Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Oct 9, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #16 of 841
Good point... Dirac Sensaround can be switched off when listening to speakers through line out

:) Flavio

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #18 of 841
One of the reasons why we ventured into this is that we have found that the need for individualization is less important than generally thought, provided that the HRTFs are modelled correctly... just as in room correction, trying to model every tiny detail of a head-related transfer function can lead to errors.
The solution needs to be robust to work for everyone.
Also we have not tried to make a system that takes a given HiFi room and transforms that into headphones.
We rather wanted to create an ideal listening space... real rooms and hifi systems have lots of problems that color the sound, which is exactly what we wanted to avoid.
In a sense the virtual HiFi room might be the ultimate room correction solution.

Flavio

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 841
I'm really interested in this one. I want to get a nice solid state amp and I'm pretty bummed I missed out on the Massdrop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon drop. This might be a good choice, since it has a built in DAC and I assume the DAC module is balanced since it has a balanced output? The Cavalli LC also have a balanced output but I would need a balanced DAC as well, which isn't cheap on its own. I really want to try balanced with my Elear/HD6XX. For $100 more this can be a winner, depends on the performance.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #20 of 841
I'm really interested in this one. I want to get a nice solid state amp and I'm pretty bummed I missed out on the Massdrop x Cavalli Liquid Carbon drop. This might be a good choice, since it has a built in DAC and I assume the DAC module is balanced since it has a balanced output? The Cavalli LC also have a balanced output but I would need a balanced DAC as well, which isn't cheap on its own. I really want to try balanced with my Elear/HD6XX. For $100 more this can be a winner, depends on the performance.

I wouldn't assume the DAC is balanced just because there is a balanced output. In fact, you can't even assume the amp is balanced just because it has balanced in and out; some amps are internally single-ended and only have those connectors for convenience. Probably best to wait for detailed specs if a fully balanced dac/amp is important to you.

Also the Cavalli LC does not require a balanced dac. And just generally, how balanced the design is will not be the main factor in determine how good it will sound in use.

If you do want a dac/amp combo with dual dac, may want to look at Topping DX7, Schiit Jotunheim w/dac, SMSL M9.

Or, on the portable side, the RHA L1 had a price drop to $300, that's fully balanced. And for a little less, the Shanling M3S is a fully balanced DAP that also works as a DAC/amp.

Nov 9, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #22 of 841
This looks really promising. I wonder how it will compare to the Jotunheim and Topping DX7.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #25 of 841
With the addition of the RCA outputs, I should be able to insert this into my two channel signal chain, right?

I have my Sonica DAC network player and I want to use it with both my two channel speaker set up AND my headphone set up. I am thinking I can now go Sonica DAC>>>Monolith>>>Emotiva PT-100 Pre Amp and that will let me use my source with both my headphone and two channel system, right?

I am actually really looking forward to this release and am hoping it isn't delayed for any reason. I have held off buying a new headphone amplifier for months waiting for the desktop amp.

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #27 of 841
Still can't pre-order but looks like they've raised prices for the portable and desktop from 230 and 400 to 280 and 480.... :triportsad:

I'm interested in the portable if the balanced out spec is accurate. I haven't seen a thread for the portable version yet, if someone sees it please point me to it. I'll have to wait 6 months for a Monoprice sale if the price keeps creeping!

Jan 15, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #28 of 841
I'm interested in the portable if the balanced out spec is accurate.

+1
Pics show everything except top view of the inputs/outputs. I also wonder if the the few details provided were cut/paste from the desktop description. Site says both amps will be available in about 2 weeks so no idea why Monoprice is still holding back on specs while raising prices.

If the portable does have balanced out plus bass/treble menu controls it might be just what I'm looking for (assuming it actually sounds good).

I do like the idea of the new AKM4493 built-in as well.

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #29 of 841
For those that want that "tube" sound, Monoprice is also going to release a new $400 tube amp/DAC.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29511
295111.jpg

Feb 19, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #30 of 841

Users who are viewing this thread

Back