Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Feb 29, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #91 of 694
Working on it. The LauX is still burning in.

@Hansotek : I've been waiting for some word from you about your impressions of the LauX, or even a review, since this post from December 24th. Given the time that has elapsed since that post, I am sure burn-in and auditioning preoccupations are, most likely, no longer an issue, so if you could be so kind as to provide some kind of "sneak preview" of your impressions, or your upcoming review, I am sure it would be highly appreciated, and not just by me. I'm not attempting to be inconsiderate, or a smarta**, in case you have been distracted by other, more serious, preoccupations (and if that is indeed the case, then I'd rather opt not to bother you with such a demand at this time). I just thought I should come out and ask now, as I have been waiting since December 24th.:):)

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #92 of 694
Crimson feels a little more neutral or uncolored vs the Gold. It's got a very clean pristine sound where the Lau sounds a little more sexy and smooth. Super technical there, I know...
Well, hopefully by now you know who to contact first when you have something good for sale... :wink:

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #93 of 694
@Hansotek : I've been waiting for some word from you about your impressions of the LauX, or even a review, since this post from December 24th. Given the time that has elapsed since that post, I am sure burn-in and auditioning preoccupations are, most likely, no longer an issue, so if you could be so kind as to provide some kind of "sneak preview" of your impressions, or your upcoming review, I am sure it would be highly appreciated, and not just by me. I'm not attempting to be inconsiderate, or a smarta**, in case you have been distracted by other, more serious, preoccupations (and if that is indeed the case, then I'd rather opt not to bother you with such a demand at this time). I just thought I should come out and ask now, as I have been waiting since December 24th.:):)

Sorry, I got completely sidelined with work, but I have been progressively gathering impressions the whole time. I pulled most of the review together last weekend, after returning from my company's annual conference, which pretty much wiped out all my free time in January and February this year.

With that being said... the review is almost done, and it may end up being be my longest review, once all is said and done. Still, you and others have been waiting patiently, especially (@runeight), so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for some impressions.

I know there is a lot of curiosity about how it compares to the Platinum. The differences really stood out with the always stubborn HE-6se. Here's an excerpt from my upcoming review:

"Comparing against the Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum with the classic hard-to-drive choice, the Hifiman HE-6se, showcased the differences between the amplifiers quite clearly. Given the popularity of the Liquid Platinum, this likely offers the best lens into the Liquid Gold X’s sound for many listeners.

Listening to “Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)” from Nine Inch Nails’ classic The Downward Spiral revealed several spots where the Gold X surpassed the Platinum. The most noticeable difference came in terms of the bass delivery. With the Gold X, each kick drum landed with a thunderous blast that rattled my eardrums. Switching back to the Platinum, the kick drum registered with a modest “thwack”, registering only a fraction of the power.

Another difference I found was the depth layering. As the keyboard enters in the second verse, the Gold X places it at a pinpoint distance behind the other instruments, creating a real sense of magic. The Platinum’s placement is much hazier and generally flattened, in comparison. The same sounds are present, but their definition and placement just comes off as just a little sloppy when put in direct comparison against the Gold X.

The third and most obvious difference in comparing the two with the demanding HE-6se shows in the upper midrange and treble, where the Gold X keeps a firm grip of control. The Platinum comes off as thinner, splashier and uncontrolled, pitted against the Gold X’s iron grip. This, combined with the greater impact and presence on the low end, causes the Gold X to come off as a bit warmer overall. But if one dives just a little bit deeper and analyzes the sound, the reality is, the Gold X is in much firmer command of the driver, delivering a more even and accurate response."

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #94 of 694
Sorry, I got completely sidelined with work, but I have been progressively gathering impressions the whole time. I pulled most of the review together last weekend, after returning from my company's annual conference, which pretty much wiped out all my free time in January and February this year.

With that being said... the review is almost done, and it may end up being be my longest review, once all is said and done. Still, you and others have been waiting patiently, especially (@runeight), so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for some impressions.

I know there is a lot of curiosity about how it compares to the Platinum. The differences really stood out with the always stubborn HE-6se. Here's an excerpt from my upcoming review:

"Comparing against the Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum with the classic hard-to-drive choice, the Hifiman HE-6se, showcased the differences between the amplifiers quite clearly. Given the popularity of the Liquid Platinum, this likely offers the best lens into the Liquid Gold X’s sound for many listeners.

Listening to “Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now)” from Nine Inch Nails’ classic The Downward Spiral revealed several spots where the Gold X surpassed the Platinum. The most noticeable difference came in terms of the bass delivery. With the Gold X, each kick drum landed with a thunderous blast that rattled my eardrums. Switching back to the Platinum, the kick drum registered with a modest “thwack”, registering only a fraction of the power.

Another difference I found was the depth layering. As the keyboard enters in the second verse, the Gold X places it at a pinpoint distance behind the other instruments, creating a real sense of magic. The Platinum’s placement is much hazier and generally flattened, in comparison. The same sounds are present, but their definition and placement just comes off as just a little sloppy when put in direct comparison against the Gold X.

