Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #316 of 841
Yeah but only as long as they provide both a firmware flashing tool, as well as the updates without being afraid of people reverse-engineering them :/ I think that's what makes other companies hesitant at least

Yea, I am definitely curious if firmware updates are possible with this amp. Hopefully @MonoPrice can provide some answers to our questions

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #317 of 841
I'm watching this thread as of course I'm very interested in your comments and findings about Dirac Sensaround,
it's unfortunate that a few initial units with wrong firmware slipped into users hands and one has been tested by Amir :frowning2:
I'm confident anyhow that Monoprice will follow up..

Flavio

Nov 29, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #318 of 841
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #319 of 841
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #321 of 841
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #322 of 841
Keep both. They stack on each other nicely. :)

I am using the Loxjie P20 balanced tube amp. It's a great compliment (warm and detailed with GE JAN 5670 tubes) and sounds quite good and under $100.

Just wanted to mention that I picked up the Loxjie and am listening right now with the stock tubes and the Clears/Mimby in the chain via the balanced output. Holy crap, this cheap little beast sounds *insanely* good to my ears with this combo! I'll have to grab a pair of the GEs and give them a shot. Thanks for pointing this amp out to me!

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #323 of 841
Monoprice, when they released the M1060, had used mmcx connectors that failed often. They switched over to 2.5mm connectors a few months later and anyone was allowed to swap it out. I swapped mine out and it went pretty flawlessly. But as far as silent revisions go, I think this happens a lot and you just don’t know about it.

It’s a bit easier nowadays to get internet updates to firmware if the hardware allows it (like our receivers and Blu-ray players and other connected items) but this wasn’t the norm prior to connected devices.

I believe they do have a rep — @MonoPrice
It might be a while...

MonoPrice
Member of the Trade: Monoprice
Male
Profile PageStart a Private MessageFollow Ignore
Aug 31, 2011

MonoPrice was last seen:
Oct 24, 2018

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #324 of 841
Just wanted to mention that I picked up the Loxjie and am listening right now with the stock tubes and the Clears/Mimby in the chain via the balanced output. Holy crap, this cheap little beast sounds *insanely* good to my ears with this combo! I'll have to grab a pair of the GEs and give them a shot. Thanks for pointing this amp out to me!

Yea, the P20 is surprisingly really good, and fully balanced! I took it apart and peeked inside. They pair great with the Focal headphones I have. The stock tubes took a few hours to warm up and they sounded quite good. I think the GE ones add more detail back into the mix with a similar sound signature. All subjective listening but I feel like this is one of the bargains of the year.

Nov 29, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #326 of 841
Not returning this amp specifically, but another item that I ordered through Monoprice (mentioned earlier in this thread) has taken 6 days with no response whatsoever. So I called in and apparently my specific issue was transfered over to the the technical department from the RMA one, and they claimed that to be the reason for the wait. If they transfered my case they should of let me known, and once they did I don't see why it would take the technical support team to reach out to me to find out what was going on (and do trouble shoot bs to prove the issue was valid).

(Edit) :
I basically restated what I had originally written out, no point in the hold up. Are they just lazy, or were they perhaps hoping I'd forget about it, I wonder.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #327 of 841
What does Monoprice do with amps that are sent back for credit? Do they have a separate place they sell returned items at a discount once they have checked them out and found they are working properly?

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #328 of 841
What does Monoprice do with amps that are sent back for credit? Do they have a separate place they sell returned items at a discount once they have checked them out and found they are working properly?

They sell open-box and refurb items on their site.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #329 of 841
I am done with Moniprice, I am currently working to get my money back in full.
I just learn that they charge tax of shipping, and they did not refund it.
After back and forth a few times, now they refund the tax part of shipping.
Anyway, I am done with Monoprice, too much hassle.
Watch their web site, and you might see the amp I returned in low price as openbox.

Dec 4, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #330 of 841
Monoprice's service aside. I just got this little thing to audition and it's doing a fantastic job of driving my Abyss. It's got the typical AKM DAC sound, which I find to be slightly on the warmer side and lacking sibilance. Details and resolution are not at the Hugo 2's level, but at this price you can't really expect that. It does have some nice clean power that's bringing out a lot of the physicality and texture of the low end on the Abyss. The single ended output sounds good as well on my Utopias. The U/I is a little clunky, but I don't see myself playing with it too much. It does look like I have to click several times to do something as simple as change outputs from HP to RCA, so there's definitely room for improvement there in a future version. But, all in all, I think it's a pretty fantastic value for a great sounding fully balanced DAC/AMP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back