with cans that are not particularly hard to drive. In other words, i would like a more clear sense of how much better the LauX might perform over the LP, if I should get it to drive the cans I own now (before I spring for the Susvara, eventually). If you can elaborate a little more in identifying the differences in such respects as imaging, soundstage, detail retrieval, bass quantity and texture etc. etc., that would increase my appreciation even more, although, your present review is already highly appreciated, as is. I might just be acting a little greedy here, I know, and I hope you can indulge me a little, if that is possible at all.

Thanks again.

Apr 1, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #131 of 694
At current rate of being postponed over and over again - your wallet can relax for a long while... Showing as June release, and I bet it would not be available before Aug. or Sep.

Yes, I think it was originally planned for November of last year. It's OK, I can wait - and I've got the Liquid Carbon and Liquid Platinum to keep me company in the meantime.

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #132 of 694

Hi, Dave. I recently acquired a Liquid Platinum (stock tubes only) and have been using a Gilmore Lite Mk. 2 since last July (far longer than any other equipment I've owned and for good reason). I was quite surprised in the improvement from driving the HD-650 balanced, as I has assumed it wouldn't benefit as much from the extra power. To close the gap, I modded my Gilmore Lite Mk. 2 with Elna Silmic II capacitors and it yielded a slight improvement. There's some things the Gilmore Lite does better (clarity, microdetail, concise and punchy midbass) and some things the LP does better (Low frequency extension, microdynamics, and rhythm and pace of music). The GLite Mk. 2 can sound technically better with some music, but loses some of that toe-tapping, head-bobbing factor of the LP.

Barring the mods on my GLite Mk. 2 which don't change the signature too much, would you say that the Liquid Gold X moves a little more towards the GLite Mk. 2 in terms of that clarity, detail, and separation while retaining the trademark Cavalli musicality? The GS-X Mini is an interesting alternative, but $1800-$2000 is still a lot of money. SPL Phonitor e is also of interest, but I've yet to hear any of the SPL gear.

I noticed you've reviewed the GLite Mk. 2 positively which is why I ask. Although I'm a fan of Hybrid tube amps, I'm not really a fan of tube rolling nervosa, so the LGX is also attractive. Considering that I actually paid a little less for a barely used LP than my GLite Mk. 2, I'm pretty thrilled so far, but I still feel like it's just barely a touch too laid back at times. Something in between the GLite Mk. 2 and LP would be perfect for me.

Apr 12, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #133 of 694

So the fact this review is out means it's almost ready to sell?

Edit: have been eyeballing it's release date for a long time now. Currently have a Matrix Audio HPA-3B and 789 I'd happily sell to get it. I lean more to the Matrix as it has a bit more body than the THX and it's also running dual opa1656 opamps.

The new Yulong Aquilla II is also a compelling option but there are no reviews.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #134 of 694
So the fact this review is out means it's almost ready to sell?

Edit: have been eyeballing it's release date for a long time now. Currently have a Matrix Audio HPA-3B and 789 I'd happily sell to get it. I lean more to the Matrix as it has a bit more body than the THX and it's also running dual opa1656 opamps.

The new Yulong Aquilla II is also a compelling option but there are no reviews.

I don’t have a timeline. Obviously there are some complications right now with COVID-19, so we’re all a little short on answers as far as the timelines go.

Apr 12, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #135 of 694
Hi, Dave. I recently acquired a Liquid Platinum (stock tubes only) and have been using a Gilmore Lite Mk. 2 since last July (far longer than any other equipment I've owned and for good reason). I was quite surprised in the improvement from driving the HD-650 balanced, as I has assumed it wouldn't benefit as much from the extra power. To close the gap, I modded my Gilmore Lite Mk. 2 with Elna Silmic II capacitors and it yielded a slight improvement. There's some things the Gilmore Lite does better (clarity, microdetail, concise and punchy midbass) and some things the LP does better (Low frequency extension, microdynamics, and rhythm and pace of music). The GLite Mk. 2 can sound technically better with some music, but loses some of that toe-tapping, head-bobbing factor of the LP.

Barring the mods on my GLite Mk. 2 which don't change the signature too much, would you say that the Liquid Gold X moves a little more towards the GLite Mk. 2 in terms of that clarity, detail, and separation while retaining the trademark Cavalli musicality? The GS-X Mini is an interesting alternative, but $1800-$2000 is still a lot of money. SPL Phonitor e is also of interest, but I've yet to hear any of the SPL gear.

I noticed you've reviewed the GLite Mk. 2 positively which is why I ask. Although I'm a fan of Hybrid tube amps, I'm not really a fan of tube rolling nervosa, so the LGX is also attractive. Considering that I actually paid a little less for a barely used LP than my GLite Mk. 2, I'm pretty thrilled so far, but I still feel like it's just barely a touch too laid back at times. Something in between the GLite Mk. 2 and LP would be perfect for me.

I don’t really know how to answer this, honestly, because I’m detecting we have different definitions about what constitutes “toe-tapping/head bobbing”. To me, the GLite Mk2 and GSX mini are very fast-paced amps - they are very dialed in on the attack and decay factor. The Cavalli stuff is more focused on body and detail. The LGX is not dissimilar from the LP in terms of pace, there is just more punch and resolution overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back