The third and most obvious difference in comparing the two with the demanding HE-6se shows in the upper midrange and treble, where the Gold X keeps a firm grip of control. The Platinum comes off as thinner, splashier and uncontrolled, pitted against the Gold X’s iron grip. This, combined with the greater impact and presence on the low end, causes the Gold X to come off as a bit warmer overall. But if one dives just a little bit deeper and analyzes the sound, the reality is, the Gold X is in much firmer command of the driver, delivering a more even and accurate response."

Thanks Dave for the impressions!
Couple quick questions:
1. Which tubes did you use with the LP in your comparisons? That would have effect on Bass (and other characteristics)...
2. Did you use other headphones? Any of the ZMF headphones (Verite/Atticus/Aeolus)? How about easier to drive planars (HEXv2, etc.)?
3. Do you have as part of your review comparison to the original Cavalli Liquid Gold?

Thanks,
Zachi.

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #95 of 694

Thanks @Hansotek for these early impressions. I'm really heartened that you used the He-6SE in this comparison, as that also gives me some sense as to how the LauX might fare with the Hifiman Susvara, which I am interested in. I am particularly intrigued by what you're calling the "iron grip" of the LauX in cases where the LP seems to come up short. The only thing I can think of that is not thanking you at the moment is my wallet, which is already bemoaning the impact the LauX would have on it, come June, but it will get used to it, as it always does, Needless to say, I can't wait to read the full review itself, as there are several other things about the LauX that I am curious about, one of them being how it fares with the on-board DAC in play, and how it does when the DAC is bypassed.

As for my LP, I am going to have to find some alternative work for it to do somewhere else in the house when it gets replaced by the LauX, as I would like to keep it (the LP) too in the stable.

Thanks again for the work you have done reviewing all these Cavalli amps.

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #96 of 694

Nice! Thanks for the impressions! Time to start saving for the Gold X, as I have to have it now, after reading that. I take it this comparison to the LP is with the stock tubes?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #97 of 694
Nice! Thanks for the impressions! Time to start saving for the Gold X, as I have to have it now, after reading that. I take it this comparison to the LP is with the stock tubes?

I had a pair of early 60's Miniwatt 188CCs in there for this particular comparison (there is additional commentary which has been omitted in the context of this post, but will appear in the full review).

I wanted to push the platinum up as close as it could get to the Gold X - it still doesn't quite make it, even with these super tubes - at least with more challenging headphones. With easy to dive headphones, top tier tubes even the playing field a lot more. Again, this was a 350 word excerpt from a nearly 2,000 word review.

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #98 of 694
Thanks Dave for the impressions!
Couple quick questions:
1. Which tubes did you use with the LP in your comparisons? That would have effect on Bass (and other characteristics)...
2. Did you use other headphones? Any of the ZMF headphones (Verite/Atticus/Aeolus)? How about easier to drive planars (HEXv2, etc.)?
3. Do you have as part of your review comparison to the original Cavalli Liquid Gold?

Thanks,
Zachi.

I'll answer all of these in the full review.

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #99 of 694
I had a pair of early 60's Miniwatt 188CCs in there for this particular comparison (there is additional commentary which has been omitted in the context of this post, but will appear in the full review).

I wanted to push the platinum up as close as it could get to the Gold X - it still doesn't quite make it, even with these super tubes - at least with more challenging headphones. With easy to dive headphones, top tier tubes even the playing field a lot more. Again, this was a 350 word excerpt from a nearly 2,000 word review.
Thanks man! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I am glad that you actually used some top tier tubes, as tubes do make a difference, and I really can't wait to read the full review.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #101 of 694
Can you please compare it to THX AAA 789 too?
Cheers
I have a feeling the Liquid Gold, is going to blow the 789 out of the water, but that is just me.

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #102 of 694
I have a feeling the Liquid Gold, is going to blow the 789 out of the water, but that is just me.
It’ll definitely be different tone wise. From what I’ve been reading about THX amps they are clean, detailed and neutral. Cavalli amps are warm, detailed, musical and organic sounding. I would love to hear this amp when it comes out. But it will come down to a matter of taste in the end on which one to buy.

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #103 of 694
Well the LP definitely doesn't "blow the 789 out the water", not even close, if it did I would still have it!

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #104 of 694
It’ll definitely be different tone wise. From what I’ve been reading about THX amps they are clean, detailed and neutral. Cavalli amps are warm, detailed, musical and organic sounding. I would love to hear this amp when it comes out. But it will come down to a matter of taste in the end on which one to buy.
This is true. I will be buying the Liquid Gold, that second it is available.

Mar 12, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #105 of 694
Can you please compare it to THX AAA 789 too?
Cheers

I don't have one here to compare, but I'm pretty familiar with the sound. As @Slim1970 said above, they are pretty much polar opposites when it comes to tonality.

The THX789 is what I would call "clean, crispy and solid-state-ey without being annoying... with an emphasis on neutrality and articulation" in contrast, the Liquid Gold X is "smooth, tubey and musical with an emphasis on detail, imaging, transparency and realism."

In a comparison analogous to headphones, the THX-789 would be more of a Utopia/HD800/HD600/K702/SR-009 headphone, whereas the Liquid Gold more of a Abyss/LCD-4/Atticus/SR-007. Obviously, the net effect is lower with amplification, but I think you get where I'm going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back