Monoprice Monolith Liquid Gold (X)
Dec 17, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #31 of 694

The Liquid Gold X is here. Ask me anything.
To second others, I would also like to learn how it compares with the original Liquid Gold, and to the Liquid Platinum, with and/or without the DAC, but I'd also like to know when we should expect your full review of the unit, assuming you're doing one.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #32 of 694
To second others, I would also like to learn how it compares with the original Liquid Gold, and to the Liquid Platinum, with and/or without the DAC, but I'd also like to know when we should expect your full review of the unit, assuming you're doing one.

I will be, yes. Questions noted. I’m gathering impressions and will do my best to answer!

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #35 of 694
Answers to Rattle and Zachik.

The LP DAC uses an AK4499 4ch Chip. It will, obviously, be balanced with the expected complement of ins and outs. It will also, obviously, be in the same type enclosure for stacking. :)

As for LAuX and DAC output, I think this is a real estate issue. The rear panel is pretty much consumed with all the jacking that is there now.

And, LP without a DAC, there is simply no room to put one in because of the tubes and the needed tube supplies. The LAuX, OTOH, has the room for a fairly big daughter board that holds the DAC. Should any of you grab the LAuX you will see how it is all arranged.
@runeight -- Might want to ping the Monoprice folks regarding this part of the description:
...this amplifier includes a built-in fully balanced DAC section based on the AKM 4493 DAC.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38967#descriptionTab

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #37 of 694
1. What is your opinion on the integrated DAC?
2. Compared to directly outputting from the Hugo2, how is the sound?
3. If you’ve had a chance, how is it compared to the original LG?

Thanks, and look forward to your impressions!

1. First listen to the integrated DAC was impressive. Is it as good as using the Hugo 2 as a DAC for the LauX? No - the Hugo 2 is the better DAC, but that would be a somewhat realistic expectation. The better question is: "If I was using the LauX's built in DAC, could I justify dropping another $2,400 on a Hugo 2 to use as my DAC for the LauX?" To that I would say, probably not.

2. I have not compared the direct outputs yet, but I will. That is a good question. I usually don't drive headphones directly from the Hugo 2. I can definitely tell you, before direct comparison, that the LauX has more musicality/personality than the Hugo 2 direct. I tend to prefer the "oomph" and musicality a dedicated amplifier provides relative to the Hugo 2's direct output, as a personal preference. I will A/B and let you know what I find.

3. Unfortunately, I don't have the original Lau, and it's been a while since I have heard one now. This thing absolutely crushes for the price though.

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #39 of 694
Dec 17, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #40 of 694
1. First listen to the integrated DAC was impressive. Is it as good as using the Hugo 2 as a DAC for the LauX? No - the Hugo 2 is the better DAC, but that would be a somewhat realistic expectation. The better question is: "If I was using the LauX's built in DAC, could I justify dropping another $2,400 on a Hugo 2 to use as my DAC for the LauX?" To that I would say, probably not.

2. I have not compared the direct outputs yet, but I will. That is a good question. I usually don't drive headphones directly from the Hugo 2. I can definitely tell you, before direct comparison, that the LauX has more musicality/personality than the Hugo 2 direct. I tend to prefer the "oomph" and musicality a dedicated amplifier provides relative to the Hugo 2's direct output, as a personal preference. I will A/B and let you know what I find.

3. Unfortunately, I don't have the original Lau, and it's been a while since I have heard one now. This thing absolutely crushes for the price though.

Any comments on heat or gain ? How's the pot any issues ?

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #41 of 694
Any comments on heat or gain ? How's the pot any issues ?

No issues with the pot. Not as sensitive as the Platinum for volume.

Drives the HE6 just fine on high gain. Plenty of play with more sensitive stuff on low gain.

Runs warm, but nowhere near as hot as the original Lau.

Dec 18, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #42 of 694
Any comparison to the Liquid Platinum?

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #43 of 694
where can we get another external power supply for the liquid platinum ? The one 1 have squeals like a piggy and is really annoying. My only complaint.

Yes, I can help with that. PM me.

First time I've heard about one squealing. The manuf may ask for it back, if you are willing, to check it out.

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #45 of 694
Anyone had a chance to compare the Liquid Gold to the Liquid Platinum? I would love to read your thoughts, or even first impressions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back