Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #766 of 841
Do you want to keep the THX sound or do you want to listen to something completely different?
I think something different. I like the THX sound for my home/gaming setup. For grins, I placed an order for a Schiit Jot2 since there is a long lead time with the thought that I could cancel it if I change my mind. Maybe tubes? But then again, I don't understand the differences in the various tubes. Not sure.

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #767 of 841
I think something different. I like the THX sound for my home/gaming setup. For grins, I placed an order for a Schiit Jot2 since there is a long lead time with the thought that I could cancel it if I change my mind. Maybe tubes? But then again, I don't understand the differences in the various tubes. Not sure.
The Jot will be a good change from the 788. It'll have better staging and maybe a little better bass. I was going to suggest a singer sa1 if you want to keep the great technicality but have a warmer sound. DAC wise it's an updated AKM chipset you'll be fine till you want to get into R2R DACs or multibit.

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #768 of 841
The Jot will be a good change from the 788. It'll have better staging and maybe a little better bass. I was going to suggest a singer sa1 if you want to keep the great technicality but have a warmer sound. DAC wise it's an updated AKM chipset you'll be fine till you want to get into R2R DACs or multibit.
Thanks for the input.

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #769 of 841
Has anyone had an issue where the DAC/amp no longer outputs sound after on idle/standby for a longer period (usually overnight) when using USB on Windows 10? I don’t turn off the DAC/amp when not on the computer but the sound doesn’t disappear every time- maybe 2 or 3 times over a week.

I iinstalled the Xmos driver and the output etc hasn’t changed at all when this happens - move volume up and down doesn’t help nor changing usb to toslink etc and back to usb. Only way it works is by turning it of then back on.

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #772 of 841
Mine does this too, and so does my Liquid Platinum haha! I have no idea why they tell you it'll mute, when both of my Monolith amps support dual output. I wonder if it's a bug?
I was looking for confirmation about this and found your comment. Mine does this too. It makes me wonder what the heck is going on with the balanced output if the non balanced output is working.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #773 of 841
Hey guys
I'm looking into this unit mainly because of the PEQ convenience. Is the unit still viable in late 2021? I can find far better measuring DAC+AMPs or Combos for this price but none of them have built-in PEQ.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #774 of 841
Hey guys
I'm looking into this unit mainly because of the PEQ convenience. Is the unit still viable in late 2021? I can find far better measuring DAC+AMPs or Combos for this price but none of them have built-in PEQ.
This is the only option with built in EQ (and real power to drive full size headphones) without stepping up to the RME ADI-2 DAC. Any of these 'far better measuring' units are not going to sound better based on those measurements. Different maybe. But all of those improved measurements alone will not be audible anyway. As this unit already is clean and clear way beyond human hearing capability. I prefer the amplifier portion of this 788 (24459) over the 789. By direct comparison the 789 sounds a little thinner with less body or weight to the music. I 'prefer' the sound of my RME ADI-2 DAC V2 (which measures way better) over this unit but only because it sounds a bit thicker and has a taller (vs wide) soundstage. I think the 24459 represents a great value, especially if you catch it when they occasionally offer it for $400 or you get a used one. The RME ADI-2 is a very clear step up in functionality (putting aside sound preferences) and the upgrade is worth every single penny in my opinion.

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #775 of 841
Hey guys
I think the unit is a great value. I was using it as my primary amp for a couple months and was very happy with it. I have since moved up to a Schitt BF2/Jot2 stack. I am planning on selling it. Let me know if you are interested.

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #776 of 841
This is the only option with built in EQ (and real power to drive full size headphones) without stepping up to the RME ADI-2 DAC. Any of these 'far better measuring' units are not going to sound better based on those measurements. Different maybe. But all of those improved measurements alone will not be audible anyway. As this unit already is clean and clear way beyond human hearing capability. I prefer the amplifier portion of this 788 (24459) over the 789. By direct comparison the 789 sounds a little thinner with less body or weight to the music. I 'prefer' the sound of my RME ADI-2 DAC V2 (which measures way better) over this unit but only because it sounds a bit thicker and has a taller (vs wide) soundstage. I think the 24459 represents a great value, especially if you catch it when they occasionally offer it for $400 or you get a used one. The RME ADI-2 is a very clear step up in functionality (putting aside sound preferences) and the upgrade is worth every single penny in my opinion.
Thanks for the feedback. One final question, does this unit have multiple EQ profiles that I can set for multiple headphones and quickly switch between them?

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #778 of 841
If I remember correctly, it was a single EQ setting.
Thanks for the info. Sadly a deal-breaker for me then. I use EQ on all my headphones and I can't adjust filters each time I switch between them :frowning2:

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #779 of 841
Thanks for the feedback. One final question, does this unit have multiple EQ profiles that I can set for multiple headphones and quickly switch between them?
That is the best question to ask. It does not. You can only save each band once. If you were using a couple headphones and only needed 1-2 filters each it might work okay. But otherwise it is kind of a PITA. This is my primary reason for upgrading to the RME initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back