Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #256 of 841
Can you use ASIO or WASAPI to get around it?

haven't tried yet, as i was hoping it would just be plug and play. looking in the device manager, xmos needs a driver. super annoyed right now....

EDIT: I disabled windows system sounds and that seems to have solved it (as far as I can tell so far)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #257 of 841
For windows sound device setting, you can just set it 16bit/44.1khz.
It will change to the format of your music when played.
As I mentioned, for foobar2000, you need WASAPI and use "push" mode to work.
Windows does flag xmos driver not installed for this dac, but it is the way for now.
I guess that you can leave it, and wait for monoprice to provide one if they have this plan.
I have started the return process of my unit though.

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #258 of 841
I prefer the disabling windows sounds fix so it just stays at 24/48 for all my non-music listening. trivial - but you like things a certain way you know. :)

I do like the unit. Sounds very good. Chassis is very nice. Display is nice but not as nice as the Topping D50. Volume knob feels great. Two buttons for navigating settings feel cheap. I think it's an attractive DAC/Amp and now that I found a work around for my one pain point, I'm enjoying it is use.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #259 of 841
Has anyone tried this DAC/Amp with any video game consoles yet? I'm particularly interested in if it works with the PS3, PS4 and Nintendo Switch

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #261 of 841
Has anyone tried this DAC/Amp with any video game consoles yet? I'm particularly interested in if it works with the PS3, PS4 and Nintendo Switch

I've got mine hooked up to a SNES and Nintendo 64. Both can be modified for SPDIF output. My SNES sounds really good but I'm blown away at how good the N64 sounds. Never before has the N64 felt so immersive. With games like Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, I feel as if I'm in the game rather than just playing it. And this is with an ancient pair of Skullcandy Crushers...I can't imagine how good it'll sound when I get some actual audiophile headphones
20181125_033041.jpg
20181114_151000.jpg

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #264 of 841
Anyone using this with the Focal Clear? I'd be especially interested in impressions of this combo while using the Monolith's internal DAC.

Not Clear, but I do use it with the Elex and Elegia. They sound very clean with them. On the tracks that benefit with DIRAC, it's really excellent as the soundstage is improved dramatically.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #265 of 841
Not Clear, but I do use it with the Elex and Elegia. They sound very clean with them. One the tracks that benefit with DIRAC, it's really excellent as the soundstage is improved dramatically.

Awesome. I see you also own the CTH. Any thoughts on how the Monolith compares to the Massdrop Cavalli?

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #266 of 841
I haven't tried them side-by-side, but I think the overall tonality is similar. I think both are leaner and wider sounding than other amps. The Monolith is probably more detailed though. There's also the added in functionality like DIRAC, EQ and balanced DACs.

I am considering selling my MCTH right now mostly because I think these two sound similar enough, and I prefer a tube to be warmer sounding to compliment the Monolith and the current headphones I have which are not warm/laid back.

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #267 of 841
That's been my experience with the MCTH as well, although the right tube will give it some warmth, especially noticeable with the Clears. While I'd welcome all of the functionality in the Monolith I'm a little concerned about losing the flexibility of tube rolling. Decisions, decisions. I've had the Monoprice amp for almost a week now and haven't opened it due to the possibility of sending it back. I suppose I might as well practice what I preach, unbox the Monolith, and give it a listen for myself. :)

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #268 of 841
That's been my experience with the MCTH as well, although the right tube will give it some warmth, especially noticeable with the Clears. While I'd welcome all of the functionality in the Monolith I'm a little concerned about losing the flexibility of tube rolling. Decisions, decisions. I've had the Monoprice amp for almost a week now and haven't opened it due to the possibility of sending it back. I suppose I might as well practice what I preach, unbox the Monolith, and give it a listen for myself. :)

Keep both. They stack on each other nicely. :)

I am using the Loxjie P20 balanced tube amp. It's a great compliment (warm and detailed with GE JAN 5670 tubes) and sounds quite good and under $100.

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #269 of 841
That's a pretty sweet looking little tube amp. I may just have to check it out too! As for keeping both, I'm afraid that my budget-conscious self can't swing it. I'd have to be happy with one or the other.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #270 of 841
I prefer the disabling windows sounds fix so it just stays at 24/48 for all my non-music listening. trivial - but you like things a certain way you know. :)

I do like the unit. Sounds very good. Chassis is very nice. Display is nice but not as nice as the Topping D50. Volume knob feels great. Two buttons for navigating settings feel cheap. I think it's an attractive DAC/Amp and now that I found a work around for my one pain point, I'm enjoying it is use.
This probably sounds dumb. But how did you disable windows so it stays at 24/48

Users who are viewing this thread

Back